Dental Floss for Making Repairs

Dental floss is perfect to repair tears in mesh items, such as playpens, beach and laundry bags, even mesh shoes. Simply use a small piece or two to tie the mesh back together. Floss is very sturdy!

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Terrific idea! The very fine floss is also excellent for sewing button on heavy winter coats, especially kids' jackets.

Dear Marie, I also use floss for lots of things! I recently repaired screens with it. My dog goes crazy when pigeons land on the balcony and he is forever going through the plastic screen 'curtain' I have put up on the balcony doors. I find floss to be easy to work with and as it is stretchy, works well for many projects. I also recently used it when I had a christening to prepare for. I tied all the little organza gift bags with floss and then wrapped in ribbon. I also used floss to attach the dolls to the candals. This isn't the best picture but it gives you an idea.

I used dental floss for a hole in my jeans. The hole was right above the back pocket. I didn't have any thread, so I grabbed dental floss. You can see the white lines on the back, but it looks stylish. I've also washed them with the dental floss in them for weeks now, and it is still the same. So if you have a hole in your jeans and you don't care about seeing the thread you can use dental floss and it will hold forever (I think, I hope. :)

I had a hole above my back pocket in my favorite pair of jeans. I had a needle but no thread. I grabbed dental floss and sewed up the hole with vertical lines. It turned out great! I have even washed them a number of times, and I haven't had a problem with them since.

Use it for making a gasket. Just put gasket sealer on floss and lay it on one side of surface and bolt parts together.

I feed the finches thistle seed, the feeders are of a mesh that come with a hanger very, very fine mesh. Some times bigger birds peck at the hanging bags and a rip appears. Dental floss is great for repairs, just thread a large needle with it, sew up your little hole and the birds do not lose their seed.