Storing Celery

Storing celery and keeping it crisp is possible. This is a guide about storing celery.

April 9, 2016 Flag

Sometimes for lunch, I just eat a few celery stalks stuffed with pimento cheese spread. After finishing up this bunch, which was still fresh and crisp, I looked back at my grocery receipt and saw that it had been in the refrigerator for 16 days.

To keep it crisp, I wrap a wet folded paper towel around the bottom of the stalk and secure it with a rubber band. I keep the stalk of celery wrapped in a plastic bag. I change the paper towel and bag when needed.

Now, I'm going to see how long this next bunch will last.

Thanks, Mary Knight. I was wondering about planting the base of the celery bunch. The last one actually had started growing a root. It was about an inch long. How deep do you plant it and does it prefer full sun or shade?

OMG I just love this idea - thanks for sharing it. I have been going to salad bars and purchasing their celery in the amount I needed for a reciepe BUT NOW I will do this from now on!

August 30, 2011 Flag

If you unwrap celery when you get home from the store, then wrap it tightly in aluminum foil and refrigerate, it will last for several weeks. I always had celery go bad very quickly until I found this out.

March 23, 2016 Flag

It's easy to dry your own celery flakes to be used in salads, tuna salad or whatever recipe.

Celery Flakes

July 9, 2006 Flag

Tips for storing celery.

February 27, 2016 Flag

What is the best way to store cut pieces of celery in the refrigerator?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Wrap in aluminum foil.

Trim the celery, and store upright in a vase or pitcher with water in the bottom. Put stem ends down in the water.

March 18, 2013 Flag

Although I do not eat raw celery, I try to always keep it on hand for cooking. Lately I have noticed that another celery option is available in the grocery stores... pre-cut celery stalks.

July 21, 2006 Flag

I recently read something about keeping celery fresh much longer by wrapping it in foil. What I missed was. Do I take the plastic cover off of it? And do I wash it before wrapping it?

Thanks,
Judy from Birmingham, AL

Yes Take out of plastic bag. No need to wash. I have been doing this for years, Can keep up to 5 weeks.

Wash the celery. Slice into sticks. Store in a glass container with water. The celery will remain fresh and crisp. My mother used to do this with celery and carrots so that we had healthy snacks always at the ready.

August 10, 2012 Flag

This guide contains uses for celery leaves. There are a number of ways these leaves can be used for additional flavor.

Uses for Celery Leaves

June 6, 2012 Flag

Celery tends to quickly go limp in the refrigerator. Keep it crisp by rolling it in two sheets of paper towels, then a layer of aluminum foil. Slip the rolled-up celery back in the plastic bag it came in, then tie with a twist tie.

Store celery in aluminum foil

May 26, 2010 Flag

To keep your celery from going bad after you remove what you need from the stalk, wrap the remaining celery in tinfoil (twist tinfoil ends) and keep it in your refrigerator. It will last a long time

January 20, 2005 Flag

I read in your newsletter about wrapping celery in foil to keep it crisp. Thanks for the tip. I have a question though, I have read elsewhere about cutting the celery. Do I need to cut the bottom off the bunch of celery before I wrap it? Thanks.

Darlene in Mississauga

I watched a cooking show, and they said to always cut celery on an angle, and the celery will stay crisp when cooking.

You can always refresh it in a glass of ice water.

September 24, 2013 Flag

I have two celery bags that I can store the stalks in, however after awhile they still go limp? What can I do about this?

By Kent

I have had success storing celery in aluminum foil. Just make sure the stalk is dry, and wrap it completely in heavy duty foil, and store in the refrigerator. Each time you remove a rib, just re-wrap the stalk. I have been able to keep celery fresh and crisp for up to 3-4 weeks using this method.

May 21, 2013 Flag

What is the secret to keeping celery fresh to the last stalk? We (my spouse and I) found out that eating celery every day seems to help with lowering blood pressure. Our only problem is keeping it nice and crisp to the last stalk.

By Kathryen from northern Virginia, VA

Dry the stalk of celery well. Wrap it completely in aluminum foil, molding the foil to the celery as tightly as possible. Each time you use some celery, just re-wrap the rest in the foil and put back into the refrigerator. I have kept a stalk of celery fresh for as long as 3-4 weeks using this method.

February 8, 2012 Flag

This is a guide about freezing celery. Often when we buy celery at the market there are leftovers. Although it will no longer be crisp, celery can be frozen to use in cooking.

Freezing Celery

Load More
Food and Recipes StorageApril 20, 2012
Windowsill Celery Hearts
Growing Windowsill Celery Hearts
Saving Money on Celery
Saving Money on Celery
Limp Celery
Reviving Limp Celery
Celery new growth
Growing Celery
🎉
🎄