Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dye From Rugs Stained My Linoleum

How to get red dye off of linolem floor. I shampoed the rug under my table and when I was moving out of my house and moved the rug the floor is red from the dye. I have tried every thing I can think of.

Toni from Cheyenne, WY

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By msfavour06/23/2013

Same scenario, we used hair spray. What looked like a bright pink fluorescent stain is now faint pink and barely noticeable. Spray the stain, and let it soak 30-60 minutes, wipe off and spray it again. We did that for a day and it seems to be the most effective thing to reduce the stain. I just wish I knew a way to remove it entirely!

By Stressed (Guest Post)09/17/2008

We had a red paper advertisement on our floor, and our cats knocked over water on it. We woke up to find a large red stain on our floor. I went through this site (after trying oxyclean, bathroom cleaner, and 409) and must say that the nail polish remover with acetone worked really well for me. You can only very lightly see a pink mark, and I'm hoping the more we clean it, the more it will go away. Thanks for the advice!

By (Guest Post)11/07/2007

Yikes... I am in the same boat... just bought a house and put MY rugs down and it is stained NOW. I have tried straight Bleach, even tried varnish cleaner, tried BORAX cleaning pad and baking soda paste. Still left with stains, thankfully covered by the throw rug, which I wish I could throw away with the stains! Any other suggestions? Thought the Crayola Eraser sounded like an option!
Thanks, Josie

By spesialangel (Guest Post)06/14/2006

I did this same thing almost 19 years ago. My floor still has the same dye stains after all these years luckily hid by the rugs I use. It was a bathroom floor. I have tried everything under the sun to no avail. Even soaked straight bleach on it. Even wear has not removed it. Why cant it stay on fabric like that. Needless to say I never dyed another rug. Good luck.

By Allison (Guest Post)06/14/2006

Try scrubbing the floor with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Dye From Rugs Stained My Linoleum

I put a couple of scatter rugs on my kitchen floor, they bled (red dye) into the linoleum. It's a rental apartment. Please me remove the stain! I tried bleach, vinegar, mostly everything already posted (for magic marker) on linoleum. Any other ideas?

Mama J from Chandler, AZ

Answers:
RE: Dye From Rugs Stained My Linoleum 05/01/2006
Try hydrogen peroxide. It often works for me when nothing else will.
By Anna Marie (Guest Post)
Try fingernail polish remover with acetone.
By brenda thompson
RE: Dye From Rugs Stained My Linoleum 05/02/2006
Have you tried Ammonia? Let it sit for a couple minutes.

Good luck,
Ceil

By CEIL
Thanks very much! I did try fingernail polish... to no avail. I'll move on to the ammonia and/or the hydrogen peroxide. I appreciate you taking the time to write!
By Mama J (Guest Post)