Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Storing Celery

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Celery on White Background

Storing celery and keeping it crisp is possible. This is a guide about storing celery.

Solutions: Storing Celery

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Keeping Celery

If you unwrap celery when you get home from the store, then wrap it tightly in aluminum foil and refrigerate, it will last for several weeks. I always had celery go bad very quickly until I found this out. Now it keeps until it's used.

Source: A friend told me to do this.

By quilterj from Columbus, NE

Tip: Make Celery Last a Month

Store celery in aluminum foilCelery tends to quickly go limp in the refrigerator. Keep it crisp by rolling it in two sheets of paper towels, then a layer of aluminum foil. Slip the rolled-up celery back in the plastic bag it came in, then tie with a twist tie. It will remain crunchy even after four weeks in your fridge's vegetable drawer.

By Ziggi from San Diego, CA

Tip: Store Your Celery in Aluminum Foil

To keep your celery from going bad after you remove what you need from the stalk, wrap the remaining celery in tinfoil (twist tinfoil ends) and keep it in your refrigerator. It will last a long time

By Tommyd from Dudley, MA

Tip: Prolonging the Life of Celery

Although I do not eat raw celery, I try to always keep it on hand for cooking. Lately I have noticed that another celery option is available in the grocery stores... pre-cut celery stalks. My husband brought these home for me once, and I was disappointed in their brief fridge life. I can't imagine that there is any benefit to buying these pre-cut pieces which are more expensive and which do not last as long. I buy the whole celery and can keep it for quite a while by doing the following:

First, when selecting your celery, look in the back of the produce case. A produce employee should have rotated the celery when putting out more, meaning that the freshest bunches should be in the back (such as when choosing milk). Pick a tight bunch that has no sign of browning or dry tips. I store mine in the bottom of the fridge in the plastic bag it came in.

When I begin using my celery, I peel off one individual stalk at a time. This keeps the other stalks intact and doesn't leave open, cut ends of the remaining stalks which will lose moisture.

My mother "always" peeled her celery when cooking. I never do and have never had any problems. I remember watching her laboriously peeling each stalk, creating waste and losing time. She has eaten food I have cooked with celery and has never noticed that I don't peel!

I use every part of each individual stalk right down to the very end, then I give this bottom piece to the rabbits or guinea pig. I definitely use the leaves, as they are full of flavor.

As time passes, the leaves on the remaining stalks on the bunch in the fridge will begin to dry out. Right as this begins to happen, I start to cut the tops off and use them for cooking, leaving the rest of each stalk attached to the base. Doing this, I can extend the life of the celery further, as wilting seems to begin from the leaves downward.

If I know I will not be cooking any other dishes with the celery and it is starting to look less fresh, I chop it up and put it in a baggie in the freezer to use for soup. Frozen celery works very well in most dishes. Nothing is ever wasted except for the very end... which of course isn't wasted because it goes to a pet!

By

Tip: Storing Celery

If you like celery be sure to wrap it up in foil when you put it away in the fridge, it'll last for ever, weeks anyway!

Janet from Bangor ME

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Storing Celery.

Question: Keeping Celery Fresh

I recently read something about keeping celery fresh much longer by wrapping it in foil. What I missed was. Do I take the plastic cover off of it? And do I wash it before wrapping it?

Thanks,
Judy from Birmingham, AL

Most Recent Answer

By (Guest Post)05/03/2008

Wash the celery. Slice into sticks. Store in a glass container with water. The celery will remain fresh and crisp. My mother used to do this with celery and carrots so that we had healthy snacks always at the ready.

Question: Celery Stored in Bags Still Gets Limp

I have two celery bags that I can store the stalks in, however after awhile they still go limp? What can I do about this?

By Kent

Most Recent Answer

By frances09/24/2013

I have had success storing celery in aluminum foil. Just make sure the stalk is dry, and wrap it completely in heavy duty foil, and store in the refrigerator. Each time you remove a rib, just re-wrap the stalk. I have been able to keep celery fresh and crisp for up to 3-4 weeks using this method.

Question: Keeping Celery Crisp

What is the secret to keeping celery fresh to the last stalk? We (my spouse and I) found out that eating celery every day seems to help with lowering blood pressure. Our only problem is keeping it nice and crisp to the last stalk.

By Kathryen from northern Virginia, VA

Most Recent Answer

By frances05/22/2013

Dry the stalk of celery well. Wrap it completely in aluminum foil, molding the foil to the celery as tightly as possible. Each time you use some celery, just re-wrap the rest in the foil and put back into the refrigerator. I have kept a stalk of celery fresh for as long as 3-4 weeks using this method.

Question: Do I Cut Celery To Keep It Fresh?

I read in your newsletter about wrapping celery in foil to keep it crisp. Thanks for the tip. I have a question though, I have read elsewhere about cutting the celery. Do I need to cut the bottom off the bunch of celery before I wrap it? Thanks.

Darlene in Mississauga

Most Recent Answer

By Barb02/03/2011

I wrap the whole stalk of celery in paper towel and place it in those green bags. I swear by these bags. I use them for all my veggies and the brown ones for my bread.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Store Your Celery In Aluminum Foil

If you wash and dry your celery, then wrap it in tin foil. It will last twice as long. Don't laugh, it really works. I didn't believe it either until I tried it and, believe me, it really does work. Keep it near the bottom of the fridge or in one of the drawers.

Source: Its a tip that came in our local neighborhood magazine, the Bowester.

By Barb from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

RE: Store Your Celery In Aluminum Foil

I also wrap my celery in aluminum foil. Have to agree that the celery stays much fresher and doesn't get wilted. (02/27/2008)

By MCW

Archive: Keeping Celery Crisp

Paper Towel and Aluminum Foil

Take the plastic sleeve off the celery stalk and wrap in paper towel and wrap alum foil tightly around the stalk, every time you remove some of the ribs-rewrap with the paper towel and alum foil, you will be surprise how long the celery will remain fresh and usable

By Rita Purvis

Keeping Celery Fresh

To prevent celery from going bad or getting stale in the refrigerator wrap the celery in aluminum foil. Place it back in the refrigerator and It will stay fresh for weeks.

By Zelma Bieard Ragsdale

Keeping Celery Crisp

To keep celery crisp, stand it upright in a pitcher of cold, salted water and refrigerate.

By Peggy

By ThriftyFun

Keeping Celery Crisp

I came across this accidentally. I bought celery and forgot I already had some. When buying celery I always put it in the plastic bags in the store that require twist ties. It was nearly 3 weeks before I got to my 'new' celery and it was as crisp and fresh looking as when I just bought it. Now I always leave my celery in the bag and after taking out what I want I close it with the twist tie. I think the lack of air helps to keep it fresh.

By klawrence34

Keeping Celery Crisp

Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator and it will keep much longer!

By Bobbie Gillette

RE: Keeping Celery Crisp

Wash celery well under running water, being careful to rinse the inside as well. Stand upside down and drain completely, then put in a clean breadsack loosely in the fridge. It will last a long time.)

By Aunt Sharon from Texas

I have learned that if you fully wrap your bunch of celery (unwashed and uncut with the twist tie removed) in foil and store it in the fridge it will last longer. I just used the last of some I stored a little over 4 weeks ago! I like to keep it on hand but used to end up throwing out about half as I did not get it used up before it started going bad. I know you can freeze it for cooking but I love having it fresh also.

By Mumsey from San Antonio, TX

RE: Store Your Celery In Aluminum Foil

If you usually use celery in soups or casseroles buy it when it is cheaper and chop it up and bag it and place in the freezer. No blanching necessary. You always have a supply of chopped celery on hand when you are in a hurry. (08/19/2008)

By Katydid, Australia

RE: Store Your Celery In Aluminum Foil

You need to get those green bags that are advertised on TV and in local stores. They are great. Celery, peppers, and lettuce last for weeks. Do not wash before you store. I always used the tin foil method until I tried the green bags. Just put them in the bag, fold the top and place in vegie drawer. For what it's worth,

Carolyn from NC (08/19/2008)

By red hatter carol

RE: Store Your Celery In Aluminum Foil

I have been doing this for a few years and it works really well. But when I try to tell others to do it they think I am crazy, oh well, their loss! (08/26/2008)

By animal_cmh

I read a tip about refreshing wilted celery. My tip is, don't let it wilt. You can buy one or two stalks of celery, use what you need at the time, wash all of it, chop some of the coarser parts up and freeze to add to soups and stews when needed, but cut the rest into about 4 inch pieces and wrap bunches of it tightly in aluminum foil. It will keep a long time in the fridge. I have had some last more than three weeks, and still be crisp enough to use in a salad.

By Loretta from Theodore, AL

Archive: Store Your Celery in Aluminum Foil

Extend the life and quality of celery by wrapping tightly in foil before placing it in the crisper of your refrigerator. It lasts for a very long time.

By TxTiket2Ride2 from Fort Worth, TX

RE: Store Your Celery in Aluminum Foil

I have been doing this ever since I read about it about 2 year ago and it definitely works. (09/04/2009)

By blavergne

RE: Store Your Celery in Aluminum Foil

Aluminum foil also works well for lettuce - try it and see! (09/05/2009)

By ahastings7878

RE: Store Your Celery in Aluminum Foil

Beware! Did you know that aluminum has been associated with Alzheimer's disease? It's possibly not a good idea to store your food in it if you are concerned. (09/21/2009)

By merry50

Celery will keep for weeks if it's tightly wrapped in aluminum foil. Wash it and dry it as soon as you get it home from the store, then seal the stalk in foil. You'll be surprised at how long it'll last!

By julievojo from SE Minnesota

RE: Store Your Celery in Aluminum Foil

I store my bunch of celery in the green bags, clipped closed with a clothespin and I wrap the bunch of celery in paper towel(s) to keep it from sweating on inside of bag. I love the green bags! Saved me a lot of veggies. (04/01/2010)

By Indianone