American Staffordshire Terrier Keeps Biting People

I got an American Staffordshire Terrier before he was even a month old. Some woman left him in a parking lot at the vet that i go to so i found him and brought him home. I had to bottle feed him and everything. He is like my baby. Now he's 5 years old. I raised him with nothing but love and affection and I have a big family so he was brought up around a lot of people.

He is the best dog I've ever had. He has so much personality and is very friendly. He sleeps in bed with me every night underneath the covers, lays on the couch and watches TV with me. He has never shown any signs of aggression. But when he was around 2 or 3 he bit someone for the first time. Up until now he's bitten probably around 8-9 people. Not big bites, no one was hurt or anything but it still concerns me.

When he bites he doesn't attack. He does not growl or show teeth. You wouldn't even know he was about to bite you. And then he'll just bite, hold on for a couple seconds and let go and walk away like nothing happened. It's very weird. I'm not sure what to do and the thought of him mutilating somebody one day just haunts me. Please help!

By guessgirl002 from New York, NY

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

This is a WONDERFUL training method. 1st off take him to the vet and have him checked out real well (you probably already did this).

Sounds like you have a wonderful dog there but with all the propaganda about them you have to be soooo careful.

Good Luck!

I would go to leerburg.com and look through the free streaming video and the many articles and the website has a search site that you can put in dog that bites or some such term. I have found this site very useful. Blessings, Robyn

It could be that he is just being protective of you, as he sleeps and stays with you all day. Try to record all the past incidents, what happened around the dog at the time of the bite. I am hoping that you can find a solution.

My Cattle dog is the same way, nips heels instead of the lock-on, growling hackles-up neck-swinging bite or the fifty bites per second bite. I keep her away from people. I have a crate made of wire and I stuff her in it, after giving the people waiting at the door the 'just a second' (index finger up) sign. I also have a card in the front window that says 'Dog in Training'. If she barks I squirt, so she's quiet. Very vigilant also while we walk that she's on leash forever, never a single second off-leash, and pulled up short if someone comes near (some come near in a heartbeat like running children or a bicycle from behind or an off-leash dog). Good luck, just be military about controlling your dog and you'll prevent that fat lawsuit.

I train my dogs from the start when they are puppies by telling them "no bite" every time they bite. Puppies tend to bite each other which is fine, but I have found they need to be trained to stop biting people. I have German Shepherds, and it works with them. You have to be consistent. If the dog regresses, and attempts to bite again, I tell her "no bite" and then give her a tiny treat for obeying. It's always worked for me, and I can feel secure that my GSD is not going to bite anyone. Of course, she plays with other big dogs, and they play bite each other, but they seem to know how to do that without hurting each other or drawing blood.

Try this with your dog and keep at it until he stop biting. Don't forget to reward with tiny treats. I go to a dog park every day, and I can tell you from personal experience that pit bulls get in more trouble than any other dogs there. I believe it has a lot to do with lack of proper training. They seem to do better when they are on their own. It's when there are 2 together that they get into the most trouble (pack mentality takes over). Owning a dangerous dog is a serious responsibility, and it can cause the owner untold grief as well as the dog if one isn't prepared to be a responsible owner/trainer. German Shepherds can be dangerous dogs, which is why training is priority one for me. Goog luck with your little pal!

My opinion is to treat dogs as pets. Dogs need a leader, they are pack animals. Don't allow dogs on the same level as you. For instance, don't allow them to sleep with you or have them on the furniture. The floor or a dog bed if just fine for dogs. And they can be trained at any age.

We used to allow our dogs to sleep on the floor next to our bed for many years. Eventually due to my health issues this became a problem. We taught them that they were not allowed in our bedroom. It didn't take that long for them to learn. The only time they were allowed in was when they were invited.

We were always told that our dogs were well behaved and obedient. We could take them anywhere without any problems. They were trained using a lot of praise and love but they must know their place around people.

Is he neutered? We find that deals with a lot of behavior problems. Our dogs are happier, too.

I had a collie/husky mix female years ago who would get a strange look in her eyes and lunge at whoever was near her. She got loose one day and we never saw her again. Read Kathleen W? book "no bad dogs." After this and she wrote that dogs have mental illness too and in some dogs, they are not trustworthy if you see them bite for no reason. Sometimes she had to put the dog down because of this.

dog biting
Training a Dog Not to Bite
Pets Dogs AdviceMay 5, 2009
American Staffordshire Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier Breed Information and Photos
Itching from a bug bite.
Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs
American Girl Doll With White Hat, Braids and Sweater
Saving Money on an American Girl Doll
American Staffordshire Terrier
Staffordshire Bull Terrier - Breed Information and Photos
🎄