Homemade Hamburger Helper

I am looking for recipes for homemade Hamburger Helper.

By Kate from Colwich, KS

Best Answer

Recipe is a jar mix which you can make at the holiday season.

"Almost Hamburger Helper" Mix in a Jar

2 C. nonfat dry milk

1 C. corn starch

1/4 C. beef bouillon powder

2 T. onion flakes

1 t. dried basil

1 t. dried thyme

1 t. black pepper

2 T. dried parsley

1 T. garlic powder

Mix the ingredients together and store in an airtight jar.

Attach the following recipes to the jar:

Chili Mac:

1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained

1 C. water

1/2 C. macaroni noodles (uncooked)

2 cans chopped tomatoes

1 T. chili powder

1/2 C. mix

Combine all and simmer 20 minutes or until macaroni is cooked.

Stroganoff:

1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained

2 C. water

1/2 C. mix

2 C. uncooked egg noodles

1/2 C. sour cream

Combine all except sour cream. Simmer 20 minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir in sour cream and serve.

Potato Beef Casserole:

1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained

3/4 C. water

6 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced

1 C. frozen mixed veggies

1/2 C. mix

Combine all and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover and cook until excess water is evaporated.

Quick Lasagna:

1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained

1/2 C. mix

1 onion, chopped

2 C. water

16 oz. tomato sauce

3 C. lasagna noodles, uncooked, broken in bits

1/4 C. parmesan cheese

2 C. mozzarella cheese, shredded

Combine all except mozzarella in large skillet. Bring to a boil, let simmer for 15 minutes or until noodles are cooked. Top with mozzarella. Turn off heat and let cheese melt.

Mine is pretty similar to ones already posted, though I don't use a mix. I just brown the ground beef and onion, drain, then add water, pasta and bullion. The ratio is about 2 cups water to 1 cup dry pasta. I mix cornstarch into a half-cup of milk to thicken the sauce. Then I just season however I want.

I normally use about half a pound of ground beef for my husband and myself. That's plenty for us and it works out cheaper. I also use quick cooking pasta to cut down on cooking time. Small-size frozen vegetables added makes it a complete meal. A bit of tomato paste adds color and gives it a little zing too! I keep a tube of tomato paste in the fridge so I can just use a little whenever I want.

This isn't quite hamburger helper, but it's pulled us out of the low-food-budget slump more than once. For our family of 5, I'd start with 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of ground chuck. Brown and cook it until it's no longer pink, then add onions and continue to cook and stir.

In the meantime, cook 1 pound of elbow macaroni until it's the way you like it (my family wants it softer than al dente) and drain it well.

Add 1 (15oz) can of stewed tomatoes to the ground beef and onions, and stir. Add 1 (15 oz) can of mixed vegetables, cover and cook for 6-8 minutes.

Mix 2 Tbsp. flour to 1 cup water, and get all the lumps out. Add it to the hamburger mixture and stir until mixture is thickened. Add 1 can of cream of mushroom or chicken soup and stir it in good. Add the pasta to the mixture, and heat it all together.

It goes really fast, and is as good as anything I've ever eaten. I control the salt, add no MSG or other chemical, and it was more than enough to feed even my teenage boys. Since I always kept store-brand creamed soups and pastas on hand, as well as other canned goods, it was just as easy to make as that stuff in a box that is no-telling how old or what it has in it.

If I want it to taste a little like one of the Mexican or Southwestern flavors, I substitute a can or two of kidney beans for the mixed vegetables, and add seasonings like chili powder and cumin. You can always add a bit of grated cheese or sour cream to change the flavor.

No matter what I did with it, it was always eaten. It was filling and wholesome and gave them more energy than they needed many times.

Hope this helps you.

HokeyPoke

I saved this article from - http://chickens  amburger-helper/