ChickenSoups

Using Powdered Bouillon to Make Chicken Soup

I am making homemade chicken soup in a stock pot that takes 24 cups of water. I had to take 8 cups out to fit the whole chicken in, plus carrots, parsley, parsnips, onions, celery. How much powdered chicken bouillon should I add if 1 tsp of powdered equals 1 cup of chicken soup? The bones and skin come off after cooking.

I usually use 2 tsp for 6 quarts. I would use 3-4 tsp for your soup.

Since bouillon powder/cubes tend to be very salty, I believe that I would start with 3 or 4 (as Judy suggested) and add another if taste tests are not salty enough as you can always add more but difficult to correct if too salty.

It is difficult to say for sure as you may have a pot full of chicken and veges but very little liquid so try to add a little at a time. Also, food tends to taste saltier after it has sit or rested for a while.

When I make chicken soup with a whole chicken, I don't use any bouillon at all. It's basically dehydrated broth and you are making that with the chicken already.

I usually cook the soup down for a long time, remove the bones and allow the strained liquid to sit in the fridge so that I can remove the fat layer from the top after it cools. Then I add in my veggies, my broth and the chicken meat I removed from the bone and cook it down. I adjust the seasonings with salt or even a splash vinegar if it is too bland.

Good luck and let us know how your soup turns out.

So I am confused (doesn't take much...sorry).

If you are using the bones and meat and vegetables to make the stock, what is the need for the bouillon? I guess if there wasn't enough meat and skin and it tasted "weak", you may want to add two-three cups of water and a teaspoon of bouillon for added flavor for each cup, BUT, bouillon is SO, SO, SO salty, that I suggest you add a cup, taste test it, and then decide if you need more.

Love your choice of parsnips!! They give the soup an amazing sweetness!! So do turnips! Just like my grandma used to make many moons ago!! YUM!!