Removing Scuff Mark on Leather Shoes

Category Repairing
When your leather footwear gets scratched you need to find a way to cover or remove the marks. This guide is about removing scuff marks on leather shoes.

When I was a small child, I remember my mother raiding my crayon box to color in nicks and scuff marks on her brightly colored high heels. Well, these days it may be colored leather tennis shoes, a leather vest or fancy cowboy boots, but the idea still works. (Especially if you have a box of 64 colors!)

First heat the area with a blow dryer, that way the color of the crayon actually melts into the leather. Finish by buffing with a soft cloth or soft paper towel.

By Cyinda from Seattle

Here is a great way to cover up those scuff marks on a pair of shoes that you still love! Cover the scuffs with a "Sharpie" or any permanent marker in a shade that matches. This will make your shoes look like new again - and is much cheaper than buying another pair (especially if they still have a lot of wear left).

By Carol from Landisville, PA

Editor's Note: If you have leather shoes that are brown or black, keep some shoe polish on hand for those colors. It works well on scuff marks. The tip above can be really helpful for shoes that are a color other than black or brown, or for shoes that are not made of leather.

Cleaning white shoes can be quick and easy when you know what products to use. Learn how to remove scuff marks on white leather shoes in this guide.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How do you remove scuff marks on orange shoes and yellow high heels?

By Lillian

Answers

IF they are NOT a cloth or suede you could try a pencil eraser and if that doesn't work try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser (or the generic equivalent). Rub very lightly with the damp eraser though, because it can remove the color as well.

Nail polish remover on a cotton ball.

Try Dawn dish detergent. It got off ink marks on my leather purse.

How do you get scuff marks off leather boots?

Janelle from Oxford, Alabama

Answers

I just get the paste shoe polish at target. It's in the shoe section

I've had success using an ink eraser (not a pencil eraser) for small scuffs on my leather shoes. Use a light touch, don't rub too hard.

Hi,

You could use the leather re-colouirng balm to restore the colour and hide the scuff marks. This product is available here - http://www.furn … louring_Balm.htm

I got this scuff mark on my black leather Jordan's. I'm wondering if I should use Mr. Clean or nail polish remover on it? Please help.

By MvT from St. Paul, MN

Answers

I would try black shoe polish. Just a dab and a buff. You know, the waxy kind in the little round can.

You could try using an indelible pen, like a Sharpie.

What is the best way to clean black scuff marks off red shoes? Shoe polish isn't working.

Ellen from Tucson, AZ

Answers

Removing the scuffs depends on what the shoes are made from! I was always getting black scuffs on my white nursing shoes and the only thing that worked was scrubbing with a soft scrub product. A few weeks ago I was searching the Web for ways to prevent scuffs and I found a product called SKUFF. I ordered the gloss finish and it was easy to apply to my shoes after cleaning with the enclosed towelettes. It's been two weeks now and the couple of tiny scuffs that showed on the shoes were easy to just wipe off with a wet rag. The shoes are still a beautiful white!

Ellen from Tucson, AZ

Answers:

Clean Scuff Marks on Shoes

Remove scuff marks from back of heels with hair spray; wipe with soft rag while still damp/wet.

Rosalyn (07/13/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Clean Scuff Marks on Shoes

You can erase black scuff marks off linoleum by rubbing the spot with the heel of the same shoe, so maybe it will work on your red shoe also! (01/06/2006)

By suzi_homemaker01

Clean Scuff Marks on Shoes

Mr. Clean erasers available at Target and Dollar store for a lot less$. (01/09/2006)

By cookwie

Clean Scuff Marks on Shoes

Acetone (a large component in most nail polish removers) is pretty much a household miracle solvent, and among many other uses, works great on scuff marks on shoes. (05/02/2006)

By Angela

Clean Scuff Marks on Shoes

After trying everything I could think of, I went on line to see if possibly someone could help. At first I tried the "hairspray", but it did not work for me. Then I tried the "nail polish remover", it worked like a charm!! In five seconds all scuff marks were off of the aqua shoes and they looked like new. Thanks. (06/27/2006)

By Geneva

Clean Scuff Marks on Shoes

I tried the nail polish on some lime green man made leather boots. You have to use it lightly and it works like a charm. Be blessed! (01/05/2007)

By Albsmilin

Clean Scuff Marks on Shoes

Scuff marks on red patent leather shoes:

use good old Australian eucalyptus oil and rub gently.
It can take a while, however it works for me :) (04/19/2007)

By maybe i can help

Clean Scuff Marks on Shoes

Solution for a scuff mark on a red shoe = simple pencil eraser.
Trust me it works. It was my friend's shoe and I was desperate. Just 5 min of deep erasing. (01/05/2008)

By Nicole

Clean Scuff Marks on Shoes

Don't use nail polish remover on serious scuffs! The continuous rubbing will rub off the shine and leave a huge dull spot. I ruined some very pricey shoes this way. Also most shoe repair shops can get the scuffs off for about $5 and your shoes stay shiny!
(05/28/2008)

By Jennifer

Clean Scuff Marks on Shoes

Nail polish remover works perfectly. But be sure to use a small amount in a circular motion with a Q-tip. If the area becomes dull, retouch that area with a very small amount of WD-40. Works like magic! (07/11/2008)

By Chica1979

Clean Scuff Marks on Shoes

So I tried the eraser thing and it worked! YAY! (12/03/2008)

By Angie

Clean Scuff Marks on Shoes

I bought an adorable pair of any black and white pumps and before I even got a chance to wear them out I got an ugly black scuff mark on the white part. I didn't have any nail polish remover, but I tried a Mr. Clean magic eraser and it got it out. You have to scrub for about five minutes and clean it off with a little water and dry it afterwards, but it got the scuff right out. Thanks for the tip! (12/07/2008)

By M. Michelle