StainsCleaning

Ink, Sharpie and Dry Erase Stains

I need some help with a ink/sharpie/dry-erase stain. My husband is in the Navy and I take care of his uniforms. He has managed to get an ink stain, a sharpie stain, and a dry erase stain on his uniforms. Does anyone know how I can remove them quickly?

thanx, chompers_41

Answers

I need some help with a ink/Sharpie/dry-erase stain. My husband is in the Navy and I take care of his uniforms. He has managed to get an ink stain, a sharpie stain, and a dry erase stain on his uniforms. Does anyone know how I can remove them quickly?

Thanks.

chompers_41

Answers:

Ink, Sharpie and Dry Erase Stains

I know that toothpaste scrubbed in will get rid of regular ink stains, it might do for the dry erase marks too. We used turpentine to get Sharpie ink off of our walls without wrecking the paint. Maybe you could try it on a hidden piece of the uniform to see if the material can take it first. Good luck, my husband is a carpenter and I have to get rid of all kinds of stains too! (11/10/2004)

By Lee-Ann

Ink, Sharpie and Dry Erase Stains

I'm not sure about Sharpie pens, but I know that hairspray works wonders to remove ink stains. In my experience, the cheaper the hairspray, the more effective its power is! (Think: Aquanet!)

Good luck! (11/12/2004)

Ink, Sharpie and Dry Erase Stains

My 4 year old son decided to take a sharpie and write on all his Playstation game CDs. I used rubbing alcohol and the marker lifted right off. (01/18/2005)

By Erin

Ink, Sharpie and Dry Erase Stains

The hairspray idea is OK, but the rubbing alcohol is the best. The ink comes off in one swipe. (01/27/2005)

By Rachel

Ink, Sharpie and Dry Erase Stains

Try Clorox Stain Out. My husband works as a server in a busy restaurant and I have found that this stuff is my "miracle" solution. I have removed everything from raspberry syrup to ink. (05/11/2005)

By Michelle from TN

Ink, Sharpie and Dry Erase Stains

We didn't have rubbing alcohol. We just used some Bacardi 151, and it worked pretty well with a little old fashioned elbow grease. (08/14/2005)

By Whitney

Ink, Sharpie and Dry Erase Stains

"GooFoFF" will cut any stain. (11/18/2005)

By Martin

Ink, Sharpie and Dry Erase Stains

In the lab we use acetone, common nail polish remover. Acetone is a great solvent, that dissolves many compounds. (08/12/2006)

By Matt

Ink, Sharpie and Dry Erase Stains

Try Amodex Ink and Stain Remover. I heard about it from the marker company Sanford and swear by it. Amodex is
a liquid, cream soap (really mild) and takes out all inks including Sharpie. Just don't put anything else on the stain first or you might set it. Don't use alcohol! (08/22/2006)

By Anne

Ink, Sharpie and Dry Erase Stains

Be careful with alcohol because it dissolves paint also, so for example if you got Sharpie on your wall, it'll get the Sharpie off, with the paint. (03/28/2007)

By Name

Ink, Sharpie and Dry Erase Stains

At work, we use methanol alcohol. It is the alcohol that the race cars use. (04/07/2007)

Ink, Sharpie and Dry Erase Stains

Our son wrote all over our white appliances with Sharpie and nothing took it out quite like nail polish remover. (08/14/2007)

By P

Ink, Sharpie and Dry Erase Stains

I don't know if anybody here needed/wanted to know how to get Sharpie marker off of a whiteboard, but I know how to do it in seconds! Here is what you do: take an Expo marker and trace over the Sharpie marks. Then, use a whiteboard eraser to erase it all! Yay! :) (01/09/2008)

By Emma

Ink, Sharpie and Dry Erase Stains

The rubbing alcohol worked wonders when I used it to get rid of the dry erase stains from my walls! Thanks for the tips! ;) (08/13/2008)

By Tiffany

Ink, Sharpie and Dry Erase Stains

I tried the rubbing alcohol and the polish remover and the polish remover worked best on clothing. (11/23/2008)

By mom in NC

Ink, Sharpie and Dry Erase Stains

(Submitted via email)

It's methanol; no capital letters. Since this alcohol is endemic in laboratories, there is no reason to capitalize as if it's a proper noun. Spelling counts, as well!

Try using cyclohexane or toluene, or maybe a 50/50 (v/v) phenol/chloroform mixture. That will dissolve most anything.

Anonymous (07/19/2009)

By Sally_Admin