What Breed is My Dog?

Is my Chihuahua (Roxy) actually a mix or a Min Pin/Chi mix? I get comments that she is a mix, but I bought her from a Chihuahua breeder in Kansas, MO.

I love her dearly, but I am told she is not a full breed Chihuahua. She is larger, about 9-10 lbs? and she has long legs? The vet says she is a full breed, just a large Chihuahua.
What do you think? Your comments are welcome!

By Jean from Billerica, MA

You know there are different heads on chis. She is gorgeous. Might be an applehead chi. Purebred probably but not important. She is family.

If you paid an arm and a leg for a "purebred" you should have akc papers. People are out to make money breeding dogs, when there are millions who are homeless. If you got ripped off money wise I understand, but, if not and maybe pupper isn't purebred, you and you're dog are better off. Mixed breeds have what's called "hybred vigor" meaning they are going to be healthier in the long run. So does it matter? As long as you bond and are best buds. That's what is important. Don't you think? P.S. My last dog of 14 years was a large welsh corgi-tri color. My side kick and best bud. He was a gift, and if I could ever get another corgi, I would want the same large size, compared to smaller. He was so awesome. Then again, maybe you just want to know.

She is a beautiful girl and she looks like a purebred Chi to me. I have had Chihuahuas for over 40 years, they are

great little dogs. Some do grow larger than others, not all fit the "standard" but there is just more of them to love! I hope that you and Roxy have many long and happy years together.

I am staring at my pet chihuahua right now and yours looks exactly like mine, except yours has darker hair.

Your baby is a chihuahua. Looks like my little girl. The only difference is that my Coco has stubby legs.