Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

Using too high a power setting or starting to heat your food and walking away, sometimes results in a burn marks in your microwave. This is a guide about cleaning a burnt microwave.

January 29, 2017 Flag

Cleaning solution being sprayed into a microwave.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cleaning products used in a microwave can leave stains and odors, if the oven is inadvertently used prior to rinsing them off. This is a guide about cleaning chemicals burnt into microwave.

June 24, 2013 Flag

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Vinegar and lemons didn't really help. Neither did the coffee. A Hot Pocket burnt to charcoal as was the plate.

On hearing the suggestions to cook food, I popped four bags of popcorn and right now anyway, that's the predominant smell. I am also perking coffee on the stove below. The house now smells like popcorn and coffee, far better than burnt charcoal. I'm going to continue to pop popcorn and get some bacon to cook. Also I used an erase away pad on the yellowed interior. It is almost perfect. I will get Simple Green. Thanks again.

By betray

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 16, 2013 Flag

I was heating a dry towel in my microwave and the towel burnt and left burn marks on the inside of the microwave. I put baking soda and vinegar inside to take away the odor. It doesn't have an odor unless I have something something in for longer than 5 minutes, then the microwave has that burnt smell. I'm sure it's because I can't get the burnt marks off. I've tried a baking soda paste and even a soapy Brillo pad, but I just can't get the stains off. Is there anything short of buying a new microwave that someone could suggest?

By Nancy W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We had a burn mark in our new microwave due to a small metal tie around a package of frozen hamburger rolls. We tried all the products we learned on the internet. Nothing worked. I then remembered the Quixx scratch remover I had bought for a scratch on our car. I followed the directions and it really removed the burn mark and all the discoloration. We were amazed.

March 4, 2014 Flag

I heated up a microwaveable bean bag (the kind you put around your neck, or on your feet), for too long and it burnt to black char. The microwave was filled with smoke. Is the burnt beanbag toxic? And will I be able to cook food in it again safely?

By Suzi J.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 19, 2014 Flag

Help please. Can anyone let me know how to get a mark from a roasting bag off my stainless steel microwave oven? I hope you can help. Thank you.

By Charles

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 13, 2013 Flag

My son cooked noodles in the microwave, but didn't add water so on cooking they caught fire and have left a burnt yellow looking colour to the inside.

By Julie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 26, 2010 Flag

How do I clean a burnt microwave? There is a brown and yellowish stain on the surface. Thank you.

By hui zhi from Malaysia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 15, 2011 Flag

We were microwaving baked potatoes and they burned and left black on the inside of the microwave which can't just be wiped off. Any suggestions?

By Ann Marie

Answers:

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

Have you tried steaming it? Put a cup of water in the microwave and zap if for about a minute. Don't open it for a while and the steam may soften the marks for you. Then hopefully it will was off easier. (12/19/2010)

By Saskatoon Leigh

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

Use a Scotch pad with a little soap and it should clean right up. (12/19/2010)

By cheapbychoice

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 18, 2010 Flag

How do I get the black burnt discoloration out of my microwave? It was a result of my husband burning up a potato in the microwave. I have had some success with "Barkeeper's Friend", but wonder if there is another product besides vinegar/lemon/baking soda, bleach products, Mean Green cleaner, etc. I could use.

By Mommie Wal from Mass., OH

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 2, 2010 Flag

My little sister tried cooking a fish fillet in the microwave. It has a horrible burned smell now and the inside has been turned from white to yellow. We tried the steamed vinegar and lemon juice method, but no cigar. How do we fix this?

By Aliath from Wichita Falls, TX

Answers:

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

Someone on this site recommended crumpled up newspapers for a refrigerator that had a persisted fishy odor. It worked like a charm, but I don't know how. I changed the newspapers for about three days until the smell was gone. The fish smell remained even after I washed my refrigerator down first using baking soda, etc. Nothing but newspapers worked.

Try it for a few days. Don't turn the microwave on; I don't know what would happen.

Also you might try a dish of coffee grains; not already brewed. Cover the disk with waxed paper and see what happens. You might get lucky!

I don't know about the color of your microwave through.

Have you tried baking soda? Maybe put a glass dish of baking soda in the microwave, cover it with waxed paper and warm up the microwave. Maybe you'll get lucky too!

Good luck! (05/05/2010)

By metroplex

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

Set charcoal briquettes on the inside and close for 24 hours. Set salt that has been sprinkled with essential lemon oil inside and let sit for 24 hours. Sprinkle baking soda all over and close and let sit for 24 hours. (05/12/2010)

By Carly34

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

You guys saved me! Microwave is only 6 weeks old and my husband hates it when I make popcorn. I can only sneak it when hes out of town. ;-) Yep I burnt it, badly. Nail polish remover worked great. Lots of dark yellow liquid just wiped away.

Then I tried the 2 tablespoons of ground coffee in 1/2 H2O.
It didn't bubble and steam like I expected, but the smell seems to be improving. I'm going to do lemon juice just in case.

Thanks again. (08/19/2010)

By Zinfull

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 3, 2010 Flag

I have a stain in the microwave from a burnt potato where it smoked and caught on fire and burned up black. The walls inside the microwave have turned to another color, like a brown tanish color. This is inside a Sears Kenmore microwave.

Help.

By Norma from Chicago, IL

Answers:

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

I killed a microwave the same way. The question is not can you remove the stain from the microwave, you can't. You basically cooked the plastic until it was overdone, and now it's like a burnt cookie. My dad had a plastics business and I know whereof I speak.

The question is, can you safely use the microwave, or is it dead? I don't know the answer. (02/07/2010)

By PIKKA

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

I used a vinegar, water, and lemon juice spray first then scrubbed the hard to get off spots with a paste of baking soda and water using a toothbrush. It worked pretty well. I then left a bowl of baking soda in the microwave for a few days, that helped with the smell. Good luck. (02/07/2010)

By kffrmw88

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 7, 2010 Flag

How do I clean a burnt microwave?

By Celine from Dublin, Ireland

Answers:

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

If the microwave isn't literally burned up, only has the burnt-food smell, try cleaning it the usual way: that is, put a teacup of water with either dish soap or a slice of lemon, in. Heat it on high for several minutes to allow the water to boil and steam to fill the interior. Let set for a couple of minutes and scrub with a dishrag.

If it's bad, you may need a "scratch pad". The ones I use are stiff and sort of like nylon sandpaper. I guess you could also use a "scrunchy" type, but I personally wouldn't recommend steel wool. Some people prefer lemon, but I just dip a cup of my existing dishwater before I've begun washing the dishes.
Best to you. Erin Go Bragh! (11/21/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

Aha. I just learned what my scrubbie pad is called. Scotch Brite pads, the green ones. (11/21/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

I accidentally hit "potato" on my microwave when popping popcorn. Needless to say it was burned to a crisp and smoking like crazy. My fairly new microwave had a terrible odor. Then I realized candles burn up bad odors. I used the little votive candles. The first one seemed to help so I used another. I think it's working. Be sure not to turn the microwave on while the candle is in there. I even left the door cracked open a little. (12/17/2009)

By merimeri

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

I burnt some chow mein microwave noodles in my microwave really badly, plastic container and all. I used Easy Off Fume Free oven cleaner. I just sprayed it on and left for about 5 minutes then wiped clean with a sponge. Worked the best for the stains. It got a little of the smell too, but I used one part water to one part vinegar and boiled. This really helped with the smell. I'm glad I came to this site. Lots of helpful ideas. I'm really glad I'm not the only one who burns things really badly in microwaves. (01/17/2010)

By littlebpdx

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave of Burnt Popcorn

Remove residue by completely washing out microwave with dish soap and water. Open a full box of baking soda and let it sit overnight. Removes the odors just like it does when sitting the box in a fridge. (02/05/2010)

By conneeconehead

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 26, 2010 Flag

My husband put an aluminum foil pan in the microwave and there was a black burnt spot on the door. Can this be fixed?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 16, 2009 Flag

My husband put a mug in the microwave and walked away. I was in the bedroom when I smelled smoked. When I came out it was on fire and the whole place was filled with smoke.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 15, 2009 Flag

The entire inside of my microwave oven is discolored with some scorch stains.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 11, 2009 Flag

The inside of my microwave got very burnt, a microwave rice cooker burnt to cinders. It is very brown and burnt on the inside. What can I clean it with to get rid of the burnt look?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
A measuring cup with cut up lemons, water and baking soda.
Cleaning a Microwave
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesSeptember 19, 2012
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Cleaning Chemicals Burnt Into Microwave
Removing Burnt Popcorn Smell and Stains from a Microwave
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 20, 2017 at 8:19:13 PM on 10.0.1.138 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.