Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

White Purse Has Yellowed

I have a Dooney and Bourke bag with multicolored hearts all over it and it is made out of vinyl I think. It has turned a yellowish color since I got it a couple years ago. Does anyone have this problem and does anyone know how to clean it so it looks white again?

Kim from New York

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By ravenmakayla07/11/2012

Guarantee, Returns, Repairs & Replacements

The Dooney & Bourke Guarantee
When you purchase a Dooney & Bourke handbag or accessory, you are making an investment that will pay dividends for many years to come. Our firm commitment to customer satisfaction is evident in all of our products, which are guaranteed against any defect in craftsmanship for one full year. If your Dooney & Bourke purchase does not withstand the rigors of normal use within one year, we will gladly repair or replace the item free of charge. Please keep in mind that some Dooney & Bourke products take on certain characteristics over a period of normal wear that are not considered defects. For instance, the leather trim and handles on many of our handbags will gradually darken to a richer shade with time and exposure to sunlight. This sort of natural aging, along with certain amounts of stretching and softening, creates a distinctive, matured appearance that will continue to enhance over time.

In order to be covered by our product guarantee, simply fill out and return the guarantee card that comes with each Dooney & Bourke product.

Returns
We will gladly exchange or refund your order, provided the merchandise is unused and you respond within thirty days after receiving your order. Shipping and handling fees are not refundable. To return an item, please ship it UPS or insured mail, and be sure to fill out and enclose the bottom portion of your invoice.

Any exchanged or refunded item will be credited for the price at which the item was purchased. If you choose to exchange your item, any replacement item will be charged at the current price at the time of your exchange.

The Dooney & Bourke Repair/Replacement Program
Repairs: After the initial year covered by our guarantee, we will gladly repair any Dooney & Bourke bag or accessory that has become damaged or worn. Repair costs vary, depending on the condition of the item, but will not exceed half of the current retail price for that particular style. Once we receive an item for repair, we will inspect the item, advise you of repair costs (via mail, allow 1-2 weeks) and request your approval before any repair work takes place. If your bag or accessory is beyond repair or if repair costs exceed half of the current retail price you will be eligible for a replacement.

Replacements: If an item is beyond repair, or if the repair costs exceed half of the current retail price, you have the option of having it replaced. You will be offered credit for half the current retail price of that item to apply toward a replacement item of equal or greater value. We will try to accommodate all replacement requests to your full satisfaction, however, it is not our policy to replace an item from a specific collection with another item from one of the following collections/styles: watches, coats, sweaters, scarves, hats, gloves and shoes, Internet specials and the new IT collection. Please note: The original item will not be returned to you. Once you have authorized a replacement, this item will be destroyed.

Processing: To repair or replace an item please return it to our factory with your name, address, and phone number (day and evening) via insured mail or UPS. Be sure to include a description of the repair / replacement needed. Allow 1-2 weeks for a written response and 4-6 weeks time for your requested repair and / or replacement.

Dooney & Bourke, Inc.
Att: Return Department
1 Regent Street
E. Norwalk, CT 06855

If you have any questions please contact our Customer Service Department:
(800) 347-5000
CustServ@Dooney.com

This was found at the official website.
Alexa

By LR03/22/2009

I have a giraffe lock satchel that also turned a horrible yellow color in places. I found out that it were mostly the places where it was exposed to sun or rain cause the bottom was still the nice off-white color.
I called D&B and basically got the same answers as everyone here, since my husband was transferred to Europe that wasn't an option.

I tried cleaning it gently but nothing worked and then I remembered we have this off-white leather paint/conditioner that we got with the ridiculous expensive off-white leather couch.
It worked I applied it like paint with a fine brush let dry and rubbed it out gently .. it's been months and it's nice and white.

Maybe look for something similar, they should have it in good furniture stores or maybe the high end automotive stored since many cars have white interior leather also.
good luck

By (Guest Post)02/22/2009

I bought a purse on ebay- a dooney and bourke "it" bag. the purse was suppose to be white but it was stained yellow and I have tried everything I could think to restore it. In the process, I managed to ruin the clear coating that they put over the leather- the purse is now yellow with bubbled leather. Just a suggestion- BE careful trying to clean your leather dooney! Watercauses the clear overlay to separate from the leather and then it bubbles! I'm just glad I bought mine on ebay for 20 dollars!

By Terri, CA (Guest Post)01/17/2009

My white barrel purse has turned to a dark Yellow and brownish color. i have only had this purse for 5 to 6 years and will not carry this purse around with me because it is embarrassing. I have read everyone's complaints and I will never buy another dooney and bourke purse again in my life. I'm going to try out. I spent too much money on this purse for this to happen to it. I was only able to actually use it for 2 years b-4 it started changing color, I haven't used it since then. I have a black one too, thank god that hasn't changed yet.

By DV (Guest Post)04/30/2008

If you mail the purse back to them they will refurbish it... for a price. Unfortunately, Dooney & Bourke only guarantee their products for a year. After that, they start charging you to fix it.

Here's their FAQ:
http://www.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=19779

By lizzy (Guest Post)04/28/2008

I also have a It purse and my mom put it in the closet for like two months and now it's yellowish in some areas. I tried soap, toothpaste, and water. I love my purse, any tips?

By (Guest Post)03/05/2008

I also have an "IT" bucket bag by dooney and bourke and and am mad at how yellow it is, I spent so much on it it's so hard to part with the purse! I need cleaning tips!

By Kim (Guest Post)01/06/2008

I've tried toothpaste and it seemed to work a little bit but not much. It is an IT bag.

By HaleyP (Guest Post)01/05/2008

I sent a email to the company (custserv1@dooney.com ) and this is their response:

Thank you for your email. In order for us to advise you on the care of
your item, we would need to know the style or collection in which the
item is from (ie: Signature, IT, All Weather Leather, etc).

This information is necessary to provide you with the proper care
instructions for your bag, as each product has it's own guidelines.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

I haven't gotten back with them yet

By Mandy (Guest Post)01/05/2008

I have the same purse! Mine too of course was turning yellow and I tried soap and a little bit of bleach, but nothing happened. So I put it away in a storage container, embarrassed to carry it around. I just pulled it out and it's even MORE yellow! I know it can't be heated, mine has never really been in heated area longer than probably 10 minutes (and that's just walking outside). I am going to try the toothpaste and spray and wash ideas, and I will let you know the outcome. But I am definately going to the website to complain or something, if that doesn't work, I will be calling!

By metroplex [81]12/06/2007

I don't know if Dooney and Bourke has a policy of renewing their handbags, but I know Coach does.

If you send in Coach bags they will refurbish, repair and often replace for free, their handbags for the rest of your life.

Maybe Dooney has a website you can log on to to find out. Really, their bags are so expensive and such an investment that I feel sure they would have some kind of lifetime guarantee.

Also, it seems that perhaps there is something wrong with the leather on your bag. They are supposed to last a lifetime and it doesn't seem right that their leather would discolor.

Smoochie
:)

By HaleyP (Guest Post)12/05/2007

I just bought one of their white purses two weeks ago at a thrift shop. When I got it home in bright light it also has a yellowish tint in the white areas. I'm looking forward to seeing what feedback you get on this subject!