Browsing: Getting Rid of Urine Odors

Unpleasant Urine Odour

Recently, when visiting an elderly family member in a nursing home, I couldn't help but notice the strong smell of urine in the areas where he spends most of his time. Is there anything that I could suggest to the nursing home to do/use to mask this smell, at least in the room where he sleeps. I know it sounds ghastly but the staff are always cleaning up "little accidents", surely there is something that can be done to make it a little more pleasant?

Kay from Albury, Australia

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

My father in law has the same problem. After he leaves, we spray the area with NutraAir or Febreze. Maybe you could suggest to the nursing home to have a supply of those cheapo chair pillows (I hope you know what I'm talking about, I've seen them at the dollar store and they have little ties on them which you're supposed to tie to the back of the chair) and replace the ones he's sat on every so often and put the dirty ones in the laundry.

Best Answer

I am a nurse and when I worked in a nursing home we used lemon slices! Put in a cup and tape to back of chair and bed. Change daily. We also took a lemon slice and ran the slice on the chrome on the guard rail. We used this also with someone that had flesh rotting and it really did help alot. Needed to change once a shift on that one,though.

Best Answer

No nursing home should smell of urine. If it does, it is a sign that the place is being inadequately cleaned. There are commercial products to deal with this problem. It isn't the responsibility of the nursing staff to handle this, either. The nursing home has a custodial staff that doesn't seem to be doing their job properly. Have a word with the administrator. Squeaky wheels get the grease. If this isn't resolved I would notify the appropriate state or governmental licensing board.

Best Answer

I am a nurse and before that worked in a bar, we used to use vinegar and water to clean the urine odor(making sure to change the water and vinegar often) for the male bathrooms. In nursing we have used shaving cream. If the facility is old the flooring may need to be replaced, you can cot get the smell out if it has soaked in the floor no matter how hard you or housekeeping try. It may not be the homes fault. Unless they just won't change the flooring. Also you might want to check to see if your family member has a possible infection ( or someone that might share the space). Talk to other family members.

The products in the pet department that eliminate pet urine odor also claim to eliminate human urine odor. I've only used it on pet smell, but it works well in that application.

I hope you do talk to the staff,but beyond that I know shaving cream in your uncles bath water or a little on a wash cloth will help the odour on him. Good luck

what kind of shaving cream for the urine odour?

My old dog just urinated on my brand new carpet (nylon stainmaster very light color). I blotted thoroughly, used incredible twice, sucked up with vacuum cleaner that takes up liquids, then used baking soda twice (waiting an hour between eachP). It still stinks horribly. As far as staining it is too soon to tell. Help. I am selling my house and need to get rid of the smell quick.

I own a tavern in Oregon and have to constantly deal with urine smell in the men's room. Straight bleach will not remove the odor but mopping daily with Spic n Span does.

woman holding her nose
Getting Rid of Urine Odors
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsSeptember 18, 2004
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
cat in a house
Getting Rid of Cat Urine Odors
cleaning products on a floor
Cleaning Pet Urine Odors on Floors
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 21, 2016 at 11:38:48 PM on 10.0.1.177 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.