Making a Recycled Rocking Horse Carousel Decoration

Category Decor
This is a page about making a recycled rocking horse carousel decoration. When you keep your mind open to what others see as trash, you may be able to recycle and create a special decoration.

I found a broken child's rocking horse discarded on the curb for trash pick up. This is how I gave new life to an old horse.

Approximate Time: 1 week, on and off

Instructions:

This horse came from the older style rocking horse set with springs that the child rocks back and forth on. I didn't know how I was going to transform it into a carousal horse, I just knew I wanted to try it.

1. I removed all the hardware until the horse stood on it's own.
  2. I then sanded the entire horse until I had it down to it's original plastic color, which in this case, was white. I had never done this before so the entire project was "learn as I go".
  3. Advertisement

4. With a light grade of sandpaper, I rubbed all the scratches and dings until they virtually disappeared. This type of horse is attached to a frame so it already had holes on each side of the head (where the handles were) and a large hole in the stomach area (where it is attached to the frame). It was also equipped with metal stirrups and I saved these to reinsert. They were dull from wear so I just painted them silver to shine again. I covered the holes on the sides of the head with two metal disks that were the perfect size (They are the western type you use making raw hide beaded keychains).
  5. I primed the entire horse and then painted it. I was very pleased with the results and gave it two coatings of varnish.
  6. I took a wood closet pole I already had and screwed a finial to one end. I then painted the whole thing gold.
  7. Advertisement

8. I drilled a hole in the center on top of the horse to insert the pole. I had flat metal brackets in my garage "what-nots" collection and used them to attach pole to bottom of horse. I just bent one end up and screwed it into the pole. The other end of the bracket, I screwed into the inside of the horse, using small bolts and nuts. It was sturdy and firm.
  9. I wanted to place the horse on my screened-in back porch and decided to use a cedar planter I had hanging around in my garage. It was heavy and sturdy and worked well. I drilled a hole in the bottom, halfway down, inserted the pole and screwed it to the planter.
  10. I change the flowers in the planter to go with the seasons and holidays.

Keep your mind open to items others discard. It's true that one man's junk is another's treasure!

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

Crafts Recycled Crafts DecorFebruary 1, 2017
😷
🐛
🌻
😎
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-a-Recycled-Rocking-Horse-Carousel-Decoration.html