What Breed is My Dog?

I know she is Shepherd, but not sure what else. She is 5 months old, tall, and her ears don't stand up.

By Nancy B

Her ears may eventually stand up. She's still a baby, yet. Hmmm, maybe a wee bit of Rottie?

dru

She could have some Husky, fyi, Shepherd's ears don't total stand till they are about 8 month old.

Hmm. Fly-away ears and a gorgeous short coat and face. You might not be able to see her parentage from looking at her. It's well covered up. Each dog has a dna stamp that is "tell-tail". The shepherd in her makes her exceptionally smart. This is a given. She should go through an obedience class with ease.

Sometimes it takes time to figure out the mix by her personality, expression of her specific traits, natural instincts, how she reacts in situations and overall demeanor. Specific pure breeds exhibit very distinct traits. Water dogs, sight hounds, protection dogs, sporting dogs all have distinct personalities and traits that were bred and solidified through breeding programs. These traits usually come out over time. You might have a better idea once the girl has grown up a bit more.

At a mere 5 months old you have a pup that's like a 2 year old inquisitive child in your home. It must be so much fun. Eat, play, sleep and potty.

*****************************

I live in a rural area on 28 acres near Tehachapi, CA. Over time I've taken in and have 17 adult dogs that were dumped in our canyon, including 9 chow mixes, all related, that I took in about 3 years ago when someone died. They are my joy in life and were like surprise packages where their essence unfolded over time. The pic is of Shialoa (L) and Diablo (R), both male and best friends. I'm pretty sure Diablo belonged to a person of color. After a year, he finally let me touch his muzzle when we go for our evening walk. However, when a young lady of color came over, he went right to her. Hmm.