Easter Basket Ideas

Category Easter
Instead of buying a traditional Easter basket, get creative. This is a guide about Easter basket ideas.

I wanted to create a healthier version of the Easter basket and came up with cutting out fruit with cookie cutter shapes and adding them on a skewer into a basket. This is great for young children, kids who don't need more sugar and even an older person. Anyone who wants to live healthier lives really!

Total Time: Just cut up your fruit and put together materials-15 max!

• one whole pineapple
  • banana
  • apple
  • orange
  • any firm or favorite fruit really
  • optional chocolate bar

1. Slice pineapple and apples then use a cookie cutter or knife to cut into shapes.
  2. Peel oranges, cut banana into discs.
  3. Ad
  4. OPTIONAL: Melt one candy bar in a microwave (30 seconds at a time until liquid) Dip some of your fruit halfway into the melted chocolate and stick a skewer into them (like a lollypop)
  5. Add an apple to the bottom of the basket and stick the other end of the skewer into the apple.
  6. Add plastic eggs, flowers or other little toys to the basket and present to someone you love! I always like to include a new toothbrush too! ;)

Thanks for sharing this great idea. I was just brainstorming ideas on how I could make Easter healthier for my 2 year old.

This is a small plastic bowl, with ribbon and crochet accents. It holds little candy Easter eggs. I used tape to hold the ribbon, but you can use hot glue if you like.

• 1 small plastic dessert bowl
  • 1 crochet chain of red yarn or just use ribbon as a handle
  • roll pink ribbon with ruffles
  • regular Scotch tape
  • 2 packages small packs of M&M candy eggs

1. Tape ribbon or crochet chain on bowl as handle.
  2. Begin wrapping ribbon around bowl and tape or glue in place.
  3. Continue taping ribbon around bowl.
  4. Ad
  5. Tie ribbon around the two candy packages and tie a bow.
  6. Put candy into basket.
  7. Here is what the candy looks like when served in the bowl.
  8. Enjoy your mini Easter Basket after using it for candy ;)

Here are some good thrifty Easter basket ideas that are healthy and fun. Post your own ideas here!

Usable Containers Instead Of Baskets

Instead of using regular baskets, we like to use things the kids can play with later. For younger children, we have used plastic pail and shovel sets, grocery carts, wagons, etc. For the older kids, we have used hats, bandanas tied to sticks to make "hobo" baskets, purses, teapots found at yard sales or flea markets for a daughter who collects them, the possibilities are endless.

The contents vary from year to year, but they always include bubbles (yes, even the grown-ups get them and probably have more fun than the kids do lol), toothbrushes and toothpaste and some type of religious symbol so that they remember why we are celebrating. The dollar stores have several to choose from, including guardian angel pins, crosses, statues, bookmarks, bibles, nightlights, magnets, etc. We will round this out with freebies that I have gotten mostly from the net and have been saving up.

When we lived near the beach, we got a wading pool and filled it up with floaties and beach toys and had each childs "basket" wrapped in a beach towel. This year, since we own our first home, we are going with a gardening theme, we found seeds 10 for $1 at the dollar store, straw hats $1 each, and little trowel and spade sets also $1 each. Use your imagination, the possibilities are endless. Hope this helps.

Non-Candy Ideas For Baskets

Here are a few things I am planning on putting in Easter baskets, or have included in the past: We only include a piece or two of candy, maybe a small bag of Easter M&M's, but do include healthy snacks, like granola, nuts, sunflower seeds, etc.

Last year, I made gardening baskets for each child, packaged in containers for growing their seeds; another year, I used yard sale backpacks (in unused condition!) and filled with inexpensive camping-type items, like a flashlight, bug jar (from the dollar store), inexpensive field guides, notebook, magnifying glass, bandanna, etc., and included a note explaining that we would be going on a camping vacation. You could do the same thing with beach gear, and include a coupon good for a day at the beach; sunscreen, visor, sunglasses, beach pail with shovel, notebook with pen, roll of quarters for the boardwalk games, etc., or even get a cheap suitcase from the thrift store and fill with small travel items for a planned vacation later in the summer.

I LOVE themed gifts, partly because they are so much fun to put together, they can be done relatively inexpensively but look like they cost more, and the kids really seem to get a kick out of them!

By one_ramp

Start Shopping Early

It wouldn't be Easter without some of the typical Easter candy so our kids get some jelly beans, chocolate, eggs and such; but then I put some toys and perhaps even a new summer shorts outfit or bathing suit. I start shopping for the Easter baskets right after Christmas, when everything is on sale!

By Debbie52

Little Cook Basket

My children always want to help me cook, so I found a bright colorful apron (child sized) and wrote their name on the front and my kids loved them!

By Julie

Make Baskets For Year After Year

I had made a basket for a niece one year and someone at work saw it. Now I get orders every year. I make baskets that can be used year after year. I do not like to put a lot of candy so I go for things like bubbles, crayons, coloring books, play dough, jacks, jump ropes, action figures, things for the girls' hair, etc. Maybe a stuffed bunny or a chick, I try to get an idea of the child's age, favorite colors, etc.

By Missy

Carrot Candy Idea

A quick and easy Easter basket idea. Take the Wilton icing bags and fill them with orange candy or any candy, twist tie the top and glue green raffia strips to the top. An instant giant carrot!

Color Coordinate Baskets

I have four girls so I bought everyone the same thing but different colors. I went to a local store and got them little things for their hair, body glitter, playdoh, playdoh cutters. In target, they have a $1 section as well that has stickers, notebooks, pencils and pens. I might add a little stuffed animal and some candy.

By Vaden

Get Toys On Ebay

I've found Beanie Babies that are really cheap on ebay that are great for a cute Easter Basket.

By Kendra

Continuing Easter Traditions

When I was younger, my mom always made Easter baskets for my brother and I. They were usually filled with the things mentioned above. Last year was the first year I didn't get a basket and I was pretty bummed. So this year, my boyfriend and I are exchanging baskets and I am making baskets for my goddaughters. I have found some amazingly cute picture frames, fake tatoos and stickers at the dollar store, and some fun bouncy balls, handheld games, and plastic cups at Wal*Mart.

My mom always bought that fizzly grape juice stuff from Welches that looks like champagne but isn't and a special cup each year to drink it in, so I plan on continuing that tradition. I got adorable rainbow cups for the little girls. For my boyfriend, I got a mug that goes in the freezer and gets extra cold so you don't need to put ice in it ever. I also made home made cards with Easter stickers so they can tell their baskets apart.

By Melissa

Fill Easter baskets With Needed Things

I have 4 children and have always made my own baskets for them with things they need. For my 3 older boys, I have used a backpack instead of a basket and filled it with sports things (shin pads, baseballs, baseball gloves, hats, socks, soccer balls, footballs, water bottles, even cleats!) Hey, it is baseball and soccer season and football is right around the corner. You will have to scramble and buy the things anyhow, the kids love it more. And you aren't just running out before the first practice to get cleats that are unappreciated, etc.

I do a similar idea for my two year old. Last year, I used a dump truck and filled it with little things. Also summer is coming, Summer camp is pricey. Last year, I registered them for Patriot "Matt Light" camp and put a computer certificate in their basket. Face it, you pay for it all anyhow so gather up as much as you can and wrap it up. :)

By Kathy

Use Same Basket Every Year

We use the same basket every year, I like to wrap them with netting and place a big bow on them. Items I have included have been movies, CD's, socks, makeup, doll clothes, barbies, backyard toys, books, videos, computer games and cell phone accesories. I always include a chocolate bunny as that was a family tradition for me. The big one for this year is scrapbook supplies. Arts and craft items, picture frames, throw away cameras and tiny photo albums. Oh this is so fun! Happy Easter!

By Grbll

Hide Baskets For Easter Hunt In Morning

My mom always hides our baskets. In the morning, we always have to hunt for them around the house. She tells us if we are hot or cold if it takes too long to find them.

By Kelsie

Paper Mache Eggs

I am planning on making paper mache eggs and then using decoupage on them. I will be making them for young and old alike. I may even fill a few with treats. I reuse wicker baskets that I have collected over the course of the year, most I get back for refills. Use shredded tissue paper or comics for grass. I add little things like buttons (the kind that say something) and jewelry (like beaded chains or earrings that I make).

If the children are young, small toys can go in the baskets; like jacks, jumpropes, marbles and balls. My favorite thing in my baskets when I was a child was a stuffed bunny. I kept one of them until I was in my late 20's, lost Mr Bunny in a move, he was ratty but deeply loved. Have fun!

By kcohenvt

Paper Mache Eggs Project

Ingredients: Optional: Directions:

Paste: Use 3 parts water to one part flour. Stir until smooth and creamy.

Dip each piece of paper in the paste. Apply the paper, on layer at a time.

Let dry thoroughly. Paint if you want to and seal.

To make eggs or ornaments, get a plastic egg and apply paper mache to each side of the egg, leaving the lip where the two sides connect clean. Don't apply the paper mache or paste to this part so you can connect the two sides together.

Finish both sides with paint and sealer. Once that is dry you can put the two sides together.

The possibilities are endless. You can also ball up newspaper in the shape of an egg and paper mache the ball, use a styrofoam egg or a balloon that is egg shaped.

One year for my older daugthers I bought a sewing basket and filled it with sewing items and candy. For my son I got a tool box and did the same thing.

finished mailable basket made from two boxes

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 4

To mail an Easter basket to my daughter in their apartment, without making her look like a little girl anymore, I created a cute, transportable basket that can be used afterward.

An Easter basket made from a milk jug.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Gallon milk jugs can easily be cut down to make inexpensive Easter baskets. Decorate them to make each one unique. This is a guide about recycled milk jug Easter basket.

Filled Easter basket.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 3

Our two older grandchildren are too old for Easter baskets, but they have a little three year old brother just getting into the fun so this year I made this basket for him to find and then to share which he loves to do with his sister and brother.

When making Easter baskets, keep in mind such things as colorful pencils, fancy erasers, sugar free candies, cute little stuffed animals, flavored lip balm or gloss, crayons, colored pencils, modeling clay or Play-dough (or make your own).

Here's an Easter tip. When my children were babies, instead of Easter baskets, we picked out a cute summer hat and used it as a basket instead. We put little things in it a baby could use, like a small bottle of juice, a teething toy, a small book, etc.

Get a shoe box, take a ice pick or screwdriver and put holes on all sides of the box. Stick tissue into each hole and you have a beautiful basket for decoration.

Older children that have outgrown your typical Easter basket still love getting a basket, so I put new summer outfits, passes to a movie, gift certificates or cards to fast food places, and favorite candy bars, cookies or even gum.

Little kids like little things-so use your samples and hotel size toiletries that you don't want as Easter basket fillers. Just make sure the kids are old enough to know what they are.

Any suggestions as to what to use instead of the traditional basket at Easter time for a boy? In the past I have used a dump truck, baseball helmet, small tackle box, childsize wheel barrow, small wagon, and of course the sand pail with shovel. I need some ideas appropriate for 6 and 8 year old boys.

By Helen from SC

Here are a few to consider;

Cowboy hats, baseball caps, carpenter's tool box, mechanics toolbox, beach bag.

My children each got an Easter basket for their first Easter. My 34 yr old daughter, my 32 year old daughter and my 30 yr old son still bring me THEIR baskets to be filled for Easter! We never did toys, though, just candy and eggs.

Do they have or need a suitcase or backpack? My kids loved this.

Any ideas for men's Easter baskets? I have done food, so I looking for something new I can purchase or make. We do an adult basket exchange and it can change hands 3 times before it is kept. With that said we have all size men from small to XXL. That makes it more difficult.

I have cuff links I am making for Christmas prizes, so I don't need that and that is the top gift I seem to find on the internet for gifts for men. I can't do sports as each person likes a different team, some golf and some don't. I need something generic. Please Help.

By Di from MT

First thing I thought of was a Tide stain stick.

Then a gift certificate to a car store or hardware store (Lowes/Home Depot).

You could also get a set of nail clippers for on a key chain.

How about a Walmart money card.

A gas card for a local gas station that seems pretty popular.

A deodorant stick (brute/ old spice).

A deck of cards.

Movie passes.

A pocket knife.

A small keychain flashlight or just a small light that can be kept in a car.

A McDonald's card.

I am just thinking of things that more than half the men in my church would enjoy.

A popcorn kit could be fun to put together, different types, assorted seasoning salts, an inexpensive bowl, and perhaps a vintage western or action flick that you can get for $5.

Thanks for all the ideas. If anyone has more I would love to hear them.

I plan Movie night

Twizzlers Favorite Red Licorice

M&M'S Milk Chocolate

Snowcaps Theatre Size

Jaw Breakers

A new DVD

Moviehouse Popcorn tall bag

Microwave Popcorn

Pop

Please add to it if you think of anything else.

JLson: Our children are all grown up and I thought who doesn't like an Easter Basket so we started it. Now into the 7th year. It took a while for them to catch on, but there is no price limit just an Easter basket. Well I go all out......and they have gotten better at the baskets items.

Then my fil said let the boys have an Easter egg hunt. Now seriously they are all grown up, I thought I will get even. I will do an Egg hunt alright, I will do one egg per person and they all have to hunt for only their egg. We also said that you could move someone's elses egg if you found it. The first year we lost an egg, and wasn't until spring when we were remodeling an garden area that we found it and it was a real one. Lol This now will be our 3rd year of doing this.

I'm making a small gift basket for my husband for Easter and am running low on ideas. We don't have the $ for me to go out and buy the video game he really wants, but I'd really like to get him some small inexpensive things. He's so hard to buy for.

His family is Hawaiian so that's a theme I could work with. He's 26 and a bit of a geek (loves video games and books, not sports or being outdoors as much). He also loves DVDs and cooking. Any ideas would be more than helpful. Thanks.

By Katrina from Baltimore, MD

Hit your local pawn shops. I can't tell you how many times I've bought games that are only a few weeks old for much much less than retail. I'd also recommend hitting Blockbuster when they have buy one get one free sales or 1/2 price used games. I'd also consider buying games that you know will trade in for much higher than what you paid for them at the bigger gaming stores. Video Game flipping is one of the easiest things in the world to do to get trade credit for games at one of the big game stores.

Get him a cute apron. You can iron on a picture on something from Hawaii. Also get him some recipes (online)from his home town, good luck.

Hit a used bookstore too--you can pick up lots of titles (especially cookbooks) quite cheaply. If you're set on new books and your husband is an adventurous reader, try doverpublications.com. They have paperback editions of classic books, many for a dollar! The geeks in my life have enjoyed Oscar Wilde, O'Henry, and Saki's work. Dover also has cookbooks though they are typically priced a bit higher.

You could also rent or check out from your local library a movie that you think he'd enjoy and put it in the basket with a note stating that the movie has to be returned, but that he can hang on to you. :)

And I think it's really cool that you're making an Easter basket for your guy. I don't know a lot of women who do that.

If you have DollarTree stores in your area, go and get kitchen tools, towels, pot holders etc, that you do not have, recipe/cookbooks, and DVD"s of old movies or tv shows. $10 will fill a nice basket and you can buy the basket there too.

My son is 10 yrs old. He loves WWE wrestling more than anything. I need creative ideas on how to make him a wrestling Easter basket. Last year he didn't have a good Easter at all. I have a disabled daughter and I'm a single mother. I promised them I would make it up this year. It's really important because we have no other family. What I get is all they get. Please help me.

By Angela

Well, there are all kinds of wrestling figurines, and they come with a wrestling ring sometimes. Also, maybe you could find some of his favorite wrestlers, then get some info on the wrestler. Hope this helps!

Maybe use a wrestling ring as the basket. Put WWE action figures in the ring along with themed candy. Wrap with cellophane.

I am looking for duck bills/beaks. They are used for making baskets for Easter. I have searched the web and have not found any.

Sarah

Hi! I sell these in my craft shop! contact me off list @

beadlady @ preferred.com. (remove spaces) I have 2 sizes.

Thanks!

Cindy

I bet you could make them easily out of fun foam!