Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning a Gas Oven

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Cleaning a Gas Oven

Cleaning an oven, while necessary, is probably one of the least exciting household cleaning jobs. This is a guide about cleaning a gas oven.

Here are questions related to Cleaning a Gas Oven.

Question: Cleaning Gas Ovens

Do you have to blow out the pilot lights before you clean your gas oven?

By Melissa

Most Recent Answer

By Kaleb J.03/18/2014

Yes, if you do not turn off the pilot light the gas will continue to flow into the oven. I recommend turning off the gas supply at the connection to the stove, which is located near the rear of the stove top.
To shut off the pilot light for the oven, you can shut the valve for the gas line by raising the top surface of the stove. There should be a valve near the far left or right side of the stove. This will shut off all of the pilot lights including the stove burners. When you finish cleaning the oven, or stove top, turn the valve on and relight ALL of the pilot lights (usually 2 for the stove top and 1 for the oven).

Question: Cleaning a Gas Oven

Can I clean a gas stove with ordinary oven cleaner? If not, what can I use?

Janet from Georgetown, Ontario

Best Answers

By Cindy06/15/2007

Here's what I do: My oven was perfectly clean when I got it (came with our house) so I aim to just keep up with it. If I bake something and it goes over, as soon as I take it out of the oven, I turn the oven off and spray on the oven cleaner while the oven is still hot and then shut the door. When the oven has cooled, I scrub off the residue and it is good as new. Most oven cleaners will specify if they are for gas ovens or electric ovens or both. Good Luck!

Best Answers

By Harlean from Arkansas06/14/2007

I stopped using oven cleaner in my gas oven years ago because it seems like you can never get all the residue cleaned out. I use primarily just baking soda and water made into a paste. For stubborn spots, use a Scotch Brite pad. If that doesn't do the trick, set a small dish of ammonia in the oven overnight, and then proceed with the baking soda. I also use just baking soda on the top of my stove and the burner grates. It works better than any of the heavy duty cleaners. There again, for brown spots from cooked on food or boilovers, use the baking soda with a Scotch Brite. Always rinse well with clear water and polish it up with a dry paper towel.
The secret to a clean oven is to always put pies, cakes, casseroles, etc. on a cookie sheet or a pizza pan to catch any spills. And in case of accidental spills, clean as soon as possible. I am thinking of my accident at Christmas when I accidentally lost control of my pumpkin pie and dumped it into the oven because the pan I was using to set it on, bent under the weight of the pie. Not a pretty sight. My husband had to take the bottom out of the oven so that I could clean it. But I got it clean enough so there was no terrible burnt odor when I replaced the pie into the clean oven.
Harlean from Arkansas

Question: How Can I Clean My Dirty Gas Oven?

We just recently purchased a house. My problem is the oven. It is a gas range, but I don't think the previous owner cleaned the oven at all. I guess the stuff is baked and caked on. I've tried oven cleaner, S.O.S. pads, and a few other things. Does anyone have any solution as how to clean this oven. It is a pure mess.

Thanks.
Gina

Best Answers

By calmbrez12/17/2000

You can use Purple from the automotive place and a grill screen that can be bought at a chemical or paper products place. Keep screen wet. Make sure to rinse thouroughly.

Best Answers

By glorialam3312/13/2000

I have just finished the same messy project in our newly purchased home. I used fume free oven cleaner twice then I removed the grease with a glass scraper {the kind that uses a razor blade} just be careful not to scratch the enamel. The oven was like new when I finished. Good luck.

Best Answers

12/11/2000

First warm your oven to about 200 D. Then be sure to turn oven off. Pour about 1/2 to 1 cup ammonia in a glass baking dish. Set this solution in your oven. Close the oven door and leave over night. This should loosen the grim enough for you to be able to wash it out the next day. You can take the ammonia in the dish and dilute it 4 or 5 parts water to 1 part ammonium to wash oven with. Rinse well. This will also work on bar b que grates - just put them in a plastic trash bag and pour in some ammonia tie off and let sit overnight. Good luck.

Solutions: Cleaning a Gas Oven

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!