Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Uses for Potato Peels

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Peeling a potato.

Don't toss those potato peels. They can be used as a tasty snack or in your garden. This is a guide about uses for potato peels.

Solutions: Uses for Potato Peels

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Baked Potato Peels

When peeling potatoes for mashed potatoes, save the peelings. Put the peelings in a bowl; season with seasoned salt, pepper, and a little Italian dressing; and toss. Bake, on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until they are crispy. The are good for a quick and healthy snack. Hope you enjoy this frugal snack!

By Dorothy from New Creek, WV

Tip: Potato Peels As Snacks

Usually I cook my potatoes with their skin on, because the skin is high in vitamins and fiber. But with tiny tots in the family now who have difficulty chewing the skins, I have had to start peeling them. I save the skins, crisp them and add them to the next night's meals.

This is economical for those trying to stretch the budget and fun for kids of all ages, who have teeth. :-) The crisps are a big hit and we can stretch the potatoes to go further.

By Linda from Australia

Tip: Potato Peels for Mulch and Fertilizer

I use potato peels as mulch and fertilizer.

By Julie from WV

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Potato Peel Snacks

Here's a way to enjoy potato peels instead of throwing them away. Scrub the potatoes before peeling. Put the peels in a linen type kitchen towel and roll up to absorb excessive moisture. I have stored the peels in the towel and put in plastic bag in the refrigerator overnight because I didn't have to time to bake them. They turned brownish orange in color but were still okay to bake.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cover large cookie sheet(s) with foil, not necessary but is an easy clean up, add potato peels. Mix in oil to coat, salt and pepper to taste. Other spices can be added to your taste. Bake for about 5-10 minutes, stir, then bake another 5-10 minutes or until crispy brown. It is better to watch when the potatoes are baking. Different types of potatoes have a different moisture content so some may bake faster than others. If you have a lot of peels, you make have to mix more often or use more cookies sheets.

They taste like homemade potato chips. We no longer throw away the potato peels.

By Mkymlp from PA

RE: Potato Peel Snacks

I never thought of such a thing! Thanks I am going to try this next time I make mashed potatoes. (05/21/2009)

By MrsJim

RE: Potato Peel Snacks

I just tried this, and it works! Thank you! (05/21/2009)

By CheapInPortland

RE: Potato Peel Snacks

You just got my vote! Thumbs up! (05/21/2009)

By SweetCali40

Archive: Potato Peel Snacks

Don't throw those potato peels away. Instead, rinse and pat dry. Cut any spoiled parts off and discard. Place the peels on a greased cookie sheet and drizzle oil over all. Sprinkle with seasonings and bake at 350 degrees F til crispy. This is a tasty, fast snack.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

RE: Potato Peel Snacks

What a great idea! Sounds good! Years ago I stopped peeling potatoes for mashed; just scrubbed them well and mashed along with the peels. Everyone asked about it and I said that's where most of the nutrients are! So most of my family and friends started just mashing them with the peels on as well. (10/07/2010)

By MzScarlett

RE: Potato Peel Snacks

Please make sure that the peels have no green in them or small eye spots, as these can contain Solanine, which can cause serious illness. Symptoms generally occur after 8-12 hours after ingestion and can include gastrointestinal disturbances and neurological disorders.

Mild symptoms can include headaches, dizziness, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Other symptoms can include: fever, restlessness, drowsiness and mental confusion, trembling and hallucination, sleep disorders, loss of libido, clumsiness, depression, anxiety, coma, delirium, and a variety of pains in ribs and pelvis, coldness, anxiety, lack of sense of warmth and empathy for other humans, and visual effects.

The effects of solanine are broad and very hard to categorize simply here - and they can last years, but because the symptoms are common to a whole host of other ailments, mistaken diagnoses can occur, and not all symptoms may be present in any individual case of solanine poisoning. The range of symptoms experienced can be more varied and extensive after regular exposure to less than toxic levels than through direct poisoning with toxic levels.

I mention this because myself and a cousin are both highly sensitive to this, and both have had to go to the ER because of it. (10/07/2010)

By Jron7667