ToysRepair

Repairing a Toy Carousel

Category Toys

I brought a Coney Island merry go round 4 years ago. The girls were too young to have it. Now at 5 years old, it's been packed away in the box, the carousel won't turn. The lights and music work, but the table won't turn. Is there anyone who can fix it? I payed $150. for it. It's a beautiful item.

By Lorraine from Washington, DC

There is probably a speck of rust or dust interfering with the movement gears. The best thing to do with an item this costly is to take it to a jeweler for repairs, music boxes have such tiny parts that the specialised tiny jewelers tools (and repair skills) are what are needed to do the work.

If it were mine I wouldn't even try using a canned air spray to try to clean the insides because of the delicacy-too great a chance of dislodging a tiny vital piece, and possibly losing it altogether.

Check first to see if it has a stop somewhere. Then you may need to take it apart and see if all the solder is alright. I would recommend you take it to someone who knows how to repair soldered items. I have one too and I love it but it can be very hard to care for. I keep plastic over mine when not in use. Good luck.

Anonymous

Go to a clock repair; the kind that works on those wonderful pendulum and coo coo type clocks. I am positive they could repair it. I had a cousin who built and repaired those kind of clocks and he could fix anything that has those intricate mechanisms including music boxes and the carousel movements you're talking about works on the same basics.

I would not even consider trying to repair it yourself because you might cause more harm.