Help Filling Lotion Pump Bottle

Anyone have any hints on pouring hand/body lotion into ceramic lotion pump jars? Usually the lotion is too thick to just pour in, and I always make a mess. I have some really cute bottles, that I would like to fill with different lotions. I have tried adding baby oil to thin it out, but it didn't work, and eventually separated from the hand lotion.

Rose S. from Malvern, PA

Pour the lotion into the bottle through a funnel. Use a knife with a long, narrow blade to push the lotion through the funnel.

Put your lotion bottle in the microwave for about half a minute first (or if you don't have a microwave, put it in a pan of hot water). The heat will thin it a bit and make it easy to pour. I do this all the time.

I agree with "perfumed fan", it works for me. You can even find smaller funnels at the dollar stores, that's what I use on some of the smaller bottles. I believe they came in a 3 pack of different sizes.

Just a thought, but how about using an icing bag? You may be able to get the lotion into the bag much easier than the bottle and then squeeze it into the pump bottle like you would icing. Hope you find something that works for you. I know what it's like to have something beautiful that you just love but can't find a way to use it!

Yep--heating it works! I've made homemade lotions and baby butt stuff, and when it's nice and warm, it flows!

I make my own lotions and use the Wilton Cake Decorating Icing bags to fill my bottles. VERY easy and no mess!

God Bless!

Sheila in Titusville, FL

Gosh, what great ideas...thank you everyone. Love the idea of the icing bag and I will definitely try heating it first.

When I have that problem all I do is put a plastic funnel which fits the opening & pour in lotion

When one bottel of lotion gets low, I set it aside and open a new one. After about a week of use with the new bottel, I add a little, just a little olive oil to the old bottel,shake it up well to mix, then put the two bottels together, using duct tape. Make sure you prope it well so it won't fall over. then the next day I remove the empty and the duct tape and throw them away - now I have a full bottel again - have been doing this for years - thank goodness for duct tape!!

Just a thought, but why not try using an icing bag to fill your bottle with lotion? It may be easier to get the lotion into the icing bag than the bottle then squeeze the lotion into your pump bottle just like decorating a cake. Hope you find something that works for you.

I used to be in business making facial creams, body lotions, and medicated lotions. We did this commecially (on a small scale) and we used a piston filler to fill our bottles. We used the cleveland equipment LGGZ-250 piston filler and it worked great for our applicatoin. As far as thining the lotion out to fill into jars, I would not recommend this if you are selling the product. In order to mix oil and water, you will need a surffactant. While there will be surffactant in the lotion already, it will already be blended. Also you start get ratios off when you start thinning, so you may not end up with the same shelf life as you started with. Just a couple of things to think about....hope this helps any people who are looking into starting up a skin care business :)

If you are selling you lotion, and production picks up and you need to fill quicker, you should look into a piston filler. I used to run a business making lotions and creams that we would sell commercially. We used the Cleveland Equipment LGGZ-250 piston filler to fill our products and it worked great. AS far as thinning out your lotion, just be aware that the oil and water in lotion is held together by a surfactant, and if you get the rations off, the lotion will separate. Also, the shelf life can suffer from "thinning". Hope this helps :)

Put your lotion into a plastic storage bag. Cut off a corner and squeeze the lotion into your dispenser. Wipe your hands with the bag to moisturize them for days afterward. I just did this a few weeks ago. Worked great and easy clean up.

I do so many of the things mentioned myself. Putting lotion in the sun or warm spot helps it flow into the dispenser. I use a sandwich bag. Pour it into the bag then cut corner off bag, making it really easy to not make a mess. I do this each time I refill mine in bath and at kitchen sink.

I watch for sales on refills,if great price I stock up. Don't worry about adding a different brand of soap to what is in there. All works great. I also add a bit of hand lotion to mine, helps my hands from drying out.If you buy the ones that advertise having lotion the cost is so much higher. Chances are if you look usually the lotion is way under amount of water. Adding my own, I can decide how much and what type of lotion I want.

Saving Money on Toiletries
Saving Money on Toiletries
Pump Bottle
Reusing Pump Bottles
lotion bottle
Getting All the Lotion Out of a Bottle
Skin Lotion
Finding Water Based Skin Lotion
🎉
🎄