Make Your Own Air Fresheners - Categories:

Air FreshenersCleaning Supply Recipes

Make Your Own Air Fresheners

How do I keep the house smelling fresh without store bought air freshener?

By Anastasia from Berkeley, CA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Personally, I don't think "air fresheners" help make a house smell "fresh". If your house is clean, you take out the garbage often, open the windows frequently, and cook and bake things that have nice smells, like apple pie and cinnamon buns and roast chicken, I prefer that smell. I use exhaust fans in the bathroom. Spider plants also help to clean the air. Just my opinion.

You can mix 8-10 drops of your choice of essential oil, such as lavender, orange, etc. in a spray bottle filled with water, shaker well before each use, and spritz as needed.

August 5, 2010 Flag

I had bought a type of room freshener and found I can make them for much less than the $10.00 that I paid! I went to garden shop and bought 'SoilMoist', which are granules which retain moisture when planting.

I used empty candle jars which had tight fitting covers. Put a couple of tablespoons of SoilMoist in jar (you can always add more) and add water. The granules swell about 4 times their size. Add several drops of essential oil, stir with something you don't mind its absorbing the scent, and cover with the jar cover for several hours. Open and enjoy the fragrance spreading through out the room.

I use lavender for my bedroom to relax me. When the granules dry out, add water and essential oil, cover, then enjoy! This can be done frequently as needed.

By Joandogs

Answers:

Make Your Own Air Fresheners

The length of time the fragrance lasts will depend upon how much you use, and the size of the container it is in. I started with about a teaspoon of fragrance. Sometimes I added more, other times [because fragrance was stronger] I didn't have to add any more. (05/19/2009)

By JoanDogs

RE: Make Your Own Air Fresheners

Make Your Own Air Fresheners

I think this is a nice idea, and I might be overly concerned, but what does concern me is that "Soil Moist" is made of acrylic polymer and meant for use with "water" with this product and to be placed under the soil near plant roots. I can't help but wonder about potential dangers of mixing with essential oils and breathing it in might be :-( Acrylic polymer is used for industrial applications such as paint which, because mixed with other chemical compounds, is considered a hazardous material. (05/19/2009)

By Deeli

May 18, 2009 Flag

Does anyone know how to make homemade air fresheners with things you have around the house?
Thanks.

Jan from Atlanta, GA

Answers:

Make Your Own Air Fresheners

I put one part Downy and one part water in a spray bottle and I love the smell plus it cuts static on the carpet and I spray it on fabrics, I keep this mixture also in a margarine bowl on top of the dryer and keep a rag in it and every time I dry I squeeze out the rag and then throw it in with the clothes to be dried. I also use shampoo as a detergent instead or regular laundry detergent. it is kinder to the skin. (03/14/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Make Your Own Air Fresheners

When the weather is warm and you can open the windows, tie fabric softener sheets to your mini blind cord. The breeze blows across the sheet and freshens the room. I also use softener sheets tied to the pull cords in my closets. If you don't have mini blinds or pull cords just lay them in the window sill with something heavy holding them down so they don't blow away and in the closet just place them on the shelf with the clothes.

I also put a sheet in my air conditioner filter. (05/17/2009)

By SusLuvsVintage

February 17, 2009 Flag

Gel Air Freshener

Bring 1 cup of water almost to a boil. Stir in gelatin, stir until dissolved. Remove from heat, mix in food coloring, 10 drops of oil, and the other cup of water. Mix well. Pour into jars and let set.

I used some old candle jars that have lids, that way I can put the lid on if wanted. The ones I made where cinnamon and spice. I put fresh cranberries, whole cloves and a stick of cinnamon in them for decoration. I had to pour in about half of the gelatin, put the things in it then lidded them. I put them in the refrigerator for a while to set quicker. After they set I pushed some of the things around the set gelatin, then poured the rest of the Gelatin on top. They look really cool!

By Kathy

Aromatic Room Fresheners

I make aromatic room fresheners for Christmas presents. These are very easy and can be personalized by using different scents. Here is one I use as a good smelling antiseptic spray to use around the house. I spray it on doorknobs and light switches to kill germs.

To a 2 oz bottle with a spritzer top add 1 tablespoon of alcohol (I use vodka)

Add 10 drops of eucalyptus oil, 10 drops of lavender oil, 5 drops of rosemary oil, and 5 drops of tea tree oil. Fill the rest of the bottle with water. Shake and spray.

FromThe Antibiotic Alternative by Cindy L.A. Jones, PhD

By Liz

Aromatic Room Fresheners

I love to put an air freshener in almost every room in my house but have found that it becomes costly. I experimented one day and came up with this:

I buy cheap (dollar store) small clay pots and I dip them in lemon juice or cheap dollar oils. Wait until it dries a bit, put a little moss in it and place it in the room. The scent stays for a very long time and has a lovely scent. My rooms are always fresh with the scent and have received many compliments from people as they can't figure out where it is coming from.

Very inexpensive but effective.

By Carolyn from E Northport NY

Answers:

Making The House Smell Good

To make my house smell good in a hurry and to save money I simply add a few drops of vanilla extract to a small pan full of water. I also add whole cloves and cinnamon and let simmer on lowest heat for an hour on the stove.

By Tammy R. (11/20/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Make Your Own Air Fresheners

I make my own air freshener with vanilla essence, rose oil and water, and the smell lasts. The vanilla essence helps for a smoke smell, try it, it works. (07/19/2007)

By Franci

Make Your Own Air Fresheners

I put laundry soap in an empty glad air freshener plug in. Waiting to see what happens. (08/02/2007)

By Rachel

Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Air FreshenersAugust 5, 2010
Renuzit Air Freshener Crafts
Renuzit Air Freshener Crafts
Getting Rid of the Smell from a Plugin Air Freshener
flip flop air freshener
Making Car Air Fresheners
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 6:53:20 PM on 10.0.2.107 in 993 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.