Wall Hanging Craft Ideas

Making a decorative wall hanging, whether for the holidays or to enhance your decor is a great craft project for the novice or experienced crafter. This is a guide about wall hanging craft ideas.

January 26, 2017 Flag

A recycled CD as a floral wall hanging.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A CD, some lace, and a faux flower are used to create this pretty wall hanging. This is a guide about CD wall hanging.

January 26, 2017 Flag

Red and white heart wall hanging.

Painted wooden hearts and ribbon are used to create this pretty wall hanging. It is perfect for Valentine's Day and all year long. This is a guide about hearts and ribbon wall hanging.

January 26, 2017 Flag

Driftwood Wall Hanging

Large or small pieces of driftwood can be used to make lovely rustic wall hangings. You can add beads and other decorative items to tailor the hanging to complement your decor. This is a guide about making a driftwood wall hanging.

January 25, 2017 Flag

hand print wall hanging

This is a guide about making a homemade handprint wall hanging. This colorful fabric wall hanging would be a perfect decoration for a growing family.

December 19, 2016 Flag

finished flag wall hanging

This is a guide about making a crocheted flag wall hanging. Red, white and blue yarn can be crocheted with this pattern into a wall hanging reminiscent of the American flag.

November 16, 2016 Flag

Autumn Felt Wall or Door Hanging

February 18, 2016 Flag

Gluing into heart.

This is a guide about making a heart shaped wall hanging. A heart shaped wall hanging will make a nice addition to your holiday or everyday decor.

July 30, 2014 Flag

Japanese reed mat

This is a guide about making a tatami wall hanging. Traditionally tatami mats were made of rice straw and used as a floor covering in Japanese homes.

February 27, 2013 Flag

Crochet Heart Wall Hanging

This is a guide about making a crochet heart wall hanging. Crochet wall hangings are a beautiful addition to your home's decor, as well as fun to make.

May 6, 2012 Flag

Embroidery Hoop Wall Hanging

This is a guide about embroidery hoop wall hangings. An embroidery hoop makes a quick and simple frame for, or can be an integral part of, your craft project.

November 3, 2010 Flag

Every time I go beachcombing here where I live, on the shores of the Bering Sea, I find sea glass and tangled balls of thick copper wire on the sand. I started picking the copper up, hoping I would be able to one day figure out something beautiful and one-of-a-kind to make from it, which I now have! This copper wire cross makes the perfect Easter gift; mine looks divine on the wall of my kitchen!

Approximate Time: 1 hour

Instructions:

1. Put on gloves and spread out the old towel over your work space.

2. Take your ball of wire and use your hands to gently straighten it out until you have long pieces.

3. Snip off a section of wire approximately 15 inches long.

4. Snip off another section, approximately 9 inches long.

5. Gather your remaining pieces of wire, and cut 6 equal sections off; place these next to your 9-inch cross-section.

6. Now cut five slightly longer pieces of wire in varying lengths; mine are (from shortest to longest): 6 inch, 8 inch, 9 inch, 10 inch, and 12 inch.

7. Place those five longer pieces with the 15-inch long wire.

8. With your remaining wire, cut into two equal pieces; snip one of those into two (so that you now have three total) and set aside from all others.

9. Starting with the 9-inch piece and its accompanying six, use one of the two last smallest wires from step eight to wind around and make those seven into a bundle, positioning the nine-inch piece toward the very middle of the bunch.

10. Using your needle-nose pliers, curl all six ends either outward or inward, working in a symmetrical fashion (see picture).

11. Now gather up the 15-in piece of wire and its accompanying five pieces of copper wire; again, use the other smallest piece of wire from step eight to wind around and make those six into a bundle as you position the 15-inch piece toward the middle of the bunch.

12. Use the pliers to once again curl the wires, this time all outward into little spirals (I staggered my curls in reminiscence of waves; see picture).

13. You should have two curly bundle pieces and one piece of stray wire left.

14. Position the shorter bundle over and at a ninety-degree angle over the longer bundle to form the shape of a cross.

15. Holding firmly in place, use that last piece of wire to secure the two together, wrapping in an "x" pattern until all the wire is used and the tails are tucked behind your cross, leaving about an inch on both ends to make a loop for hanging.

16. With the last inch of both tails, twist back upon themselves until you have a satisfactory little loop; now fold it up so that it lays flat against the back of the cross.

17. Find a deserving piece of wall to hang your newest treasure on, and pat yourself heartily on the back!

By Brianna from Dutch Harbor, AK

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I Love this! Very creative!

September 15, 2008 Flag

Make your own scenes outside your "window". If you don't have a window, just paint one! I love beach and lighthouse scenes. So, I made my window looking out at a lighthouse.

Approximate Time

Instructions:

1. Paint the plaque with a sealer such as Kilz.
  2. Draw your "window frame" around the outside of the plaque.
  3. Paint frame in white or brown to match your molding.
  4. Draw out and paint your scene.
  5. Draw a cross through the middle of the oval, making sure it is centered.
  6. Enlarge the cross to the same size "pieces" as the outside of your "window frame." Paint in white or brown.
  7. Use a gray or dark brown, depending on your molding color, make shadows on the inside of your frame. Also on the cross to make it look like the pieces are joined. This gives it depth and makes it look more real.
  8. Spray with the clear sealer.
  9. Affix picture hanger on back side.

By Artlady from Edmond, OK

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks, thanks! I was looking for a way to use some beautiful pictures I have This is an excellent art/craft way to put pictures to use and make the piece look like it's well made. You did a very good job, and again, thanks!

November 9, 2009 Flag

wall hanging

Are you having a hard time with trying to decide what to place on your wall in your open foyer? Or even just on a long wall? I have the solution for you!

January 12, 2007 Flag

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a ruined lace tablecloth that was reincarnated into a wall hanging! I cut a broom handle to fit and painted it. I put the drawer pull on the right end to go with the leaf rod finial on the other - its attached to the wall with 2 cup hooks.

July 22, 2008 Flag

Examples of wall hangings made with scrap fabrics.

Can't figure out what to do with all that extra fabric hanging around in your crafting bags?

October 15, 2007 Flag

Make a gorgeous fabric picture frame to coordinate with your curtains or drapes! Pick large frame like the size of 11x14 inches, 16x20 inches, or 18x20 inches. Larger sizes look more dramatic.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 17, 2009 Flag

Christmas tree felt wall hanging

Using only felt, buttons, and thread I hand sewed this Christmas wall hanging while watching TV at night!

February 19, 2008 Flag

Prayer Wall Hanging

Use decorative edge scissors or pinking shears to cut around edge of fabric. Glue to center of craft foam or construction paper. Glue ribbon under each corner of fabric for hanger.

August 15, 2009 Flag

Looking for instructions for how to make handmade wall hanging or craft.

By sanjyot from Mumbai

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://cross-st  wCFQMQswod63E9lA

What kind of wall hanging were you looking for? There are quilts, crafty with felt, macrame, crocheted. What season if any? What room? It depends on what you are looking for.

December 22, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have any idea of how to make a recycled craft using a plastic cake keeper? I am thinking of trying to make a decorative wall hanging or so on?

By chitra from Fremont, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can hot glue plastic flowers to it for a pretty wall hanging, good luck.

November 9, 2009 Flag

I bought a piece of material at WalMart that has the 23rd Psalm on it. The piece measures 33 inches wide by 42 inches long. I want to make a wall hanging out of it but I am not sure how. What I would really like to do is to stretch it across and tack it to the frame so it is tight and the words and the picture stand out. I know that if I could do this it would make a beautiful, but inexpensive wall hanging. Has anybody out there ever done this? Would you share your method with me?

Thank you.
Louise from FL

Answers:

Making a Fabric Wall Hanging

There is an article in this months issue of Better Homes and Gardens on how to do just that. They took a piece of material and a piece of plywood and just pulled the material tight and used a staple gun to staple the material to the back of the plywood. They folded down the corners, kind-of like wrapping a present. It looked really nice even w/ out a frame around it. (05/25/2005)

By Rebecca

Making a Fabric Wall Hanging

I've made fabric wall hangings by placing dowels through pockets, made like you would curtains. The bottom dowel weights the fabric to stretch it. Tassels can be placed on the corners, and a piece of silky braid tied loosely at the two top corners will provide something to hang it. Good luck with whichever method you choose. It sounds lovely. (05/25/2005)

By Alex

Making a Fabric Wall Hanging

You can get wood stretcher bars like used in artist canvases from any art supplier in almost every size. Try the Dick Blick advertisement in this newsletter. Simply put them together (they interlock at the corners) and staple or tack the edge of the material to the back of the stretcher bars neatly. Good luck! sounds like it would make up lovely. (05/25/2005)

By Donna

Making a Fabric Wall Hanging

I am thinking that it is poly/cotton blend.So you need some wonder under-the stiff white stuff you can put on the back to make it not be so flimsy. Cut the wonder under the same size as the Psalm fabric.Choose a solid color same size as the Psalm fabric.By putting the wonder under between the Psalm fabric and the solid color and fold the edges down and stitch down all but the top edges. Get a dowel rod and cut it the same size as the fabric at the top of the hanging,leaving an inch on either side. Fold the top of the fabric over the dowel rod and stitch it down. Tie colorful cord or heavy rope-like twine on the dowel rod,and hang from the middle.

Hope this makes sense.

(09/06/2006)

By Nancy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts Home Decor WallsApril 18, 2013
Red and white heart wall hanging.
Hearts and Ribbon Wall Hanging
Embroidery Hoop Wall Hanging
Embroidery Hoop Wall Hangings
finished flag wall hanging
Making a Crocheted Flag Wall Hanging
A recycled CD as a floral wall hanging.
CD Wall Hanging
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 3:50:35 PM on 10.0.0.241 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.