Wearing Earrings With Sensitive Skin

There are ways to tolerate those inexpensive earrings when you react to the metals they contain. This guide is about wearing earrings with sensitive skin.

June 27, 2012 Flag

I used to have to wear only gold or silver earrings. I have some costume earrings that are very pretty. When I try and wear them, my ear lobes end up getting red and sore. I have to treat them by rubbing them with antibiotic cream. One day I thought, why not treat the earring post with the antibiotic cream and then put them in my earlobes. I coated the earring post with the antibiotic cream and then put them in. I was able to wear them all the day with no problem, soreness, or red earlobes. Now I am able to wear any earrings I want with no problems. Try this, it really worked great for me.

By Dorothy from New Creek, WV

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 6 Comments

March 27, 2012 Flag

My pierced ears tend to "close up" if I go without wearing earrings for a while. And putting earrings in again can be difficult and painful. I found a way to slip them right in and keep them from hurting after I've had a lengthy earring lay-off. Dip the ends of the post or the part that goes through your ear in an antibiotic ointment. Then insert as usual.

They should go in with a lot less trouble, or no trouble at all. Plain petroleum jelly works too, but I like the added insurance of keeping infection at bay that the ointment provides. If the earrings have a separate back piece, dab a bit of ointment on it too. This should take care of any icky seepage that tends to get crusty when you haven't worn earrings in a while.

By Gloria from upstate NY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 5 Comments

August 10, 2011 Flag

If some pierced earrings bother your ears (make them itch), coat the posts with clear nail polish and let dry for 24 hours. This may stop the itching.

By Cheryl from Nova Scotia, Canada

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

October 31, 2004 Flag

Some of the earrings I wear have caused my ear lobes to break out, get itchy and turn red. I find that by putting clear nail polish on the backs of those earrings, I am able to still wear the earrings I really like. After some use, I find I need to re-apply the polish. It works great.

By Barbie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 16 Comments

August 5, 2011 Flag

I had a problem wearing any kind of earrings, no matter if they were silver, gold, etc. Then I tried what is called "nickle free" earrings. Now I can wear mine all day long without any itching or infections.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 18, 2013 Flag

I seem to have an allergy to nickel since I cannot wear cheap earings without my earlobes bothering me. I decided to try putting a thin coat of clear nail polish on the stem and it has worked well for me for years.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 18, 2004 Flag

If wearing "cheap" holiday earrings irritates your pierced ears, put a dab of antibiotic ointment on your ear, front and back, before inserting earrings. By Linda

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 8, 2015 Flag

My daughter has always had trouble with metal wires for her earrings. One day while we were in the local craft store, we found replacement French "wires" made out of plastic.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 9, 2014 Flag

I have sensitive ears and need to wear sensitive solutions earrings, but even when I wear those my ears are red, itching, and peeling. I thought sensitive solution earrings were suppose to help, not make the matter worse. What can I do?

By Alexis T. from Aurora, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Even earrings for sensitive ears may not be enough. Have you been tested for metal allergies, if not, perhaps you should consider it, even earrings for sensitive ears have metal. Or perhaps it is the backing piece if there is one, that you are sensitive to. You might only be able to wear hoops that hook into themselves or other similar styles.

Best Answer

You might try clear nail polish coating the posts and parts that touch ears. This has been my solution for similar problem. Good luck!

Best Answer

I have the same problem an finally I have found the answer ...they are called

"nickle free" earrings. some times they are hard to fine but look at Bealls, Kochs,

the dress barn. you will have to ask for them but they should say nickle free on the little card that the earrings come on hope this helps

jodi

November 20, 2012 Flag

How do I keep my ears from breaking out?

By Brianna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use to have the same problem. For years I wore only real gold and silver jewelry, always envied the women with the wonderful costume jewelry. I found a trick if you put Neosporin on the back of the earring post as well as on your ear lobe, you won't have any problems. No more redness, itchy ear lobes, pain. It feels great to wear all the wonderful fashion pieces.

If you have a pair of studs that don't hurt your ears, and the cheap earrings you want to wear are dangley, usually there is a small loop/hole that attaches that dangley part of the earring to the cheap hook or stud piece that goes through your ear. Take of the cheap hook and feed the stud that doesn't hurt your ear. Voila! Interchangeable earrings that will never hurt again!

Health & Beauty AdviceJuly 10, 2012
Dealing With Sensitive Skin
Dealing With Sensitive Skin
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
jewelry box with drawers overflowing with jewelry
Wearing Costume Jewelry
A woman with sensitive teeth.
Remedies for Sensitive Teeth
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 19, 2017 at 1:10:07 AM on 10.0.2.172 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.