Homemade Cat Treats

Does anyone have a recipe for cat treats? I have to give one of my cats a pill every day and the purchased treats for this purpose are expensive.

By roseyoday2 from east Detroit, MI

I use canned tuna; usually 5 cans for $4.00 and a can goes a long way. Make sure the pill soaks up some of the juice, so it tastes and smells like tuna. Usually half a teaspoon at a time is enough.

When I have to give one of my cats a pill, I grind the pill up and put it in canned food. At one time I had to do this so often I actually bought a mortar and pestle, but you can to it with the bottom of a glass. I do have a recipe for cat treats at home, but they weren't that crazy about it. If you still want it, let me know and I will look it up.

I got tired of buying Temptations cat treats at $3 each. I decided to try to trick my cats by saving the empty bags and fill them up with The Goodlife Recipe cat food. Cats love it, but not for a steady diet. Feed them healthier cat food and a treat once or twice per day.

I bought a 16 lbs bag of this stuff for $14, and got a 5 gal bucket with a lid. This stuff will stay fresh for a long time. By doing this, I am spending about 2-3 per month instead of $3 per day or two for a bag of temptations for my 6 cats. Problem solved!

September 18, 2009 Flag

With the recent recalls of cat treats, many people are looking for recipes to make their own. Do you have any recipes to share?

Answers:

Homemade Cat Treats

There is an excellent whole foods recipe book called "Make Your Own Convenience Foods" by Don and Joan German. This recipe is actually both a treat and a base for full meals for both cats and dogs.

In a blender put:

Blend all this in the blender until thoroughly mixed.

In a bowl, put:

After mixing the dry ingredients together, pour into the blended liquid ingredients all at once. Mix together thoroughly, pour into TWO greased layer cake pans and bake in a preheated 400*f oven. When done, about 25 minutes,Cool on a rack as with any other cake.

Directions For Feeding:

For Dogs: For a 20 lb dog, cut one layer into 6 parts, each part is one serving of 200 calories.To make a complete and nutritionally sound meal, crumble and mix with any ONE of the following: To make an all in one food, cook 2-1/4 pounds of ground meat and combine with cake ingredients and bake in FOUR layer cake pans. Just crumble and serve TWICE the quantity of plain Dog and Cat Cake

For Cats: For all in one meal, follow directions above but substitute your cat's favorites, like ground liver, by baking right in cake, you get a semi-dry food the cat can nibble on all day, which is a cat's favored method of eating. Or, start with 1/6th part of a layer of basic cake mixed with 1/2 a can of tuna or 3-4 oz meaty table scraps or other meat.Since amounts eaten vary by cat, you will have to experiment to find the right amount to set out each day. (04/02/2007)

By thriftmeg

RE: Homemade Cat Treats

Cat Biscuits-Chicken Crunchies

A cat sitting by a container that says cat treats on it.
Homemade Cat Treat Recipes
Pets CatsSeptember 18, 2009
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Halloween treats made from bananas and oranges. The oranges look like pumpkins and the bananas look like ghosts.
Healthy Halloween Treats
Cat Receiving Frugal Cat Treat
Frugal Cat Treats
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
🎄