Use Cream of Chicken Soup to Thicken Broth

When making chicken and noodles, I use a can of cream of chicken soup to the broth. I also use cream of chicken soup in my dressing, chicken and dumplings, anything using the chicken broth. It make it have body and thickening. I used this very often and my family and friends want to know what my secret is.

Hope it will help.

By Pat from Harlem, GA

I made Chicken and Noodles the other day and used Cream of Broccoli soup to thicken the broth. It really added to the taste and we all loved it!

Thanks for the tip. I made chicken and dumplins today and added a can of cream of chicken. I think they are the best I've ever made! It really added to the flavor. YUM!

I'm a novice cook & love chicken & dumplings. Please reply with step by step recipe of your chicken & dumplings with the added cream of chicken soup. Thanks, appreciate it. Evie

I did somewhat the same thing yesterday. I had leftover chicken (that I cooked a little too dry) and leftover brown rice. I added some chicken broth and a can of creamed broccoli. Made a really good soup.

I am going to try that tonight. Thanks.

What a great idea and one of those "why didn't I think of that!" things. I always just use flour and that doesn't add any taste! I'll try it asap.

HI, considering my age and when my sisters and I began to cook, I'd say at least the last 40 years we used canned creamed soups as a cheat base for a lot of things. Because of the calories, salt and cost, I have learned to adjust, so don't use the whole can. Also, you can buy the large sized generic brand of creamed soups, measure out what you will be needing in your recipes and freeze it. Pops out of the plastic bag in to the broth, etc or for hot dishes, do a slight thaw in the microwave.

Best to turn out the frozen onto a plate or dish, in order not to leave any thawed into the bag.

My sister pretty much uses the C0C without a lot more than a couple cans of water for her soup base. I make my own stock and use only 1/2 can mixed with stock.

This is not only great in soup, but my escalloped potatoes get a 1/2 can in it as well to make a smooth base. As children we were taught to open the can, add 2 cans water, make your dumplings or noodles, drop them in. Even tho you can find noodles in the frozen foods at the grocery, I still make my own noodles to drop into any soups.

I also add a touch of celery seed, sage, poultry season and rosemary. This helps eliminate alot of salt.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsJanuary 16, 2009
A bowl of fresh vegetable soup.
Making Vegetable Broth
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
broth based mushroom soup
Mushroom Soup Recipes
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume