Bad Smell on New Faux Fur Rub

I have just bought a faux fur throw rug. It has an odour - it is a dreadful synthetic smell - almost like oil or petrol. I have tried putting the rug through the washing machine but it still smells. Any advice anyone please? I have thought of baking soda but the pile of the rug is very deep - about 1 inch and I am worried I would not be able to get all of the powder out again.

KJP from Melbourne, Australia

If the rug is washable, use the baking soda, and then wash it out.

If you have a box/storage container with a lid big enough to hold the rug, place the rug in the container with 8-10 lumps of plain charcoal, or 2 cups of dry ground coffee. Cover for at least 3 days. Both absorb odors. Put the charcoal/coffee

in an open dish on top of the rug.

If a product called Febreze is sold inAustralia, spraying the rug with it might help.

the rug is made from petroleum products. that could be why it smells.

sorry, but it sounds like you got an cheaply made rug. some fabrics that are entirely synthetic and are not going to be used for clothing are made more cheaply and sometimes smell. i had a rug like that too. i bought it to use in the bathroom but it ended up on the back steps!. better luck next time.

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJuly 9, 2006
Faux Fur
Fixing Matted Faux Fur
White fake cake of boxes and bows
Faux Wedding Cake Ideas
Smelling clothing in the washing machine.
Clothes Smell Bad After Washing
Fur Coat
Repairing Fur Coats
🎄