Scuff Marks on Walls

Any ideas on how to remove scuff marks (from furniture not shoes) off a painted wall? I tried the Mr Clean Magic Eraser, it worked a little, but took paint off the wall.

By Scuffmarked for Life? from Orange County, CA

Best Answer

Do not use Magic Eraser on matte walls; it is just too strong. It will strip the paint and leave you with dark marks that don't match your paint. I have not figured out a better solution than a mild cleaner and two buckets: fill 1 bucket with your cleaner and water and fill the 2nd with just clear water for rinsing. Grab 2 of those cellouse sponges and don't forget your elbow grease-you'll need it! I also find its good to go from bottom to top to catch all the drips- if not you 'll have streaky walls.

Best Answer

Try using toothpaste and a sponge. It did wonder. All you have to do is apply the toothpaste on the mark and scrub!

Worked like a charm for me for both scuff marks and furniture paint marks.

Best Answer

Hello,

Please try a pencil eraser.

Yes, the pencil eraser worked on a scuff that has irked me ever since our repaint a year ago..Thank-you.

Best Answer

When every other solution did not work, on my white wood doors, jams, and moldings, I used a very small amount of Bar Keepers Friend (Bon ami cleanser is also very gentle) on a damp cloth and rinsed well. It worked for me!

In my apartment that I am renting, there are black skid/scuff marks on the walls from previous tenants. I want to remove these marks.

I know it's not dirt because it won't come off with just plain water. How did the scuff marks get there in the first place? I would guess that when people were moving in and out, something must have 'scratched' against it to make it black? Or did someone throw a shoe and leave a mark like that?

What do you suggest for me to remove these hideous black marks off my wall?

Thanks.

Any feedback is appreciated :)

-Matthew

I had to share the best kept secret about getting scuff marks off the walls. It's simple, easy and works like magic. Get yourself a tube of "white" toothpaste, preferably one with baking soda and peroxide, Arm and Hammer. Use a wash cloth and they disappear in minutes. Of course this may only work on white walls.good luck.

I came across this looking for help with scuffs and I found; Magic Eraser doesn't work, toothpaste doesn't work, toothpaste + baking soda doesn't work. I probably would've tried Dirtex first but didn't have any on hand. Good old-fashioned TSP works just fine. Didn't strip the paint & left the wall beautifully clean.

May 27, 2010 Flag

I am trying to clean various marks off the wall (like scuff marks from shoes). They are on Interior walls that are painted white.

Marvin from Lewiston, ME

Answers:

Scuff Marks on Walls

The wall in my daughter's room had crayon, scuff marks, and dirt. I used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and it all came off. I used plenty of water and some soap with it. I love that sponge!
(09/19/2006)

By Jennifer1975

Mr. Clean -- not on satin finish paint

The Magic Eraser works great on semi-gloss and gloss paints, but left marks on my satin (matte) painted walls. All the scuff marks came off, but I was left with odd, little shiny spots that are darker than the surrounding paint. (06/01/2007)

By Jennifer

Scuff Marks on Walls

Do not use Magic Eraser on matte walls; it is just too strong. It will strip the paint and leave you with dark marks that don't match your paint. I have not figured out a better solution than a mild cleaner and two buckets: fill 1 bucket with your cleaner and water and fill the 2nd with just clear water for rinsing. Grab 2 of those cellulose sponges and don't forget your elbow grease, you'll need it! I also find it's good to go from bottom to top to catch all the drips. If not you 'll have streaky walls. (03/06/2008)

By SingleMomof5-yes, that's right-5

Scuff Marks on Walls

I had to share the best kept secret about getting scuff marks off the walls. It's simple, easy and works like magic. Get yourself a tube of "white" toothpaste, preferably one with baking soda and peroxide, Arm and Hammer. Use a wash cloth and they disappear in minutes. Of course this may only work on white walls. (07/27/2008)

By Tammy

Scuff Marks on Walls

I just used your suggestion of using toothpaste and I was so surprised that the marks are now completely gone. Thank you so much, you have saved me lots of money! (01/10/2009)

By Nicola

September 18, 2006 Flag

I had a sofa delivered and the movers left a long scuff mark on one of my walls in the hallway. I tried using some cleaners but it looks as though it removed some of the paint. Is there anything I can use to make these marks less visible that wouldn't require me painting that surface?

Onyia

Answers:

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Just follow the directions on the box. (07/13/2005)

By Karen

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

I have found that the Mr.Clean Magic Eraser works pretty good as does Clorox Cleanup but, if neither one of those work you might have to consider repainting if your Landlord will allow it. Make sure to use a good primer if you paint so whatever the marks are don't bleed thru your new paint. (07/13/2005)

By Deb in Ky

Woolite

Recently I read a hint about using Woolite and water to clean light-colored walls. I've been using a store-brand equivalent and use about half & half ratio - just a small amount mixed at a time. It cleans smudges quickly and took off flyspecks from the blades of a ceiling fan. I don't know about black scuff marks but it won't harm the walls to try it. (10/01/2005)

By Beth

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

I saw that someone already posted about the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. They are fantastic. To be honest, they are the ONLY thing that I will buy at full price. (10/02/2005)

By Tracey

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Mr. Clean eraser works every time! (10/02/2005)

By Mary

White Walls
Removing Scuff Marks on Walls
Home and Garden Cleaning WallsMay 27, 2010
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
beautiful wood floors
Removing Scuff Marks from Hardwood Floors
A pregnant woman rubbing cream in her belly to prevent stretch marks.
Preventing Stretch Marks
Scuffed Leather Shoes
Removing Scuff Mark on Leather Shoes
🎉
🎄