Storing Celery

Category Storage
Storing celery and keeping it crisp is possible. This is a guide about storing celery.

Sometimes for lunch, I just eat a few celery stalks stuffed with pimento cheese spread. After finishing up this bunch, which was still fresh and crisp, I looked back at my grocery receipt and saw that it had been in the refrigerator for 16 days.

To keep it crisp, I wrap a wet folded paper towel around the bottom of the stalk and secure it with a rubber band. I keep the stalk of celery wrapped in a plastic bag. I change the paper towel and bag when needed.

Now, I'm going to see how long this next bunch will last.

OMG I just love this idea - thanks for sharing it. I have been going to salad bars and purchasing their celery in the amount I needed for a reciepe BUT NOW I will do this from now on!

If you unwrap celery when you get home from the store, then wrap it tightly in aluminum foil and refrigerate, it will last for several weeks. I always had celery go bad very quickly until I found this out. Now it keeps until it's used.

Source: A friend told me to do this.

By quilterj from Columbus, NE

Wrap it in plastic wrap first so the celery won't come in contact with the foil.

Celery Flakes

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

It's easy to dry your own celery flakes to be used in salads, tuna salad or whatever recipe.

Although I do not eat raw celery, I try to always keep it on hand for cooking. Lately I have noticed that another celery option is available in the grocery stores... pre-cut celery stalks.

Tips for storing celery.

Uses for Celery Leaves

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

This guide contains uses for celery leaves. There are a number of ways these leaves can be used for additional flavor.

Store celery in aluminum foil

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

Celery tends to quickly go limp in the refrigerator. Keep it crisp by rolling it in two sheets of paper towels, then a layer of aluminum foil. Slip the rolled-up celery back in the plastic bag it came in, then tie with a twist tie.

To keep your celery from going bad after you remove what you need from the stalk, wrap the remaining celery in tinfoil (twist tinfoil ends) and keep it in your refrigerator. It will last a long time

Freezing Celery

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about freezing celery. Often when we buy celery at the market there are leftovers. Although it will no longer be crisp, celery can be frozen to use in cooking.

What is the best way to store cut pieces of celery in the refrigerator?

Wrap in aluminum foil.

Trim the celery, and store upright in a vase or pitcher with water in the bottom. Put stem ends down in the water.

I recently read something about keeping celery fresh much longer by wrapping it in foil. What I missed was. Do I take the plastic cover off of it? And do I wash it before wrapping it?

Thanks,
Judy from Birmingham, AL

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Yes Take out of plastic bag. No need to wash. I have been doing this for years, Can keep up to 5 weeks.

Wash the celery. Slice into sticks. Store in a glass container with water. The celery will remain fresh and crisp. My mother used to do this with celery and carrots so that we had healthy snacks always at the ready.

I read in your newsletter about wrapping celery in foil to keep it crisp. Thanks for the tip. I have a question though, I have read elsewhere about cutting the celery. Do I need to cut the bottom off the bunch of celery before I wrap it? Thanks.

Darlene in Mississauga

I watched a cooking show, and they said to always cut celery on an angle, and the celery will stay crisp when cooking.

You can always refresh it in a glass of ice water.

I have two celery bags that I can store the stalks in, however after awhile they still go limp? What can I do about this?

By Kent

I have had success storing celery in aluminum foil. Just make sure the stalk is dry, and wrap it completely in heavy duty foil, and store in the refrigerator. Each time you remove a rib, just re-wrap the stalk. I have been able to keep celery fresh and crisp for up to 3-4 weeks using this method.

What is the secret to keeping celery fresh to the last stalk? We (my spouse and I) found out that eating celery every day seems to help with lowering blood pressure. Our only problem is keeping it nice and crisp to the last stalk.

By Kathryen from northern Virginia, VA

Dry the stalk of celery well. Wrap it completely in aluminum foil, molding the foil to the celery as tightly as possible. Each time you use some celery, just re-wrap the rest in the foil and put back into the refrigerator. I have kept a stalk of celery fresh for as long as 3-4 weeks using this method.

Celery will keep for weeks if it's tightly wrapped in aluminum foil. Wash it and dry it as soon as you get it home from the store, then seal the stalk in foil. You'll be surprised at how long it'll last!

By julievojo from SE Minnesota

Answers:

Store Your Celery in Aluminum Foil

I store my bunch of celery in the green bags, clipped closed with a clothespin and I wrap the bunch of celery in paper towel(s) to keep it from sweating on inside of bag. I love the green bags! Saved me a lot of veggies. (04/01/2010)

By Indianone

Extend the life and quality of celery by wrapping tightly in foil before placing it in the crisper of your refrigerator. It lasts for a very long time.

By TxTiket2Ride2 from Fort Worth, TX

Answers:

Store Your Celery in Aluminum Foil

I have been doing this ever since I read about it about 2 year ago and it definitely works. (09/04/2009)

By blavergne

Store Your Celery in Aluminum Foil

Aluminum foil also works well for lettuce - try it and see! (09/05/2009)

By ahastings7878

Store Your Celery in Aluminum Foil

Beware! Did you know that aluminum has been associated with Alzheimer's disease? It's possibly not a good idea to store your food in it if you are concerned. (09/21/2009)

By merry50

I read a tip about refreshing wilted celery. My tip is, don't let it wilt. You can buy one or two stalks of celery, use what you need at the time, wash all of it, chop some of the coarser parts up and freeze to add to soups and stews when needed, but cut the rest into about 4 inch pieces and wrap bunches of it tightly in aluminum foil. It will keep a long time in the fridge. I have had some last more than three weeks, and still be crisp enough to use in a salad.

By Loretta from Theodore, AL

I have learned that if you fully wrap your bunch of celery (unwashed and uncut with the twist tie removed) in foil and store it in the fridge it will last longer. I just used the last of some I stored a little over 4 weeks ago! I like to keep it on hand but used to end up throwing out about half as I did not get it used up before it started going bad. I know you can freeze it for cooking but I love having it fresh also.

By Mumsey from San Antonio, TX

Answers:

Store Your Celery In Aluminum Foil

If you usually use celery in soups or casseroles buy it when it is cheaper and chop it up and bag it and place in the freezer. No blanching necessary. You always have a supply of chopped celery on hand when you are in a hurry. (08/19/2008)

By Katydid, Australia

Store Your Celery In Aluminum Foil

You need to get those green bags that are advertised on TV and in local stores. They are great. Celery, peppers, and lettuce last for weeks. Do not wash before you store. I always used the tin foil method until I tried the green bags. Just put them in the bag, fold the top and place in vegie drawer. For what it's worth,

Carolyn from NC (08/19/2008)

By red hatter carol

Store Your Celery In Aluminum Foil

I have been doing this for a few years and it works really well. But when I try to tell others to do it they think I am crazy, oh well, their loss! (08/26/2008)

By animal_cmh

If you wash and dry your celery, then wrap it in tin foil. It will last twice as long. Don't laugh, it really works. I didn't believe it either until I tried it and, believe me, it really does work. Keep it near the bottom of the fridge or in one of the drawers.

Source: Its a tip that came in our local neighborhood magazine, the Bowester.

By Barb from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Answers:

Store Your Celery In Aluminum Foil

I also wrap my celery in aluminum foil. Have to agree that the celery stays much fresher and doesn't get wilted. (02/27/2008)

By MCW

Paper Towel and Aluminum Foil

Take the plastic sleeve off the celery stalk and wrap in paper towel and wrap alum foil tightly around the stalk, every time you remove some of the ribs-rewrap with the paper towel and alum foil, you will be surprise how long the celery will remain fresh and usable

By Rita Purvis

Keeping Celery Fresh

To prevent celery from going bad or getting stale in the refrigerator wrap the celery in aluminum foil. Place it back in the refrigerator and It will stay fresh for weeks.

By Zelma Bieard Ragsdale

Keeping Celery Crisp

To keep celery crisp, stand it upright in a pitcher of cold, salted water and refrigerate.

By Peggy

By ThriftyFun

Keeping Celery Crisp

I came across this accidentally. I bought celery and forgot I already had some. When buying celery I always put it in the plastic bags in the store that require twist ties. It was nearly 3 weeks before I got to my 'new' celery and it was as crisp and fresh looking as when I just bought it. Now I always leave my celery in the bag and after taking out what I want I close it with the twist tie. I think the lack of air helps to keep it fresh.

By klawrence34

Keeping Celery Crisp

Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator and it will keep much longer!

By Bobbie Gillette

Keeping Celery Crisp

Wash celery well under running water, being careful to rinse the inside as well. Stand upside down and drain completely, then put in a clean breadsack loosely in the fridge. It will last a long time.)

By Aunt Sharon from Texas