Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Uses For Dental Floss

1 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Dental Floss Container

Dental floss can be helpful for many things around the house. This guide contains uses for dental floss.

Solutions: Uses For Dental Floss

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Alternate Uses for Dental Floss

For the past few weeks I've been writing down ideas to share for reusing dental floss instead of simply throwing it away after using. Here is what I've come up with which also gave me more ideas for uses beyond reusing after flossing. LOL!

After making the list, I decided to look online to see if I could find some other clever uses and the first one I am listing here is actually something I never would have thought of, but is important to keep in mind and the second one listed here that I found online made me giggle really hard. ;-)

Please share any other ideas you might have for reuse or use of dental floss.

• In emergencies, dental floss has been used to tie off severed arteries as a result of a freak accident or tie off the umbilical cord in an emergency delivery.

• There have been cases where prisoners escaped by using dental floss to cut through steel and in a separate case a prisoner climbed down the prison wall using dental floss woven into long rope. I can't help but wonder if prisoners are allowed to have dental floss any longer.

• Think about how you use floss for your teeth. What crevices around your house could use good floss cleaning, such as stoves tightly built-in between counter tops or other tight places where you might normally use a q-tip to clean?

• Use the mint flavored floss for supporting plants or for Christmas decorations, including stringing popcorn, because of its green color.

• Use it instead of wire or string to hang picture frames, repair or make wind chimes, and repair or make beaded necklaces and bracelets.

• Use dental floss to quickly and easily cut food such as eggs, cakes, soft cheese, bread, canned cranberry jelly, etc.

• Use it to tie up rolled meats and poultry for baking - I would recommend not using waxed floss for this.

• Dental floss is strong, so use it as thread to sew buttons or hooks and repair backpacks or other heavy material.

• Use instead of strings to tie up small packages.

• Broke a shoelace? Use floss until you can replace the lace.

• No rubber hair band? No problem, just tie your ponytail with the floss. You can do the same to use as an emergency cloth headband.

• Going fishing and have a hole or tear in your net? Repair it with floss. Come to think of it, floss would be excellent to repair any kind of netting.

• And now for my favorite! I've grown catnip in the past and tied sprigs of the catnip to one end of a long string to use as an interactive toy. I think I'll use dental floss in a pinch if I need to when I grow it again for Rachel.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Tip: Use Dental Floss for Sewing

Dental floss is cheap and much stronger than any thread. It works extremely well for sewing on buttons, tool holsters on jeans or anything, that you have fixed once before. I have also used it on packsacks and even sled dog harnesses.

By DearWebby from Black Diamond, Alberta

Tip: Dental Floss When Gathering Fabric

If, when gathering fabric or other material, your thread always breaks right at the most crucial time, I have found that using plain dental floss is wonderful. I use a (large) zigzag stitch on my sewing machine and run the floss under the zigzag (making sure it doesn't get caught). It pulls so easy to gather anything. I have made tutus and never torn the netting.

If you don't sew with a machine, use a large eyed needle to hand gather anything, just using the dental floss. Not only is it easy, but it is so cheap, you can get dental floss for as little as a $1 and it will last a long time. You can even re-use it! Never get in a bind again with broken thread when needing something gathered.

By Tessie from Tulsa, OK

Tip: Dental Floss for Sturdy Buttons

When my children were little, I used to secure buttons on their clothing with dental floss. There is no need to remove the button or existing thread. Just thread a needle with the floss and go through the shank or thread holes of the button once or even twice and tie it off. If it's a dark colored button, you can color the floss with a permanent marker to make it less noticeable.

You can't break dental floss with your bare hands and the buttons will stay on until you want them off. This is especially helpful on coats/jackets and jean waistbands. No more lost buttons!

Source: My Mom

By Carol from TX

Tip: Dental Floss to Thread Sewing Needles

You can use dental floss to thread needles. Put a loop of it through the needle and use it as a threader to pull the thread through the sewing needle. Those cheaply made metal ones always break.

By

Tip: Dental Floss to Slice Goat Cheese

Goat cheese is a rather soft cheese and difficult to cut with a knife. I found using dental floss works great for slicing.

By sooz from Toronto, ON

Tip: Use Dental Floss to Hang Plastic Easter Eggs

We like to hang up plastic Easter eggs on our trees outside. We found the best string to use was dental floss. It really withstands the weather well!

By Wendy S from Coopersburg, PA

Tip: Use Dental Floss to Repair a Sail

Like an old-time sailor, I took needle and thread and mended a rip in the sail of our boat. The needle was a heavy-duty one from the drug store - and the THREAD was DENTAL FLOSS. It fit through the needle and because it was WAXED, it slid easily through the sail cloth! I do recommend using dental floss for canvas repairs - as waxed heavy duty thread is hard to find nowadays. And in the case of the sail, the floss being white helped the tidiness of the repair (we then put sail tape over it, too.) But the goal was to keep the rip from going into the body of the sail - and as they say, a stitch in time saves 9!

By Pamphyila

Tip: Dental Floss for Making Repairs

Dental floss is perfect to repair tears in mesh items, such as playpens, beach and laundry bags, even mesh shoes. Simply use a small piece or two to tie the mesh back together. Floss is very sturdy!

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!