Browsing: Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

Using too high a power setting or starting to heat your food and walking away, sometimes results in a burn marks in your microwave. This is a guide about cleaning a burnt microwave.

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 16, 2008 Flag

I sprayed the microwave with cleaner, and left it to soak. While it was soaking my husband thought it would be a good idea to use the microwave, and the cleaner has sort of burnt on, and there is a very strong chemical smell that I cannot get rid of. Also the whole inside of the microwave has stained yellow.

I've tried cleaning it with plain water as I'm nervous about adding to the chemical smell. Anyone have any ideas? Especially about the yellow stain.

Joanne from Manchester, England

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I put in some chickpea flour & corriander powder for 3 mins but forgot to check as it had switched off when opened microwave it was smoking & all the inside of microwave is brown & smell so smokey tried bicarbonate soda with lemon in water but not made much difference please help

i have a microwave with a burned smell coming out it how can i get rid of the burned smell

Read More Answers...

March 15, 2011 Flag

How do I clean a microwave oven that had a burnt popcorn melt down? There are lots of yellow areas that look horrible.

By Laurie

There are a few things you can do. A 2 tablespoons of ground coffee in some water and mix it in a bowl ( 1/2-2/3) the way full or use fresh coffee you've already made in a cup put it in the microwave for a few minutes (let it boil over. It will spill clean it. You may need to do this twice but coffee removes Odor. It should work.

But if you don't want the mess of that, get a product called simple green (at Walgreens and most hardware and home improvement stores) spray it, let it sit for a few minutes and wipe clean. Also nail polish remover will get rid of the yellow stains.

Hope that helps!

I wouldn't use acetone around a heat source, that could be very dangerous! To remove odors, put a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in a bowl with a cup or two of water, and let it go on high for about 5 mins. This should help take the smell away. Remove the bowl carefully! Now your oven is nice and moist, and will be easy to wipe down with a bit of vinegar and/or lemon juice. No chemicals, no cost. By the way, a plain bag of popcorn is so much cheaper and healthier, not to mention you can flavor it in so many ways if you do it yourself on the stovetop.

March 16, 2013 Flag

I was heating a dry towel in my microwave and the towel burnt and left burn marks on the inside of the microwave. I put baking soda and vinegar inside to take away the odor. It doesn't have an odor unless I have something something in for longer than 5 minutes, then the microwave has that burnt smell. I'm sure it's because I can't get the burnt marks off. I've tried a baking soda paste and even a soapy Brillo pad, but I just can't get the stains off. Is there anything short of buying a new microwave that someone could suggest?

By Nancy W.

We had a burn mark in our new microwave due to a small metal tie around a package of frozen hamburger rolls. We tried all the products we learned on the internet. Nothing worked. I then remembered the Quixx scratch remover I had bought for a scratch on our car. I followed the directions and it really removed the burn mark and all the discoloration. We were amazed.

June 24, 2013 Flag

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Vinegar and lemons didn't really help. Neither did the coffee. A Hot Pocket burnt to charcoal as was the plate.

On hearing the suggestions to cook food, I popped four bags of popcorn and right now anyway, that's the predominant smell. I am also perking coffee on the stove below. The house now smells like popcorn and coffee, far better than burnt charcoal. I'm going to continue to pop popcorn and get some bacon to cook. Also I used an erase away pad on the yellowed interior. It is almost perfect. I will get Simple Green. Thanks again.

By betray

October 13, 2000 Flag

I burned popcorn in my microwave and the inside is now stained yellow. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this out?

Laurie

Acetone will take care of the yellow stain.

March 15, 2011 Flag

We were microwaving baked potatoes and they burned and left black on the inside of the microwave which can't just be wiped off. Any suggestions?

By Ann Marie

Answers:

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

Have you tried steaming it? Put a cup of water in the microwave and zap if for about a minute. Don't open it for a while and the steam may soften the marks for you. Then hopefully it will was off easier. (12/19/2010)

By Saskatoon Leigh

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

Use a Scotch pad with a little soap and it should clean right up. (12/19/2010)

By cheapbychoice

December 18, 2010 Flag

How do I get the black burnt discoloration out of my microwave? It was a result of my husband burning up a potato in the microwave. I have had some success with "Barkeeper's Friend", but wonder if there is another product besides vinegar/lemon/baking soda, bleach products, Mean Green cleaner, etc. I could use.

By Mommie Wal from Mass., OH

November 2, 2010 Flag

My little sister tried cooking a fish fillet in the microwave. It has a horrible burned smell now and the inside has been turned from white to yellow. We tried the steamed vinegar and lemon juice method, but no cigar. How do we fix this?

By Aliath from Wichita Falls, TX

Answers:

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

Someone on this site recommended crumpled up newspapers for a refrigerator that had a persisted fishy odor. It worked like a charm, but I don't know how. I changed the newspapers for about three days until the smell was gone. The fish smell remained even after I washed my refrigerator down first using baking soda, etc. Nothing but newspapers worked.

Try it for a few days. Don't turn the microwave on; I don't know what would happen.

Also you might try a dish of coffee grains; not already brewed. Cover the disk with waxed paper and see what happens. You might get lucky!

I don't know about the color of your microwave through.

Have you tried baking soda? Maybe put a glass dish of baking soda in the microwave, cover it with waxed paper and warm up the microwave. Maybe you'll get lucky too!

Good luck! (05/05/2010)

By metroplex

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

Set charcoal briquettes on the inside and close for 24 hours. Set salt that has been sprinkled with essential lemon oil inside and let sit for 24 hours. Sprinkle baking soda all over and close and let sit for 24 hours. (05/12/2010)

By Carly34

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

You guys saved me! Microwave is only 6 weeks old and my husband hates it when I make popcorn. I can only sneak it when hes out of town. ;-) Yep I burnt it, badly. Nail polish remover worked great. Lots of dark yellow liquid just wiped away.

Then I tried the 2 tablespoons of ground coffee in 1/2 H2O.
It didn't bubble and steam like I expected, but the smell seems to be improving. I'm going to do lemon juice just in case.

Thanks again. (08/19/2010)

By Zinfull

May 3, 2010 Flag

I have a stain in the microwave from a burnt potato where it smoked and caught on fire and burned up black. The walls inside the microwave have turned to another color, like a brown tanish color. This is inside a Sears Kenmore microwave.

Help.

By Norma from Chicago, IL

Answers:

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

I killed a microwave the same way. The question is not can you remove the stain from the microwave, you can't. You basically cooked the plastic until it was overdone, and now it's like a burnt cookie. My dad had a plastics business and I know whereof I speak.

The question is, can you safely use the microwave, or is it dead? I don't know the answer. (02/07/2010)

By PIKKA

Cleaning a Burnt Microwave

I used a vinegar, water, and lemon juice spray first then scrubbed the hard to get off spots with a paste of baking soda and water using a toothbrush. It worked pretty well. I then left a bowl of baking soda in the microwave for a few days, that helped with the smell. Good luck. (02/07/2010)

By kffrmw88

February 7, 2010 Flag

How do I clean a burnt microwave?

January 26, 2010 Flag

My husband put an aluminum foil pan in the microwave and there was a black burnt spot on the door. Can this be fixed?

November 16, 2009 Flag

My husband put a mug in the microwave and walked away. I was in the bedroom when I smelled smoked. When I came out it was on fire and the whole place was filled with smoke.

September 15, 2009 Flag

The entire inside of my microwave oven is discolored with some scorch stains.

June 11, 2009 Flag

The inside of my microwave got very burnt, a microwave rice cooker burnt to cinders. It is very brown and burnt on the inside. What can I clean it with to get rid of the burnt look?

June 4, 2007 Flag

Did you leave that microwave popcorn in there too long? Do you have a brown, yucky mess? I did too!

January 28, 2003 Flag

My son tried to burn up my Microwave the other day with microwave popcorn. It has been almost 1 month and I still can't get the smell out of my microwave.

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesSeptember 19, 2012
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
microwave
Cleaning a Microwave
Removing Burnt Popcorn Smell and Stains from a Microwave
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 10:34:05 AM on 10.0.0.111 in 890 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.