Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Uses for Pickle Juice

Before you pour that pickle juice down the drain, consider that there are ways to use it. This is a guide about uses for pickle juice.

July 9, 2009 Flag

These popsicles are made from pickle juice. My grandkids love them. Pour the pickle juice in Popsicle molds, and freeze. The kids love them, and even my pregnant niece loves them.

Source: They sell them at my grandson's T-ball games.

By branbrumom from Vian, OK

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Our school concession stand has been doing this for years using small cups and coffee stirrers for sticks. The kids love them.

September 30, 2010 Flag

I recently got a huge jar of pickles for under a dollar due to overstocking. My aunt always did this with her pickle juice, and I plan to do the same: Once all of the pickles have been eaten from your jar, save the pickle juice.

Buy a cucumber, slice into wedges or thin slices, and put into your old jar of pickling juices for 5-7 days. Now you have ANOTHER cheap jar of pickles, for only the cost of one little old cucumber!

By AlaskanAurora from Dutch Harbor, Alaska

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What an excellent idea! another "if I only had a brain" moment! (If I only had a brain I would have thought of that!) Looking forward to trying to do this! Thanks!

July 1, 2010 Flag

I never knew what to do about all that tasty dill pickle juice after the pickles were gone. I did some searching on the internet and found this. People thought I was nuts, until they tried it. I get frequent requests for this dish now. It has a unique taste that is impossible not to enjoy (if you enjoy dill pickles). It even tastes great cold. Great for a picnic and is what I'll be making for our Canada Day picnic.

Directions:

Dip pieces of chicken in milk and then into the flour mixture.

In a frying pan, cook chicken in oil just long enough to brown the crust. Drain on paper towels.

Place pieces in a 9x13 inch pan or glass casserole dish.

Pour dill pickle juice half way up chicken.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours, basting occasionally. Turn chicken over after 65 to 70 minutes and continue cooking, uncovered.

The juice will be absorbed.

Servings: 4-6
Time:5 Minutes Preparation Time
1 3/4 Hours Cooking Time

Source: recipezaar.com

By sooz from Toronto, ON

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am border line diabetic. Is dill pickle juice good for this and will it keep my blood sugar down.

September 8, 2010 Flag

Use up pickle juice by adding mayonnaise, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper until it is the consistency and flavor you prefer. Adding pickle juice with spices to sour cream makes a tasty dip for veggies too.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 22, 2013 Flag

My dad puts dill pickle juice on his hydrangea roots to make them turn purple and pink instead of just white. They are very pretty.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 25, 2010 Flag

Not long ago someone here asked for ideas to use pickle juice. The question definitely got me thinking. I found one chicken recipe at Allrecipes but didn't like a few of the ingredients so here's my tweak on it.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 21, 2010 Flag

Drink a full glass of pickle juice leftover from when you run out of pickles or if you have more juice than the pickles for a good laxative.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 28, 2008 Flag

I made my usual unimpressive corned beef hash (leftover corned beef, diced and pan sauteed onions and cubed potatoes). On a whim, I added a couple of splashes of pickle juice at the very end.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 27, 2006 Flag

Is the pickle juice from pickles good for a puppy? Also, what can a dog eat and not eat? I am taking care of my sisters dog and I need to know this stuff!

rhindy from Hartford, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Pickle juice is good for puppies that have a sickness resulting in lethargy and dehydration. pickle juice is full of electrolites, which are lost during dehydration and are essential to nerve communication. The pickle juice is also full of sodium which allows the body to retain water rather than pass it. You should only give the dog small amounts as to much sodium will farther dehydrate it. Pickle juice is comparable to concentrated gatorade; and people drink gatorade, propell, poweraid ect. when they get any dehydrating desease such as a stomach bug. When my puppy was recovering from Parvo (an extremely deadly desease common in puppies) my vet instructed me to give the dog pickle juice and plenty of water.

yes, i wanna give pickles to my dog, but is it allowed? i guess not ... i dunno, it's vegetables anyway =P

But what about pickles are they ok?

January 22, 2012 Flag

What uses does pickle juice have?

By Sue

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We like sweet pickle juice on our turnip salad. I also use it when making deviled eggs and potato salad.

February 26, 2009 Flag

I like the expensive zesty pickles, so when the jar is empty I refill it with store brand dill pickles and get a flavor close to the originals.

By Lynn

Answers:

Reusing Zesty Pickle Juice

Another thing you could to with the juice is put in other vegetables, such as cauliflower, carrots, onion slices to pickle them. Also you could pickle hard cooked eggs. (12/05/2004)

By eve w

Reusing Zesty Pickle Juice

For pickling boiled eggs I like to use a combination of juice from pickles and from hot pickled sausages, such as Penrose. Also, okra pickles up very well, as does any kind of pepper. I just love that kind of stuff! (12/08/2004)

By Alph

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 8, 2010 Flag

What other recipes or uses for pickle juice are there?

By jamish

Answers:

Reusing Pickle Juice

My husband likes peeled boiled eggs marinated in it for a while (yuck!), but I like any cut veggie, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, beets, onions, celery, etc, even add black pepper and garlic to help flavor it a bit, then you can either eat off and on, or drain and have a great salad with a meal. (07/15/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Reusing Pickle Juice

My father-in-law adds garlic, Mrs. Dash; whatever spices you like and he uses it to baste ribs on the grill. It's good! (07/15/2009)

By kghsave

Reusing Pickle Juice

My mom used to put pearl onions in the leftover juice and let sit in the fridge for a while (how long I don't remember). I don't buy pickles because of the sodium levels but I recall them being pretty tasty. (07/15/2009)

By COflower

Reusing Pickle Juice

I use pickle juice to let down mayo when making coleslaw. It adds a very nice flavor! (07/15/2009)

By tresenm

Reusing Pickle Juice

I have never tried this but read about it. Freeze the juice to be used as ice pops. If any one has tried this, could you give us your opinion about it? Thanks. (07/16/2009)

By mkymlp

Reusing Pickle Juice

I make my cole slaw with pickle juice. I put cabbage, cut up tomatoes, cut up pickles, add mayo, salt and pepper, pickle juice. From my grandmother. (07/16/2009)

By MomSc2002

Reusing Pickle Juice

Use pickle juice as the acid in a marinade for meat. Pickle juice, garlic, pepper, mustard mix to a thin paste, brush on meat. Leave for an hour up to overnight Cook as you like BBQ, or broil. Works well for tougher cuts or wild meat. Sweet pickle juice will make a sweet flavor and works well on chicken (07/16/2009)

By Lazateda

Reusing Pickle Juice

I slice up hot peppers and put in the pickle juice. My husband likes to put these on sandwiches. Just remember to wear some rubber gloves when slicing, especially if the peppers are very hot. (07/20/2009)

By K Kwaak

Reusing Pickle Juice

You can use it to pickle beets and eggs. (07/22/2009)

By marymargaret

Reusing Pickle Juice

You could add it to a Bloody or Virgin Mary drink. (08/18/2009)

By ZViolet.etsy.com

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 14, 2009 Flag

When you eat all the pickled peaches from the jar, pour the juice off a can of regular peaches, put them in the jar, tighten the lid and refrigerate them for several days before eating. Do the same with left over sweet pickle juice and put canned beets in them. Put boiled eggs in dill pickle juice.

Source: This is just tips that have been passed down through the family.

By BJ from Mid MO

Answers:

Reusing Pickle Juice

We always dropped all kinds of veggies in our pickle jars. Love onion that way. My kids always liked broccoli and cauliflower soaked in the pickle juice. Thankfully I only had one out of five that was a picky eater. All the rest of them loved most vegetables and meat. (02/26/2009)

By CindyM56

Reusing Pickle Juice

I save the juice from sweet pickles to add to salad dressing to make a fast cole slaw dressing. By the way, I always buy my sweet pickles at the Dollar store, $1.00 vs @2.50 in grocery store. (02/27/2009)

By WIsgal

Reusing Pickle Juice

We all think of the great uses of the pickle juice to pickle other veggies and things. But, did you know you can use the pickle juice to also settle an upset tummy. In a small container, save some of the juice for "medicinal" purposes. You will be happy you did.

Try making pickled watermelon rind. Take off the skin, and then drop the pieces into some pickle juice. You can also come up with a great pickling juice of your very own for this one.

(03/02/2009)

By TxBluEyes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceFebruary 7, 2013
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
Frozen Juice Containers on White Background
Reusing Frozen Juice Containers
A glass of orange juice.
Saving Money on Juice
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 21, 2017 at 2:32:07 PM on 10.0.2.57 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.