Making Chicken Soup

Category Chicken

Tips and recipes for making homemade chicken soup, from the ThriftyFun community. Post your own ideas here.

Read More or Comment...

joesgirl
Top Comment

When making homemade chicken soup I start out by covering the chicken with cold water and bringing it to a boil. Then I put it on simmer for about 1 hour. I line a colander with a clean white cloth (which I have wet with water and rung out to help the cloth "stick" to the colander).

I then pour the broth into the cloth that is lining the colander. This catches any fat and makes a more calorie conscious soup base. I then remove the chicken, let it cool, cut the chicken into small pieces and return to the soup pot. Then add the low-fat soup broth. Then add whatever veggies and seasonings you like.

Top Comment

Whenever I make a whole chicken or when we get a rotisseree chicken .. I save whatever we don't eat and save and freeze the carcass. When I have a couple of leftover chickens I "brown" the bones and toss in a large crockpot with carrots, onions, garlic and whatever dried spices I feel like that day or are getting old in the cupboard and water and let cook on low overnight.

I then strain through cheesecloth and have a wonderful roasted chicken stock. Let cool and place in freezer bags .. defrost and add leftovers, veggies, chicken, turkey, pasta just about anything for a quick dinner. I also do the same thing with turkey after Thanksgiving!

Good Luck!

By Joan in CT (Guest Post)
Top Comment

When I make a chicken soup from scratch, I make sure the chicken is just covered with water. Too much water will leech out the chicken flavor and weaken the broth. To the water I add 2 or 3 Wyler's solid chicken boullion cubes which enhances the flavor very nicely. I've tried other brands boullion cubes, but the flavor I like is missing. To get rid of the fat I use a four cup plastic measuring cup with a spout on the bottom from which I pour the broth into another container while the fat rises to the top.

When all the broth is out I dispose of the fat. Much easier and less messy than the cheesecloth method. If using rice, I cook and store the rice separately as it would absorb too much of the broth if mixed in. Noodles do not seem to do that, and they taste so good if served the next day because they are flavored by the broth they set in.

By debbie (Guest Post)

When I was in college I worked in a kosher jewish deli. The mensch added diced green pepper to the soup. I had never had this before but it added a nice fresh mild bite to the soup.

I am making homemade chicken soup in a stock pot that takes 24 cups of water. I had to take 8 cups out to fit the whole chicken in, plus carrots, parsley, parsnips, onions, celery.

How much powdered chicken bouillon should I add if 1 tsp of powdered equals 1 cup of chicken soup? The bones and skin come off after cooking.

Answers

Best Answer

I usually use 2 tsp for 6 quarts. I would use 3-4 tsp for your soup.

Best Answer

Since bouillon powder/cubes tend to be very salty, I believe that I would start with 3 or 4 (as Judy suggested) and add another if taste tests are not salty enough as you can always add more but difficult to correct if too salty.

It is difficult to say for sure as you may have a pot full of chicken and veges but very little liquid so try to add a little at a time. Also, food tends to taste saltier after it has sit or rested for a while.

Best Answer

When I make chicken soup with a whole chicken, I don't use any bouillon at all. It's basically dehydrated broth and you are making that with the chicken already.

I usually cook the soup down for a long time, remove the bones and allow the strained liquid to sit in the fridge so that I can remove the fat layer from the top after it cools. Then I add in my veggies, my broth and the chicken meat I removed from the bone and cook it down. I adjust the seasonings with salt or even a splash vinegar if it is too bland.

Good luck and let us know how your soup turns out.

So I am confused (doesn't take much...sorry).

If you are using the bones and meat and vegetables to make the stock, what is the need for the bouillon? I guess if there wasn't enough meat and skin and it tasted "weak", you may want to add two-three cups of water and a teaspoon of bouillon for added flavor for each cup, BUT, bouillon is SO, SO, SO salty, that I suggest you add a cup, taste test it, and then decide if you need more.

Love your choice of parsnips!! They give the soup an amazing sweetness!! So do turnips! Just like my grandma used to make many moons ago!! YUM!!

Viewing This Page
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups ChickenJune 5, 2019
🌻
😷
😎
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Chicken-Soup.html