Breed Information: Great Pyrenees

Breed Description: The Great Pyrenees is a large dog with a solid, muscular body, a thick, water-resistant coat to withstand the elements and a kindly expression. Originally developed to guard sheep in the Pyrenees Mountains, this breed is strong and agile with an independent nature. Intelligent and loyal, the Great Pyrenees makes a good watch dog.

Group: Working group

Purpose of Breed: Guarding sheep

Country of Origin: France.

Average Size: Dogs range from 27 inches to 32 inches and weigh 100 to 125 pounds. Bitches range from 25 inches to 29 inches and weigh between 90 to 115 pounds.

Color(s): Typically white or white with gray or tan markings.

Coat Type: The Great Pyrenees has a double coat with a long, thick and coarse outer coat and a dense undercoat.

Grooming: The thick coat of this breed requires brushing daily-more so during the shedding season. They should also be bathed several times per year. Standard care for is required for eyes, ears, pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: Not particularly suited to living indoors, this large breed is best suited for a country setting where it can get the necessary daily exercise it needs to maintain its mental and physical health. In urban settings, a fenced yard is an absolute must.

Temperament: The Great Pyrenees is gentle, obedient and loyal to its owners. Watchful and alert, its heritage as a guardian of sheep makes it naturally wary of strangers. This breed can be stubborn, independent and territorial. The owner of a Great Pyrenees should be calm, assertive, and patient. This breed was not bred to take commands, but to make decisions on its own, and can be difficult to train. Pyrenees do not enjoy being confined and may turn destructive without lots of attention and exercise daily.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to hip dysplasia, skin conditions and epilepsy.

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-12 years.

Trivia: The remains of this ancient breed have been found in fossil deposits dating back to the Bronze Age (1800-1000BC).

More Information: Great Pyrenees Club of America, Inc.

Very sweet looking dog. He looks like your his for life! Faithful Friend

I have 4 Great Pyr and they are by far the best dogs I have ever owned. They are loyal beyond any definition of loyalty I have ever read. They manage my farm and guard our herd of goats but also protect my home. They allow no stranger to come upon the premises of our property without alerting and are able to alert as soon as something comes within a quarter of a mile of the property. We have not lost one animal to a predator. When my husband is out of town, my male Great Pyr sleeps in the house and does not allow anything to come close to the door without alerting...not even the cat. Unbelievable animals. I will never be without one for the rest of my life. They are my security blanket.

Great Pyrenees
Great Pyrenees Breed Information and Photos
Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Great PyreneesJune 14, 2006
Exotic Shorthair Kitten
Exotic Shorthair - Breed Information and Photos
West Highland White Terrier being held by a young girl.
West Highland White Terrier Breed Information and Photos
Poodle Breed Information and Photos
Poodle Breed Information and Photos
Cat
Identifying the Breed of Your Cat
🎄