My Frugal Life: Being Frugal and Green

There are a few things that I do to be green and/or frugal.

• I have 6 cats and 1 dog that live in my house, plus I feed the stray/feral cats in my neighborhood. I change their water on a daily basis. My Frugal LifeWhatever water is still in their water tower is used to water my houseplants.

• I save the empty animal food bags and use them when I clean the litter box and the yard. They will be going into the garbage anyway so why not give them double duty.

• When I do laundry, I use the lowest water level possible. Since I live in Phoenix, AZ, I use the clothesline and hang my clothes out to dry. I will use my dryer to fluff my towels but I hang them on the clothesline first until they are dry. That way I only have to run the dryer for 10 minutes instead of 40 or 50 minutes.

• When I have errands to run, I think about where I need to go and what would be the best circuitous route to take. It saves me time, gas and reduces how much pollution my car is emitting.

I hope these tips will be useful for you in your efforts to be more frugal.

By Donna from Phoenix, AZ

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Six cats; that doesn't 't sound too frugal to me. Seems like you're defeating the purpose. But once we grow to love an animals there is no way we can give them up. I say frugal is good in moderation but not to the extent that it doesn't bring happiness. So if those six cats bring you happiness good for you. And like you, I'm frugal in a lot of ways but when it comes to my dog just about anything goes.