Storing Celery

Storing celery and keeping it crisp is possible. This is a guide about storing celery.

Celery on White Background
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 9, 2016 Flag

Sometimes for lunch, I just eat a few celery stalks stuffed with pimento cheese spread. After finishing up this bunch, which was still fresh and crisp, I looked back at my grocery receipt and saw that it had been in the refrigerator for 16 days.

Keeping Celery Fresh and Crisp

To keep it crisp, I wrap a wet folded paper towel around the bottom of the stalk and secure it with a rubber band. I keep the stalk of celery wrapped in a plastic bag. I change the paper towel and bag when needed.

Now, I'm going to see how long this next bunch will last.

Keeping Celery Fresh and Crisp
    Keeping Celery Fresh and Crisp
    Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 27, 2016 Flag

What is the best way to store cut pieces of celery in the refrigerator?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Wrap in aluminum foil.

Trim the celery, and store upright in a vase or pitcher with water in the bottom. Put stem ends down in the water.

August 30, 2011 Flag

If you unwrap celery when you get home from the store, then wrap it tightly in aluminum foil and refrigerate, it will last for several weeks. I always had celery go bad very quickly until I found this out. Now it keeps until it's used.

Source: A friend told me to do this.

By quilterj from Columbus, NE

March 23, 2016 Flag

It's easy to dry your own celery flakes to be used in salads, tuna salad or whatever recipe.

Celery Flakes

July 21, 2006 Flag

I recently read something about keeping celery fresh much longer by wrapping it in foil. What I missed was. Do I take the plastic cover off of it? And do I wash it before wrapping it?

Thanks,
      Judy from Birmingham, AL

Yes Take out of plastic bag. No need to wash. I have been doing this for years, Can keep up to 5 weeks.

Wash the celery. Slice into sticks. Store in a glass container with water. The celery will remain fresh and crisp. My mother used to do this with celery and carrots so that we had healthy snacks always at the ready.

Read More Answers...

July 9, 2006 Flag

If you like celery be sure to wrap it up in foil when you put it away in the fridge, it'll last for ever, weeks anyway!

Janet from Bangor ME

September 24, 2013 Flag

I have two celery bags that I can store the stalks in, however after awhile they still go limp? What can I do about this?

By Kent

I have had success storing celery in aluminum foil. Just make sure the stalk is dry, and wrap it completely in heavy duty foil, and store in the refrigerator. Each time you remove a rib, just re-wrap the stalk. I have been able to keep celery fresh and crisp for up to 3-4 weeks using this method.

May 21, 2013 Flag

What is the secret to keeping celery fresh to the last stalk? We (my spouse and I) found out that eating celery every day seems to help with lowering blood pressure. Our only problem is keeping it nice and crisp to the last stalk.

By Kathryen from northern Virginia, VA

Dry the stalk of celery well. Wrap it completely in aluminum foil, molding the foil to the celery as tightly as possible. Each time you use some celery, just re-wrap the rest in the foil and put back into the refrigerator. I have kept a stalk of celery fresh for as long as 3-4 weeks using this method.

August 10, 2012 Flag

This guide contains uses for celery leaves. There are a number of ways these leaves can be used for additional flavor.

Uses for Celery Leaves

June 6, 2012 Flag

Store celery in aluminum foilCelery tends to quickly go limp in the refrigerator. Keep it crisp by rolling it in two sheets of paper towels, then a layer of aluminum foil. Slip the rolled-up celery back in the plastic bag it came in, then tie with a twist tie. It will remain crunchy even after four weeks in your fridge's vegetable drawer.

By Ziggi from San Diego, CA

March 18, 2013 Flag

Although I do not eat raw celery, I try to always keep it on hand for cooking. Lately I have noticed that another celery option is available in the grocery stores... pre-cut celery stalks.

May 26, 2010 Flag

To keep your celery from going bad after you remove what you need from the stalk, wrap the remaining celery in tinfoil (twist tinfoil ends) and keep it in your refrigerator. It will last a long time

February 8, 2012 Flag

This is a guide about freezing celery. Often when we buy celery at the market there are leftovers. Although it will no longer be crisp, celery can be frozen to use in cooking.

Freezing Celery

January 20, 2005 Flag

I read in your newsletter about wrapping celery in foil to keep it crisp. Thanks for the tip. I have a question though, I have read elsewhere about cutting the celery. Do I need to cut the bottom off the bunch of celery before I wrap it? Thanks.

Darlene in Mississauga

You can always refresh it in a glass of ice water.

I wrap the whole stalk of celery in paper towel and place it in those green bags. I swear by these bags. I use them for all my veggies and the brown ones for my bread.

Read More Answers...

May 26, 2010 Flag

Celery will keep for weeks if it's tightly wrapped in aluminum foil. Wash it and dry it as soon as you get it home from the store, then seal the stalk in foil. You'll be surprised at how long it'll last!

By julievojo from SE Minnesota

Answers:

Store Your Celery in Aluminum Foil

I store my bunch of celery in the green bags, clipped closed with a clothespin and I wrap the bunch of celery in paper towel(s) to keep it from sweating on inside of bag. I love the green bags! Saved me a lot of veggies. (04/01/2010)

By Indianone

March 31, 2010 Flag

Extend the life and quality of celery by wrapping tightly in foil before placing it in the crisper of your refrigerator. It lasts for a very long time.

By TxTiket2Ride2 from Fort Worth, TX

Answers:

Store Your Celery in Aluminum Foil

I have been doing this ever since I read about it about 2 year ago and it definitely works. (09/04/2009)

By blavergne

Store Your Celery in Aluminum Foil

Aluminum foil also works well for lettuce - try it and see! (09/05/2009)

By ahastings7878

Store Your Celery in Aluminum Foil

Beware! Did you know that aluminum has been associated with Alzheimer's disease? It's possibly not a good idea to store your food in it if you are concerned. (09/21/2009)

By merry50

September 2, 2009 Flag

I read a tip about refreshing wilted celery. My tip is, don't let it wilt. You can buy one or two stalks of celery, use what you need at the time, wash all of it, chop some of the coarser parts up and freeze to add to soups and stews when needed, but cut the rest into about 4 inch pieces and wrap bunches of it tightly in aluminum foil. It will keep a long time in the fridge. I have had some last more than three weeks, and still be crisp enough to use in a salad.

By Loretta from Theodore, AL

May 5, 2009 Flag

I have learned that if you fully wrap your bunch of celery (unwashed and uncut with the twist tie removed) in foil and store it in the fridge it will last longer. I just used the last of some I stored a little over 4 weeks ago! I like to keep it on hand but used to end up throwing out about half as I did not get it used up before it started going bad. I know you can freeze it for cooking but I love having it fresh also.

By Mumsey from San Antonio, TX

Answers:

Store Your Celery In Aluminum Foil

If you usually use celery in soups or casseroles buy it when it is cheaper and chop it up and bag it and place in the freezer. No blanching necessary. You always have a supply of chopped celery on hand when you are in a hurry. (08/19/2008)

By Katydid, Australia

Store Your Celery In Aluminum Foil

You need to get those green bags that are advertised on TV and in local stores. They are great. Celery, peppers, and lettuce last for weeks. Do not wash before you store. I always used the tin foil method until I tried the green bags. Just put them in the bag, fold the top and place in vegie drawer. For what it's worth,

Carolyn from NC (08/19/2008)

By red hatter carol

Store Your Celery In Aluminum Foil

I have been doing this for a few years and it works really well. But when I try to tell others to do it they think I am crazy, oh well, their loss! (08/26/2008)

By animal_cmh

August 15, 2008 Flag

If you wash and dry your celery, then wrap it in tin foil. It will last twice as long. Don't laugh, it really works. I didn't believe it either until I tried it and, believe me, it really does work.

January 11, 2005 Flag
      Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
      Food and Recipes StorageApril 20, 2012
      Windowsill Celery Hearts
      Growing Windowsill Celery Hearts
      Saving Money on Celery
      Saving Money on Celery
      Limp Celery
      Reviving Limp Celery
      Celery new growth
      Growing Celery
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 8:39:05 PM on 10.0.0.150 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.