Keeping Frost off Windshield

I am looking for tips to keep the morning frost off my windshield.

Rendezvous from Brainerd, MI

Best Answer

I'm thinking of keeping a spray bottle of windshield wiper fluid in the van this year. Just spray the windshield and wipers to melt the frost. Then I won't have to worry that the wipers are frozen to the window when I first turn them on. Maybe I'll get 2 and keep one on the front porch too. Bottles and labels (don't forget to label the bottle) at the $1 store.

Best Answer

Cardboard works well too. Put a piece on your windshield and hold in place on windshield at night.

Best Answer

It's as easy as putting a piece of cardboard over the window at night - I just use two pieces I cut out of an old box. Cheap, no chemicals, you can use it over and over, and no one will steal it.

Best Answer

Spray 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water. Spray on will keep ice from forming.

Plastic garbage bags will also do the trick.

Tape 2 together and fasten them tightly in place by closing a front door over each end.

a little fun story on this subject:

We had a foreign exchange student that was from Japan and had never seen snow or ice on a windshield. He walked in the house and came out with some hot water, tossed it on the windshild! We all thought it would crack, lucky for us it didn't. It was cold enough that it froze quick and just had a solid sheet of ice on the windshild--not recommended.

:)

my van's windshield freezes, frosts from the 'inside' surface - after sitting still outside during the cold winter days. i still need to scrape, wipe clean the thin layer of frost build-up inside which takes sometime even with the de-fogger working. what a waste of time and effort, i just cannot crank-up and go. it could be due to a leak in the windshield perhaps or whatever but it's a real p.i.t.a. every winter.

help! i need somebody's help, is there anybody? help me, help me ooh ooh.

Editor's Note: Ah, I remember the days with the van with frost on the inside. I would buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol (isopropol). It's cheap and you can put some on a cloth and it will melt the ice quickly. You can also put it in a spray bottle and spray it on. Just make sure not to get any in your eyes and give it a minute for the fumes to leave the inside of the car.

What I do is place a ceramic heater on the floor board and it keeps the ice off

ramcharger4 AT webtv.net

I discovered Prestone Windshield Frost and Ice Remover at Walmart this past winter, and it is amazing stuff. It comes in a spray bottle and costs about $4.00 a bottle. Living in PA, we get a lot of frost also (I lived in MI many years ago!) and when you park your car for the night, spray this on the windshield (I do side front windown also), come out in the morning, start your car, turn on the wipers....and frost and ice is gone! Good stuff!

I don't know if this will work on windshields or not but you can spray foam shaving cream on the bathroom mirrors and wipe off thoroughly and they will not fog up when you take a shower.

We bought 2 Neetsheets at Walmart. We put one across the front window and close the car doors on the sides of it and one on the back window the same way. When we need the car we just remove them, shake them hard once or twice and put the dry neetsheets in the trunk for later. They're thin enough that no rain enters the car. We've been doing it for three years now and my neighbors have started following my example. It works like a charm for snow or frost.

Just one word of caution. The glass MUST BE DRY when you start or you'll have this thing stuck to your windshield until it thaws.

Have fun and drive safely! - Deb

Simple at my house.

Get the husband and sons to clean the garage after deer hunting season is my biggy in keeping the windows clear!

That usually takes place the week or two before the first snowy/icy time here in MN.

Seriously, rag rugs across each side. I also have a ROUND ice scraper, which does CIRCLES around the other shapes!

Grandma again.

October 26, 2006 Flag

I have a tip that I use now that it is getting cold. When I get into my car, it has frost on the windshield, sometimes thick. I don't have time to let it sit and wait to warm up to defrost before heading out in the early morning hours.

This is what I do: after I get home from work in the evening if I know I'm not going back out I slip one of the back floor mats on my windshield, you can put one on the back too if you want (if it will stay), put the fabric side against the windshield. The front one I put right under the wiper so the wiper will hold it when the frost comes. When the mat is taken off there is a clear view right there at the right spot for me to see. Hope this tip helps some of you too.

Helpful Reader

Answers:

Keeping Windshield Clear of Frost

If you live where you have a lot of snow and ice, this will help keep your windshield clear.

I use a piece of plastic tarp just larger than the windshield and cover it each night. I just set a wiper on top of it, and close the front doors on it. It stays and place and works great. (02/15/2005)

By lighthouselady

Keeping Frost off Windshield

Be careful using the tarps and shutting the front doors on it. We did this and when it rained it ran into the car from the tarp and our floor was soaked. We just place a bricks on the top of the car cover the wipers to keep them clean before using them to hold the tarp down also.
Tonya (02/15/2005)

By Dgrams

Consumer Advice Cars Winter DrivingOctober 16, 2006
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
🎄