Removing a Dried Blood Stain on a Bed Quilt

I have had a blood stain on my bed quilt for a quite a while now. It's dried, but I'm sure there's still a way to get it out. Does anyone know any cheap and easy ways to get it out? And yes, unfortunately, my bed quilt is white. I hope somebody can still help me though!

By Buddy

Best Answer

I use a product called LA's Awesome cleaner. You can get it at Dollar General or even the Dollar Tree. It's very inexpensive & it works! I have got blood, gatorade, pet urine stains, grease, red clay & more out of my clothes & bedding. I have even used it in my carpet cleaner. Try it you'll be amazed at the cleaning power it has.

Best Answer

Use regular peroxide out of your bathroom cabinet. People tell you to use it, but not "how" to use it. Hope this helps. First and most important! Do NOT put item in washer or dryer. (Test for color safe first with peroxide.) For your white quilt. Fold a white towel until it is 8 or more layers thick. Put under stain. Soak stain with regular peroxide. Do not POUR on spot(s). Just dab on till it's wet. Wait and count to 20. Do not rub stain or it may get bigger. Dab and PUSH into the underneath towel. Keep spot wet. Keep pushing spot with clean damp rag. Move clean towel under spot as the blood soaks into it. Keep on till it is almost gone. Then you can put a couple of drops of liquid soap on it and let it work. You can wash the whole thing (in washer) or just wash the spot with clean clear water. (Using towel underneath as before.) Press on dry towel to get moisture out and let dry. Laying or hanging. I saved lots of things from the ragbag using this method.

Best Answer

I have used ammonia, sudsing ammonia works best, for dried blood stains. It is usually sold for cleaning floors. I put it in a spray bottle for this use. Wet the stain. Spray the stain heavily with the ammonia. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. You may have to repeat a couple of times, then wash as usual.

I've heard/read that hydrogen peroxide works well for this. I remember specifically a nurse commented that she & her co-workers used hydrogen peroxide to remove blood. And it probably wouldn't hurt to leave it in the sun to help the whitening process. Best of luck, I hope you get that stain out!

Personally, I would try Shout or Resolve to get the stain out. You can try this http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf48467791.tip.html but I don't know how successful it will be.

Soak that area in cold water, and use peroxide, scrubbing the fabric to work it through, then rinse in a sink under flowing cold water. It may take several attempts. Be sure to wash it in cold water, and check out the stain before putting it in the dryer.

Another vote for hydrogen peroxide (the 3% solution, not the higher volume hair color solution). Be sure to test in an inconspicuous spot first for color fastness! I use hydrogen peroxide for all sorts of fabric stains!

I've used spit for small stains and soaked in salt water. But hydrogen peroxide is great too.

A bottle of hydrogen peroxide, great to use to remove blood stains.
Removing Blood Stains from Clothing and Fabric
Home and Garden Cleaning Linens and BlanketsAugust 18, 2010
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Wedding Dress
Removing a Blood Stain on a Wedding Dress
🎉
🎄