Leftover Steak Recipes

Several steaks on the grill.

Having steak left after a meal can be the start of another delicious meal. This page contains leftover steak recipes.

Solutions: Leftover Steak Recipes

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Easy Leftover Steak Dinner

If you make steak and have any left, here is a recipe we made up and thought you might like it.

You can do this with any kind of steak and make steak sandwiches with mozzarella cheese and mushrooms. Add green peppers for a pepper steak. We just love it plain, it is really is good that way also. Add some fries, a salad. It really is a reasonable dinner and it helps to use up anything extra.

Cut leftover steak into strips. Then melt 1/2 stick butter in skillet. Add 1/2 tsp. garlic salt (or more depending on your taste) and 1 Tbsp. parsley. Mix a little. Add steak and cook for 3 minutes on each side.

Hope you enjoy this as much as we do!

By Darlene from Fairview, PA

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Leftover Steak Recipes.

Question: What Do I Make With Leftover Steak?

I have about 3 nice pieces of steak left over and would like to make something with them, any suggestions?

By Pat from Dayton, OH

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Best Answers

By OliveOyl 01/28/2010

Fajitas would be great or add to fried rice. Slice it thin, heat up in BBQ sauce and make a sandwich on a crusty roll. Or make an openfaced beef sandwich using a jar of beef gravy and mashed potatoes. It would be good in a chef's salad. Now I'm getting hungry!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Donna J. Cole [2] 01/30/2010

Cut in small pieces and brown in skillet. Add a chopped onion, a chopped green pepper and about 3 stalks of chopped celery. Add one can tomatoes and garlic and salt to taste. Simmer till vegs are tender. It may require another can of tomatoes or some water to keep it liquid. Serve over mashed potatoes. This is a recipe from my aunt's restaurant. We called it Swiss Steak.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Leslie Textor [9] 01/30/2010

Steak salad. It it's not cooked I slice it into strips, season it with salt and either garlic or cajun seasoning, fry it quickly in a frying pan. Total time - about 5 minutes.

Serve over lettuce, cucumbers, tomato. Sprinkle with cheese. Add a little garlic bread and you're in heaven.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By 'Miss' Bonnie [10] 11/19/2010

Indian or Japanese or Thai curry, or any other nationalities' curries:

Cut up steak into tiny strips. Saute' in small amount of olive oil on low to medium heat setting, so it doesn't burn.

Add whatever curry you're up for a pre-mixed name brand spice found in a regular grocery store, or venture into Asian or Indian markets to locate native spices.

If you've never had curry, create your own by cutting up your own fresh, raw garlic, ginger, powdered turmeric, some chopped red peppers, and so on according to your preferences. Some countries' curries are made from a combination of 17 spices. No salt is necessary. Diagonally cut carrots, celery, green pepper, onion, and cabbage. Put your favorite veggies in one at a time, hardest, root vegetables in first, to lighter ones last. Add 3/4 cup hot water. Cover. Turn heat down to simmer. Make favorite rice while curry flavors mix together and veggies cook to taste.
Serve dish over the rice.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Leftover Steak Recipes

What to do with leftover steak? I'm clueless, and I definitely do not want to throw it away.

Thank you.

By Kathy54 from Cincinnati, OH

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Best Answer

I started making this when I was in my early 20's and it's about the only way I use leftover steak now. Cut the steak into bite sized cubes and peel and slice or dice the amount of potatoes to the amount of steak accordingly. Fry the potatoes in vegetable oil in a skillet sprinkling with garlic salt to taste.

Cook the potatoes until just golden, drain the oil, add the beef cubes and stir all until steak is heated through adding more garlic salt to taste if desired. It's quick, tasty and easy. I don't usually use ketchup (except to make cocktail sauce) but it certainly is tasty as a condiment for this dish :-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: What Do I Make With Leftover Steak?

Any good ideas how to use up some leftover cooked steak. We don't especially like it just warmed over. I just wondered if I could use in a recipe.

Thanks much.

Debbie52 from IL

You could cut it up in chunks and use it in beef Stroganoff, which is beef with a cream sauce with some wine. Similarly you could make a beef borginion, which is a beef stew in red wine.

Steak Tacos

We use ours for steak tacos and burritos.

By imaqt1962

Stir Fry

Stir Fry is one idea, thinly slice steak and follow any stir fry recipe using the steak for meat. Beef fried rice also a good stand by. And you can use up veggies from the refrigerator. Slice the streak and use in Hamburger Helper type recipe for beef noodle stroganoff or make beef Rice a Roni and add steak. When you add the water to the rice it makes the streak moist and adds extra flavor to the rice. Throw a salad in or extra veggies and you have extra use of the steak. Same goes for Ramen noddles, quick easy and saves waste and money.

By DPool from Memphis

Cheese Steak Sub

You can also use it in a cheese steak sub. Just add some onions and a little Cheese Whiz with thin sliced steak and top as you like in a sub bun.

By Connie from Canada

I think fajitas would be great. I think I'd slice the steak thinly and heat it in taco sauce, then put it in the tortilla with cooked onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc.

By Sharon from FL

Beef Stew

Beef stew for two. Add some veggies; carrots, celery, a small onion, a potato, and 1/2 cup of peas and some beef broth. Cook until all is tender and thicken with some cornstarch. You can also chip up the meat, add a carrot and a small diced onion and saute until all is tender and you have hash. Both are a great way to use left over steak or roast beef.

By Rasta

Cut it up in chunks, put in freezer bag, and freeze until you make a pot of soup.

By Madeline

I like to slice such things (or maybe roast chicken, etc) into strips, then throw them on the griddle with some butter, mushrooms, and onions. Fry that up a bit, then load it onto a tortilla and smother with cheese. Fold the tortilla in half, then cook a bit on both sides until the cheese melts, cut into wedges and dip into ranch dressing or salsa. Fresh cilantro makes a great addition to the "leftover" quesadillas and these make great quick kid chow, too.

By Gina

When we have leftovers of steak, we usually have a baked potato left also. For a wonderful breakfast or brunch, put a little olive oil in skillet with some diced onions. Dice up the refrigerated baked potatoes and steak and add to the skillet after the onions begin to cook adding a little seasoning and just stir fry until everything has browned a little. Serve with some eggs on the side and you have a great meal.

By grammyjoan

Steak Salad

You could cut it into thin strips, heat it briefly and throw it on top of a salad, which will make it more of a filling meal.

By Claudia

I always make hash out of left over beef. I coarsely grind steak in blender, grate the left over potatoes, and chop up a large onion. Put in frying pan to cook, and add some left over gravy if available or use some beef broth. Add salt and pepper, and always add some Worcestershire sauce. Stir occasionally and heat until flavors are well blended. The Worcestershire adds so much to it.

By WIsgal

Add to Mac and Cheese

I toss thin slices into mac and cheese.

By kimhis

I chop mine in the mini chopper and make gravy. Put the steak in gravy and pour over biscuit.

By Eve

French Dip Sandwiches

And don't forget slicing it thin, warming it in beef broth with thin-sliced sauted onions. Just put the beef and onions on toasted bread and serve with a cup of the broth for french-dip sandwiches. (This also disguises if the steak got a bit dry in the fridge.) Yum.

By kadishiraven