Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

We are a family of six. Two of the six are teenage boys. To stretch my food bill, I buy generic Shells and Cheese. When serving it, I use two boxes, but only use one of the cheese packets. Then the next time that I want to serve mac and cheese with dinner, I boil plain macaroni and use my other cheese packet left over from the last time. One cheese packet is more than enough cheese. I personally love home made mac and cheese, but the kids like the cheese in the Shells and Cheese.

By Liz from New Baden, IL

Seems to me that I saw that cheese powder (like the pkt. in the box, but in a larger quantity) for sale somewhere. Can't remember where tho. ;o/

(Sr. moments? Heck! I'm having Sr. weeks!)

Maybe someone out there can help you find that. Then you could do the kind of mac & cheese the kids like, but home made.

I made store brand mac and cheese tonight with dinner. The cheap 30 cents a box and added three hand fulls of shells to the mac and cheese elbow noodles. It turned out really well. Looked funny with the elbow and shell noodles, but it ate the same. :) I only added a touch more milk to the cheese sauce and it mixed together just fine.

June 18, 2007 Flag

When cooking macaroni and cheese out of the box, add a couple handfuls of plain elbow noodles to the boiling water. Follow the directions on the box using dry milk and water as a substitute for regular milk (have a cup made up and ready for such purposes kept in the fridge). The sauce made following the box directions should still be enough, if not add a tiny touch more milk. This always gives me atleast one extra serving!

By Debbie Ryan from Ontario, Canada

More Tips:

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

I was just thinking about that today at lunch time when I was making the mac and cheese. I always add a handful of dry shells to the Velveta shells and cheese to stretch it. (01/06/2006)

By Mominga

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

I do the same with the Hamburger Helper types of mixes. With these, I add a cup of pasta and it works out fine.

By 75043

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

This trick also works with Rice-a-roni. I just add 1/2 cup of regular long-grain white rice, along with an extra cup of water. Tastes just as good! An added bonus: the same great taste with less salt! (01/07/2006)

By Barb

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

I do the same thing with hamburger helper mixes and it works great. Now when I add it to the chilihelper I also add more chili spices and other spices when I make it.

Ziggee (01/07/2006)

By Ziggee

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

Add ground beef (add salt, pepper, garlic powder), a can of drained corn and a can of cheddar cheese soup to your mac and cheese and it's like a homemade hamburger helper. (01/18/2006)

By Krissi

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cheap MealsJune 18, 2007
Chicken Macaroni Salad
Chicken Macaroni Casserole Recipes
Nail Polish
Stretching Nail Polish
Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese