Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Hamburger Helper

I am looking for recipes for homemade Hamburger Helper.

By Kate from Colwich, KS

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Bob [7]03/02/2011

I saved this article from - http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/homemade-hamburger-helper/

By Dot03/01/2011

This isn't quite hamburger helper, but it's pulled us out of the low-food-budget slump more than once. For our family of 5, I'd start with 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of ground chuck. Brown and cook it until it's no longer pink, then add onions and continue to cook and stir.

In the meantime, cook 1 pound of elbow macaroni until it's the way you like it (my family wants it softer than al dente) and drain it well.

Add 1 (15oz) can of stewed tomatoes to the ground beef and onions, and stir. Add 1 (15 oz) can of mixed vegetables, cover and cook for 6-8 minutes.

Mix 2 Tbsp. flour to 1 cup water, and get all the lumps out. Add it to the hamburger mixture and stir until mixture is thickened. Add 1 can of cream of mushroom or chicken soup and stir it in good. Add the pasta to the mixture, and heat it all together.

It goes really fast, and is as good as anything I've ever eaten. I control the salt, add no MSG or other chemical, and it was more than enough to feed even my teenage boys. Since I always kept store-brand creamed soups and pastas on hand, as well as other canned goods, it was just as easy to make as that stuff in a box that is no-telling how old or what it has in it.

If I want it to taste a little like one of the Mexican or Southwestern flavors, I substitute a can or two of kidney beans for the mixed vegetables, and add seasonings like chili powder and cumin. You can always add a bit of grated cheese or sour cream to change the flavor.

No matter what I did with it, it was always eaten. It was filling and wholesome and gave them more energy than they needed many times.

Hope this helps you.

HokeyPoke

By Tapestry Lady [2]02/28/2011

Mine is pretty similar to ones already posted, though I don't use a mix. I just brown the ground beef and onion, drain, then add water, pasta and bullion. The ratio is about 2 cups water to 1 cup dry pasta. I mix cornstarch into a half-cup of milk to thicken the sauce. Then I just season however I want.

I normally use about half a pound of ground beef for my husband and myself. That's plenty for us and it works out cheaper. I also use quick cooking pasta to cut down on cooking time. Small-size frozen vegetables added makes it a complete meal. A bit of tomato paste adds color and gives it a little zing too! I keep a tube of tomato paste in the fridge so I can just use a little whenever I want.

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]02/28/2011

Recipe is a jar mix which you can make at the holiday season.

"Almost Hamburger Helper" Mix in a Jar

2 C. nonfat dry milk
1 C. corn starch
1/4 C. beef bouillon powder
2 T. onion flakes
1 t. dried basil
1 t. dried thyme
1 t. black pepper
2 T. dried parsley
1 T. garlic powder

Mix the ingredients together and store in an airtight jar.

Attach the following recipes to the jar:

Chili Mac:
1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
1 C. water
1/2 C. macaroni noodles (uncooked)
2 cans chopped tomatoes
1 T. chili powder
1/2 C. mix

Combine all and simmer 20 minutes or until macaroni is cooked.

Stroganoff:
1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
2 C. water
1/2 C. mix
2 C. uncooked egg noodles
1/2 C. sour cream

Combine all except sour cream. Simmer 20 minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir in sour cream and serve.

Potato Beef Casserole:
1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
3/4 C. water
6 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 C. frozen mixed veggies
1/2 C. mix

Combine all and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover and cook until excess water is evaporated.

Quick Lasagna:
1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
1/2 C. mix
1 onion, chopped
2 C. water
16 oz. tomato sauce
3 C. lasagna noodles, uncooked, broken in bits
1/4 C. parmesan cheese
2 C. mozzarella cheese, shredded

Combine all except mozzarella in large skillet. Bring to a boil, let simmer for 15 minutes or until noodles are cooked. Top with mozzarella. Turn off heat and let cheese melt.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Homemade Hamburger Helper

The following recipes are effective hamburger helper substitutes.

Seasoning (Makes enough for a few batches):

Mix together the following.

• 1 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
  • 2 Tablespoons dried parsley
  • 1/2 cup instant onion
  • 1 Tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 2/3 cups fat-free dry milk powder
  • 3 1/2 Tablespoons beef bouillon granules

Store in a jar with tight between uses.

Cheeseburger Casserole

• 1 pound hamburger
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 cup uncooked macaroni
  • 1 can chopped tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup seasoning mix
  • 2 cups of grated cheese

Directions:

First brown the hamburger and drain off the fat. Add 1 1/2 cups water, 1 cup uncooked macaroni, 1 can chopped tomatoes and 1/2 cup seasoning mix. Simmer covered 20 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Remove from heat and add 2 cups of grated cheese.

Chili Tomato Macaroni

• 1 pound hamburger
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 cup uncooked macaroni
  • 1 can chopped tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup seasoning mix
  • 1 Tablespoon chili powder

Directions:

First brown the hamburger and drain off the fat. Add 1 1/2 cups water, 1 cup uncooked macaroni, 1 can chopped tomatoes, 1 tablespoon chili powder and 1/2 cup seasoning mix. Simmer covered 20 minutes or until macaroni is tender.

Potato Casserole

• 1 pound hamburger
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 cup uncooked macaroni
  • 1 can chopped tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon seasoning mix
  • 5 or 6 medium sized potatoes, thinly sliced

Directions:

First brown the hamburger and drain off the fat. Add 1 cup water, 5 or 6 peeled sliced thinly potatoes, 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon seasoning mix. Simmer covered for 20 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir. Uncover and cook until excess water is evaporated.

Adapted from a recipe at:
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/columncc/cc010724.html

Archive: Homemade Hamburger Helper

I know there is a really simple recipe for making your own hamburger helper. Does anyone have it handy? - TT

Archive: Homemade Hamburger Helper

How do I make homemade Hamburger Helper?

By Sharon from Lexington, SC

RE: Homemade Hamburger Helper

I found some great recipes at chickensintheroad.com. Click on the Cooking tab at the top of the page and scroll down to "See All My Recipes". You will find a basic recipe along with about a dozen variations of Hamburger Helper. (05/17/2010)

By Kcfields

RE: Homemade Hamburger Helper

I do it all the time. Brown your ground beef and drain as usual, then stir in several cups of water and several beef bouillon cubes, and about a 1/2 cup of milk. Stir in dry egg noodles or other pasta, and simmer until water is absorbed and pasta is tender. You may need to add more water as it simmers (I never measure). You can also add a squirt of soy sauce, Worcestershire, ketchup, sour cream, cheese, tomato sauce, Italian seasonings, etc. to your tastes. Almost anything is possible. (05/18/2010)

By mbilar1

Archive: Homemade Hamburger Helper

I am trying to stretch my food budget and am looking for a recipe for "homemade Hamburger Helper".