Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Looking for info on applesauce instead of oil in recipes. If it calls for 1 cup of oil do you use 1 cup of applesauce?

Thanks,
Bagossage

Answers:

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Yes - just substitute unsweetened applesauce for oil in whatever amount the recipe calls for. (05/15/2006)

By Crystal

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I have used applesauce in baking to replace oil for quite some time. Yes, use the same amount of unsweetened applesauce in the recipe instead of oil. I once tried to replace butter in a recipe thinking it would be the same, IT ISN'T. So, I only replace oil. (05/15/2006)

By Darlene in Mississauga

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I have found that if you use the whole cup of applesauce, the baked item is just too heavy and dense. I use 1/2 to 3/4 cup and the rest canola oil. That seems to work fine. (05/15/2006)

By Sandy

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I have used unsweetened applesauce in my baking recipes for some time now and no one can tell the difference. I use the same amount of applesauce as what is called for in the oil or shortening measurements. No need to reduce liquid and everything comes out moist and delicious! (05/16/2006)

By maggiemay

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

You can also use nonfat yogurt in recipes (cakes, breads etc) and get great results. You use the same amount that the recipe calls for in oil.
(05/16/2006)

By Crys

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Yes, just substitute the oil measurement with applesauce. Though I personally do add a little oil otherwise the texture changes. Do not try this with pie crust, anyway for me it does not work. Otherwise you can use any of your favorite recipes with the applesauce.

happy baking Lori (05/17/2006)

By Lori

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

While you can substitute the same amount, I prefer to start out by using 1/2 oil and 1/2 applesauce, then go from there. I've had certain cookies turn out tough and cakes that do not rise the same. Also without any oil, sometimes there is a texture change. By starting with 1/2 of each, you are able to make any necessary adjustments. (05/22/2006)

By susanmajp