Valentine's Day Heart Garlands

There are a variety of ways to fashion a fun heart themed garland to decorate for Valentine's day. This is a guide about Valentine's day heart garlands.

January 25, 2011 Flag

This is the very first project I ever tried using a sewing machine. Like many others, the thought of using a sewing machine was intimidating. After tackling this easy project, I realized that the sewing machine isn't that intimidating. You can go as slow as necessary when sewing the hearts together and you don't need to worry about keeping a perfectly straight line. So if you are like I was and read 'sewing required' and decided it was too hard to try, please keep reading.

Materials needed:

Cost: As little as $1. A sheet of felt costs .20 cents at most craft stores and you could get as many as 30-50 hearts from sheet, depending on the size you want.

Approximate time: 30 minutes to an hour depending on desired length and how much of a perfectionist you want to be.

Instructions:

1. Cut heart shapes out of your sheets of felt. You can cut any size that you want. Some of mine are about the size of a nickle for the small size and just under 2 inches for the big size. I cut about 85 hearts.
  2. Once they are cut, organize them in the order you want them to be sewed. Organizing will help streamline the process.
  3. Sew! Bring your organized hearts to the sewing machine. You'll want to a simple straight stitch (not zig zag). Grab your first heart (I found it easiest to start at the center of the top of the heart and work down to the point), put it under the foot and start sewing a few stitches. If you haven't sewed before, you'll want to press down on the pedal a few times to get a few stitches in your heart and then you'll want to reverse the stitch to lock the stitch in so it doesn't unravel (there is usually a button you press on the sewing machine that will let you reverse the stitch). After you lock in your stitch, continue through the first heart, be ready to grab the next color heart in line and start to feed it under the foot so it can be a few stitches behind the first heart. They do not need to be touching each other, even if there is no material under the foot, the machine will continue to stitch the tread together like a floss until it reaches the next heart. Continue feeding through your hearts until you come to your desired length. You will want to lock in your stitch on the last heart as well, again, this will make sure that the stitches don't unravel.

Find a place to hang your garland. Step back and admire.

In the close up picture, you can see I used white thread and had a few stitches between each heart. Mine are not perfect, but I think that's what gives it a homemade charm.

By mom2gracie from Wheaton, IL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

February 8, 2010 Flag

Cut apart a milk jug or other white plastics, clear plastic from product packaging and cut hearts in several sizes.
(I used all of the milk jug except for the handle, bottom and areas too curved or thick to work with)

Use a thumb tack, thick sewing needle, or pin to punch a hole big enough to fit a small size crochet hook through.

Using your choice of cord or thread, chain stitch 20 stitches between each plastic heart (20 worked best for me). Continue until you are out of hearts or have reached the desired length of the garland. You can trace the hearts on with premade patterns or cut them out freehand.

I used a Sizzix, which is an excellent investment for those of us who are concerned with too much household trash to contend with or those who wish to keep more from going to the dumps. They even cut pop or beer cans so you can make free usable deco for use in your home or in crafting! (I will upload a photo when I am finished). Also, I have reduced my collection of saved kitchen cardboard to a neat stack of cardboard cutouts I have a plan for.

Source: My need to reduce garbage

By Melody_yesterday

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

February 14, 2010 Flag

Valentine's Day Garland for decorating your home or classroom.

Approximate Time: 1 hour

*Amount will depend on how long you make your garland

Instructions:

Size: Approximately 2.5 inches across each heart Chain 24 and make heart (pattern below) in the 4th ch from hook, repeat for the length you want. End by chaining 20 and fastening off.

Make all stitches in the designated chain. 3 tc, 3 dc, chain 1, 1 tc, chain 1, 3 dc, 3 tc, chain 2, slip stitch. Fasten off.

Notes:

By Suzie from Bellingham, WA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts Valentine's DayFebruary 11, 2014
Wedding Favor Ideas for a Valentine's Day Wedding, White and red boxes for Valentine's Day wedding favors.
Valentine's Day Wedding Favor Ideas
Valentine's Day Tips for Men, Man giving a heart shaped chocolate box and roses.
Valentine's Day Tips for Men
Folded red paper hearts
Valentine's Day Heart Crafts
Green Valentine's Day Ideas, heart shaped leaf
Being Single on Valentine's Day
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 3:18:39 PM on 10.0.0.212 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.