Uses for Potato Peels

Don't toss those potato peels. They can be used as a tasty snack or in your garden. This is a guide about uses for potato peels.

June 1, 2011 Flag

When peeling potatoes for mashed potatoes, save the peelings. Put the peelings in a bowl; season with seasoned salt, pepper, and a little Italian dressing; and toss. Bake, on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until they are crispy. The are good for a quick and healthy snack. Hope you enjoy this frugal snack!

By Dorothy from New Creek, WV

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This sounds really great. Can't wait to try it the only thing I would add is to remember to wash the potatoes before peeling.

I assumed everyone would know that! lol. Thanks for the input!

Read More Comments...

January 4, 2011 Flag

Usually I cook my potatoes with their skin on, because the skin is high in vitamins and fiber. But with tiny tots in the family now who have difficulty chewing the skins, I have had to start peeling them. I save the skins, crisp them and add them to the next night's meals.

This is economical for those trying to stretch the budget and fun for kids of all ages, who have teeth. :-) The crisps are a big hit and we can stretch the potatoes to go further.

By Linda from Australia

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I saw this in the Tightwad Gazette years ago, but only tried it last night. The post there said to sprinkle with cheese at the end. They were delicious. I will not be making this again. I never throw away peels. I use them for vegetable stock, and compost them as well.

Can't wait to try this! Any way to cut a food bill is worth the try. It also sounds better than fried snacks.

Read More Comments...

February 8, 2006 Flag

I use potato peels as mulch and fertilizer.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 3, 2011 Flag

Don't throw those potato peels away. Instead, rinse and pat dry. Cut any spoiled parts off and discard. Place the peels on a greased cookie sheet and drizzle oil over all. Sprinkle with seasonings and bake at 350 degrees F til crispy. This is a tasty, fast snack.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Answers:

Potato Peel Snacks

What a great idea! Sounds good! Years ago I stopped peeling potatoes for mashed; just scrubbed them well and mashed along with the peels. Everyone asked about it and I said that's where most of the nutrients are! So most of my family and friends started just mashing them with the peels on as well. (10/07/2010)

By MzScarlett

Potato Peel Snacks

Please make sure that the peels have no green in them or small eye spots, as these can contain Solanine, which can cause serious illness. Symptoms generally occur after 8-12 hours after ingestion and can include gastrointestinal disturbances and neurological disorders.

Mild symptoms can include headaches, dizziness, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Other symptoms can include: fever, restlessness, drowsiness and mental confusion, trembling and hallucination, sleep disorders, loss of libido, clumsiness, depression, anxiety, coma, delirium, and a variety of pains in ribs and pelvis, coldness, anxiety, lack of sense of warmth and empathy for other humans, and visual effects.

The effects of solanine are broad and very hard to categorize simply here - and they can last years, but because the symptoms are common to a whole host of other ailments, mistaken diagnoses can occur, and not all symptoms may be present in any individual case of solanine poisoning. The range of symptoms experienced can be more varied and extensive after regular exposure to less than toxic
levels than through direct poisoning with toxic levels.

I mention this because myself and a cousin are both highly sensitive to this, and both have had to go to the ER because of it. (10/07/2010)

By Jron7667

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 5, 2010 Flag

Here's a way to enjoy potato peels instead of throwing them away. Scrub the potatoes before peeling. Put the peels in a linen type kitchen towel and roll up to absorb excessive moisture. I have stored the peels in the towel and put in plastic bag in the refrigerator overnight because I didn't have to time to bake them. They turned brownish orange in color but were still okay to bake.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cover large cookie sheet(s) with foil, not necessary but is an easy clean up, add potato peels. Mix in oil to coat, salt and pepper to taste. Other spices can be added to your taste. Bake for about 5-10 minutes, stir, then bake another 5-10 minutes or until crispy brown. It is better to watch when the potatoes are baking. Different types of potatoes have a different moisture content so some may bake faster than others. If you have a lot of peels, you make have to mix more often or use more cookies sheets.

They taste like homemade potato chips. We no longer throw away the potato peels.

By Mkymlp from PA

Answers:

Potato Peel Snacks

I never thought of such a thing! Thanks I am going to try this next time I make mashed potatoes. (05/21/2009)

By MrsJim

Potato Peel Snacks

I just tried this, and it works! Thank you! (05/21/2009)

By CheapInPortland

Potato Peel Snacks

You just got my vote! Thumbs up! (05/21/2009)

By SweetCali40

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesFebruary 5, 2013
Lemon Peel
Uses for Citrus Peels
Potato Peel Crisps
Potato Peel Crisps
Composting Citrus Peels
Composting Citrus Peels
Banana Peel
Uses for Banana Peels
🎉
🎄