Browsing: Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

Using too high a power setting or starting to heat your food and walking away, sometimes results in a burn marks in your microwave. This is a guide about cleaning a burnt microwave.

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 16, 2008 Flag

I sprayed the microwave with cleaner, and left it to soak. While it was soaking my husband thought it would be a good idea to use the microwave, and the cleaner has sort of burnt on, and there is a very strong chemical smell that I cannot get rid of. Also the whole inside of the microwave has stained yellow.

I've tried cleaning it with plain water as I'm nervous about adding to the chemical smell. Anyone have any ideas? Especially about the yellow stain.

Joanne from Manchester, England

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How to get a smoke stain out the microwave

I put in some chickpea flour & corriander powder for 3 mins but forgot to check as it had switched off when opened microwave it was smoking & all the inside of microwave is brown & smell so smokey tried bicarbonate soda with lemon in water but not made much difference please help

i have a microwave with a burned smell coming out it how can i get rid of the burned smell

March 15, 2011 Flag

How do I clean a microwave oven that had a burnt popcorn melt down? There are lots of yellow areas that look horrible.

By Laurie

There are a few things you can do. A 2 tablespoons of ground coffee in some water and mix it in a bowl ( 1/2-2/3) the way full or use fresh coffee you've already made in a cup put it in the microwave for a few minutes (let it boil over. It will spill clean it. You may need to do this twice but coffee removes Odor. It should work.

But if you don't want the mess of that, get a product called simple green (at Walgreens and most hardware and home improvement stores) spray it, let it sit for a few minutes and wipe clean. Also nail polish remover will get rid of the yellow stains.

Hope that helps!

I wouldn't use acetone around a heat source, that could be very dangerous! To remove odors, put a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in a bowl with a cup or two of water, and let it go on high for about 5 mins. This should help take the smell away. Remove the bowl carefully! Now your oven is nice and moist, and will be easy to wipe down with a bit of vinegar and/or lemon juice. No chemicals, no cost. By the way, a plain bag of popcorn is so much cheaper and healthier, not to mention you can flavor it in so many ways if you do it yourself on the stovetop.

Microwave is yellow inside how do I clean it

June 24, 2013 Flag

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Vinegar and lemons didn't really help. Neither did the coffee. A Hot Pocket burnt to charcoal as was the plate.

On hearing the suggestions to cook food, I popped four bags of popcorn and right now anyway, that's the predominant smell. I am also perking coffee on the stove below. The house now smells like popcorn and coffee, far better than burnt charcoal. I'm going to continue to pop popcorn and get some bacon to cook. Also I used an erase away pad on the yellowed interior. It is almost perfect. I will get Simple Green. Thanks again.

By betray

March 16, 2013 Flag

I was heating a dry towel in my microwave and the towel burnt and left burn marks on the inside of the microwave. I put baking soda and vinegar inside to take away the odor. It doesn't have an odor unless I have something something in for longer than 5 minutes, then the microwave has that burnt smell. I'm sure it's because I can't get the burnt marks off. I've tried a baking soda paste and even a soapy Brillo pad, but I just can't get the stains off. Is there anything short of buying a new microwave that someone could suggest?

By Nancy W.

We had a burn mark in our new microwave due to a small metal tie around a package of frozen hamburger rolls. We tried all the products we learned on the internet. Nothing worked. I then remembered the Quixx scratch remover I had bought for a scratch on our car. I followed the directions and it really removed the burn mark and all the discoloration. We were amazed.

October 13, 2000 Flag

I burned popcorn in my microwave and the inside is now stained yellow. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this out?

Laurie

Acetone will take care of the yellow stain.

June 4, 2007 Flag

Did you leave that microwave popcorn in there too long? Do you have a brown, yucky mess? I did too! I tried one tip that barely worked, then I remembered using something to clean off the soot on the inside of my wood stove window. SIMPLE GREEN.

Yes, it's simple and it's in a green can. I like the fact that it's also non-acidic, non-toxic, and bio-degradable. And boy does it work! I used it to get off the brown stains in my microwave from really OLD popcorn. I sprayed it on, waited 2 minutes (if that), and wiped with a paper towel and that was it. No more brown stains! Hallelujah for Simple Green.

By Dustie Jackson from Tuscola, TX

More Advice:

I need help cleaning my burnt Microwave.

The finger nail polish remover, acetone, to remove the yellow burnt stains works! Also, using it direct on a flat cosmetic swabs worked best, believe or not. Use your knuckles in the swab and quick strokes with the swab worked best. It will take a few times over, but now it looks like brand new. Thanks! (11/27/2005)

By Robert

Popcorn burnt in the Microwave!

I first cleaned a lot of the yellowing off with laundry detergent, but the smell was still there. I didn't use acetone, but I did use fingernail polish remover...mine was non-acetone. It worked on the rest of the discoloring, and on most of the smell! (In just a few minutes. I'm steaming with some of the vanilla, just because I like that smell better. (10/16/2006)

By George

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave.

Grandma burned some previously cooked chicken in the microwave, attempting to recycle it for the dog. Bad idea. Came home to billows of smoke and ghastly smell. The house cleared with airing and orange oil air fresheners. The microwave was more difficult. Cleaned the stains with nail polish remover (thank you!) followed by baking soda and water baths. Boiled vinegar (some better), followed by boiling water with lemon oil and vanilla several times a day. Everything helps a bit, but if it doesn't clear in another day or two, will soon be microwave shopping. (11/07/2006)

By Linda

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave.

I have had this problem numerous times, mostly from burned popcorn, but today, from a burned brownie (the kind that come with microwaveable meals, I cut out the section with the brownie one day when I didn't want the brownie, and saved it for later, but when I tried to cook just the brownie portion today, I didn't adjust the cook time, and voila, instant house filled with thick smoke that smelled like pure burnt sugar).

I tried everything, from vinegar with baking soda to Windex to orange scented cleanser to Pine-Sol, and nothing worked to kill the lingering smell inside the microwave. I refused to admit defeat, because it's a brand new microwave! I'll save my rant about the popcorn button on it for some other forum, let's just say, the only way I can cook popcorn without burning it is to underpop the stuff. Microwave is too powerful for it's own good, and even reducing the power level doesn't help, because then the popcorn stops and starts popping a lot, which results in disaster.

Finally, I thought of something: Coffee absorbs odors! I put two tablespoons of freshly ground coffee into a ceramic coffee cup, and added enough water to bring it to about half full. When you do this, be sure to sit the coffee mug down into a microwave-safe ceramic or glass bowl or something, because it boils over all over the place). Put that in the microwave and nuke it for about two minutes (long enough for it to boil all over the place, or preferably into the bowl). It will splash out around the microwave some, but that's a good thing in my opinion!

Open the door, carefully remove the bowl and mug (carefully! It was boiling a second ago, remember?!) and sit it gently down into the sink to cool. Immediately wipe out the microwave with a damp cloth or paper towels, and if you have a pool of liquid in the bottom of the microwave, use a handful of paper towels to soak it up so you don't get any on yourself and burn yourself.

After you've wiped it all clean, poke your head in and smell the inside of the microwave. Smell anything other than a little coffee smell? Repeat if you need to, I had to do it twice, but the smell seems to be gone now!

I also wiped the inside down with some windex afterward to be sure I got all the coffee to prevent coffee stains. (11/15/2006)

By Lisa S.

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave.

The coffee trick really worked! I burned a bag of popcorn five days ago and tried EVERYTHING to try to get the smell and stains out, but nothing worked until now. The burnt smell is all gone now. I'm trying the Simple Green trick later on today for the remaining stains the oven cleaner didnt get. If that doesn't work I will graduate to acetone.

Thanks a million! That smell had been driving me CRAZY! (01/19/2007)

By Nicole

March 15, 2011 Flag

We were microwaving baked potatoes and they burned and left black on the inside of the microwave which can't just be wiped off. Any suggestions?

December 18, 2010 Flag

How do I get the black burnt discoloration out of my microwave? I have had some success with "Barkeeper's Friend", but wonder if there is another product besides vinegar/lemon/baking soda, bleach products, Mean Green cleaner, etc. I could use.

November 2, 2010 Flag

My little sister tried cooking a fish fillet in the microwave. It has a horrible burned smell now and the inside has been turned from white to yellow.

May 3, 2010 Flag

I have a stain in the microwave from a burnt potato where it smoked and caught on fire and burned up black.

February 7, 2010 Flag

How do I clean a burnt microwave?

January 26, 2010 Flag

My husband put an aluminum foil pan in the microwave and there was a black burnt spot on the door. Can this be fixed?

November 16, 2009 Flag

My husband put a mug in the microwave and walked away. I was in the bedroom when I smelled smoked. When I came out it was on fire and the whole place was filled with smoke.

September 15, 2009 Flag

The entire inside of my microwave oven is discolored with some scorch stains.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesSeptember 19, 2012
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
microwave
Cleaning a Microwave
Removing Burnt Popcorn Smell and Stains from a Microwave
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:24:42 AM on 10.0.2.218 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.