Cat Problem: Old Cat Urinating Everywhere

My cats have been urinating in different parts of the house, no way to predict where. They have a litter box but are getting up there in age and may be confused. Any suggestions on how to stop this?

If you have more than one cat they will not use the same litter box. I have had the same problem and had to get several litter boxes per vets instructions.

- Gloria

In answer the cat urination problem: Don't remove the urine with a cleaner that has ammonia in it. This will only encourage them to use the same spot again. Also as cats get older they get fussier so make sure the litter trays are filled regularly, and buy some more to put in other spots in the

house if they are starting to become disoriented.

Hope this helps

- Emma :)

Hi,

Have had many cats, those elders who have now passed on also had problems with forgetting where the box was. I used vinegar to try and mask the problem,.. worked in areas not heavily soiled w/ urine. Also put a litter box on each floor, easier to them to find. I think they get tired easily.

A blacklight will show you where they have peed, and there are commercial solutions available through Foster and Smith.

DrsFosterSmith.com 1 800 826 7206

Their staff very helpful with many cat/dog problems.

Good luck, it is hard seeing a dear old friend get old.

Claudia

Please take kittys to the doctor for a check up, Could be the start of a uninary tract infection due to age.

- Rose

How old are your cats? I had that problem when my cat got older and the solution was a larger litter box. I used an under the bed plastic drawer with a cut out so he could walk in. He was 14 years old and very arthritic and could not climb over the side of the box. Also a tip to get rid of urine smell out of the places the cat went before, I used "No Scent". I get it at Walmart and it is used by hunters to take the human scent out of their hunting clothes so the deer cannot smell them. It works great on the cat urine scent that may linger. I put it in a small bottle with water and spray it on everything. It works better than Fabreeze and is much cheaper. Hope this helps.

- Vicki

Find the spots being used with a black light and place orange wedges on top of them. Cats have a very heightened sense of smell and the highly acidic nature of the orange is too overpowering for them. Try it out and you'll see what I mean. So if your cat comes suddenly running from that direction it's only because he took a curious whiff.

I have two cats and recently the tennent below us got a dog. I don't know which cat it is, but one of them has urinated on my bed twice. This is the only place. I had this problem with the cats before in my old appartment and the only old thing I brought from there was the bed. I need to fix this problem as I love my cats and do not want to get rid of them. Please help

We recently used a plastic tub to hold bags of cat litter before a dump trip. Things have changed and we no longer need the tub for that purpose and I'd like to use it for storage. However, I can't get the smell out of the plastic. I've tried baking soda, a quick bleach rinse and now it's lightly covered with vinegar. Any at-home suggestions would be helpful.

My cat sits and eats oranges with me......

To order over the Internet or by telephone,

X-O ODOR NEUTRALIZER

CALIFORNIA VETERINARY SUPPLY

www.calvetsupply.com

1800-366-3047

The best thing I have found for any urine is X.O. if you're not sure where they're going just do a light mist about knee high all the way around the room. Use concentrate in the litter box to clean it, and then set out in the sun, this works for me

My cat is 13 yrs female. She just starting urinating

on our bed. We have 2yr old german shepard, that she has never gotten along with. We can not figure out why she urinating on our bed. Also how can I get ride of the smell? I have tried everything.

Please help

My cat of 15 years has just started (last 2 weeks) peeing everywhere but her box....I was considering have her put to sleep thinking this is what happens with old age and a cat.

However, after reading Roses post I have decided to get her to a vet ASAP and get checked out for a UTI.

THX for the help

-Shirley

I too have a 13-year old cat who's been peein on a walls like a male cat would do...only she's female. She was born feral. Just this last summer, in July, I had to put down my other 14 year old whom she had been around her whole life. Oreo started peeing on the walls when Coco started dying. We bought some things that you plug into the outlets that give off ferimones that are supposed to keep her from peeing, but it hasn't helped. I also got a new cat, who is now 8 months old now shortly after I had to put Coco down. Is the new kitten the issue? Or could it also be a UTI? She's scared of everyone, including my family. She's okay with me, but only if I don't pick her up. What should I do? My dad is threatening to make me put her down.

I have had my 6 yr old cat checked for UTI and bladder infection and both were negative. She pees in the litter box but also on carpets, clothing left on floor etc. And she does this right in front of me. I read about FIC (feline idiopathic cystitis) which sounds almost like depression or stress in cats. With this, there can be blood in the urine and come and go without anyone really knowing how to treat or prevent other than overpriced feliway spray and spending more time entertaining your pet. I am at a loss now, after switching food, forcing anti-inflammatory pills down her throat and mounting vet bills...still no answer. She was always in indoor cat but now I have put her outside during the day and locking her in a lg dog kennel for the nights. This is not ideal for anyone as she constantly wants in the house but obviously doesn't want to be in the kennel. I am going to try giving her pure apple cider vinegar. Either diluted in her drinking water or soft food or diluting it with water and dipping her paws in it. Also going to try spraying all possible areas she might pee with lemon water. If this doesn't work, I really don't know what to do anymore...

A white cat sitting on a couch.
Preventing a Cat from Peeing Everywhere
Pets HealthSeptember 15, 2002
Two men Dressed as Storm Troopers
Making a Clone Trooper Costume
Zombie Boy Climbing Stairs
Making a Plants vs. Zombies Costume
Little Girl Dressed in Fairy Costume
Making a Fairy Costume
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
🎉
🎄