Make a Castle Bed for your Child

contest winner icon

I drew the plans for this bed and my husband made it from 2x4's and cheap plywood. It only cost about $50 total for the wood and paint. There is plenty of storage underneath for our son's toys. I used masking tape to markoff the bricks/stones and sponged on black and white paint to make the stones look more real. The paint on the wall is done to give the appearance of the castle being more closed in. We also put Velcro around the top bed frame and our son can attach some cheap fabric I found for $1.00 a yard, to close in the castle for tent-like privacy.

He absolutely loves this bed.

BTW...my husband is no carpenter and says the bed is "rough" but our son loves it!

By Marianne

Wow Marianne, that is awesome!! My kids came in and saw that and are so jealous!! LOL

Great job :)

Wow.....congrats to both you, hubby and of course your son!!! You all did a good job on it and it looks so professional.........Give yourselves a pat on the back.........Ruth K. ;0)

This is really neat! Makes me wish I was a kid again. You guys did a wonderful job on this. Your son is lucky to have parents like you!

Awesome! I've been thinking about doing this in our grandkids room. It looks like what I was envisioning. How did you do the 'stone' wall? Keep up the good work. An imagination and creativity are so important to our kids. Grandma Sherri

sherri dot seymour at comcast dot net

I agree with the other posters. You guys did a wonderful job on the bed. It's soo cute.

What a wonderful creation in wood! I'll bet his buddies are all envious.

Harlean from Arkansas.

Great job Marianne, any kid would love it, and look at the money you saved............ Very unique idea.

Marianne,

your son is lucky to have such talented, caring parents. This lets your son know you special he is.

If you are able to do this then great, he looks very

happy and proud. Its not the $ but the love kids remember. My mom always played ball with us and nieghbor kids in the street and everyone always asks about her and my dad too. Its nice to have

that memory.

Thanks to everyone for their compliments...I passed these along to my husband as well!

Someone asked how I did the stone on the wall behind the bed. It was painted exactly like I painted the bed, using masking tape to mark off the "grout lines". I roughed in the area while the bed was against the wall with white chalk then moved the bed out to paint. Use a light gray base coat because this will be the grout lines. Then when dry mask off with tape and sponge on white and black paint to give the appearance of stone.

Photo of an organized girls bedroom.
Decorating Your Child's Bedroom
Crafts FurnitureSeptember 10, 2005
Castle Cake
Making a Castle Cake
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
boy lying in bed
Making a Castle Bed for Your Child
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper
🎉
🎄