Browsing: Using Banana Peels for Shining Shoes

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Using Banana Peels for Shining Shoes

Bananas are not only a quick snack, they can also clean your shoes in a second. Learn how to use banana peels for cleaning shoes in this guide.

September 16, 2011 Flag

My oldest son being flat footed and my middle son being a toe walker, their shoes get more scuffed than a normal very active boy. They also attend a private Christian school where there is a uniform policy. With mornings being extremely crazy anyway, I certainly do not have time to buff or polish shoes. This is particularly true, especially since we spend a big part of each morning looking for them, saving time is a must!

I had tried many different things, but I always was running late, with a job looking halfway finished for each boys shoes. My mom had told me a suggestion a long time ago which I thought was nuts. One morning being extremely rushed, all I had time to fix for breakfast along with making two lunches was cereal with banana. I remembered my mom's idea. I grabbed the banana peel and got to work, rubbing the inside of the peel on the outside of each pair of shoes. I grabbed a dishcloth and buffed it off. Amazingly the scuffs, dirt, and questionable marks were gone.

Now I had to admit to my mom she was once again right! Laughing she said, her grandmother had told her this when I started walking. She went on to say, that while her grandmother was at the salon getting her hair set, she had read it in a magazine. Bananas are not only a fast meal, they can also clean your shoes in a second. Try it, your mother may have known this also.

By Mistie from Baton Rouge, LA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

As a working mom of 3 boys, I know the rush and chaos that a house can have in the morning trying to get everyone off to work. May I suggest that you find a shelf for your porch, and get the boys to put their school shoes on the shelf every night, making sure that they are buffed up properly. I would make this one of their bedtime chores (or after school, if they do not wear those shoes after school). I suspect that the school insists on shiny shoes to develop some sort of self-discipline and self-respect in the children, not as a make-work project for moms. You could keep shoe cleaning cloths on the shelf, so that the buffing can be done without making trips to look for cleaning supplies. If you wanted them to use banana peels, they could do so. Developing routines to help with the early morning rush is a godsend, and is a good lifelong habit. Your son's wives will thank you for raising tidy and organized sons!!

May 12, 2008 Flag

Stop buying leather/shoe polish. To clean, buff or moisturize leather/pleather/vinyl or any shiny outerwear use a banana peel. Simply rub the inside of a banana peel over the item to be cleaned and buff with a soft cloth.

I have done this to my husband's motorcycle gear and it takes off dust, dead bugs, and buffs out small scuffs and scratches. I have also used it on kids shoes, purses, suitcases etc. It does work and no messy polish it deal with. I have heard that it works with potato peels too but have not tried that yet.

By Princesshammerhead from Saskatchewan, Canada

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a leather couch and love seat I am going to try this on. I will let you know how it comes out.

January 26, 2010 Flag

How do I make a shoe shine from banana peel?

By Kevin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 26, 2010 Flag

What is the procedure for making a shoe shine using a banana peeling?

Sel

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 4, 2009 Flag

Imagine this, you are at work and ready to go in for a big meeting with your boss. You notice that your shoes are scruffy looking. What do you do? Make use of that banana peel from your lunch. Shine your shoes by rubbing them with the inside of the banana peel. Then buff them up with a cloth or paper towel

By Katz

Editor's Note: We know nothing about making a commercial shoe polish or floor polish from banana peels or leaves. Sorry.

Banana Peel Shoe Shine

Add the banana peel with the hair dye. (09/07/2007)

By xtine

Banana Peel Shoe Shine

Banana and other fruits or vegetables are really rich in vitamins and minerals. And they contain what we call essential oils.

Going back to your basic organic chemistry. They contain organic substances known as esters.(search google as web search engine, use keyword esters. There you would fine the complete explanation about esters and ethyl) It is similar to the term fats and oils, there are good fats and oils and bad fats and oil.

Going back to your banana peel. The peel or skin gets its natural color from the sun and soil minerals producing natural skin oil like your skin. This essential oil is called in science as ethyl buterate, like your ethyl alcohol made from sugar cane (hydroxy groups) another is distillation process see also distillation keyword and essential oils.

One could synthesize oils and flavoring from just about any fruits, trees, or even leaves. There are boundless resources and derivatives in nature that already been discovered yet undisclosed to us in public. Source Naturally Occurring substance. See also National Geographic and Discovery Channel and Wonders of science and the Scientific world. See also encyclopaedia. Ok. Average_avg-widgets (03/15/2008)

By ThriftyFun

Banana Peel Shoe Shine

I heard it's tannin. (01/10/2009)

By gfg

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
In These Guides
someone buffing a shoe
Shining Shoes
Banana Peel
Uses for Banana Peels
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing ShoesJanuary 30, 2017
Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
A yellow banana peel.
Garden Uses for Banana Peels
Sliced banana bread on a cutting board.
Freezing Banana Bread
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 28, 2017 at 3:40:19 AM on 10.0.2.205 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.