Getting Rid of "No See Ums"

My daughter just moved to South Carolina. How do they stop the "No See Um" bugs from biting?

By copygail from SC

I just read that a small amount of mouth wash & water sprayed on arms, legs, etc. will keep the bugs away.

Reader's Digest's book "5-Minute Fixes" says to trap them: using a quart-sized jar, deposit some banana peel or apple or other fruit into the bottom of the jar. Make a paper funnel where the small end has about a 1/2-inch opening, and the large end so it will fit the top of the jar. Insert funnel, small end inside the jar, wide end completely closing off the mouth of the jar.

No-see-ums should fly in, lay eggs, and won't be able to get back out. Every few days, fill jar with hot tap water to kill flies and larvae. Dispose of the water & bugs. Then start over with new fruit and a new funnel.

I'm trying it today because I have them in the house (I have an indoor herb garden, and they're hanging out in there). I think I'm going to have to get rid of the herb garden, as no-see-ums attach to fruit and plants. Also, if you store fruit on the counter or table, consider storing it in the fridge, and be sure your trash has a tight-fitting lid.

Victoria's Secret Vanilla Lace body mist. I know it's not the most frugal, but it works wonders and it doesn't leave you smelling like a hazmat accident. Other vanilla scented body mists might work too, I've not tried them tho. We discovered this while working construction. Even the most manly man was borrowing it when they noticed they were being carried away and I wasn't.

My mum and dad have this problem in Victoria Australia. I have been doing a fair bit of reading on the no see um. They are attracted to water, so if you have a body of water (even as small as a bucket) or live by a creek or lake or coastal they can breed. They also love gutters as mulch or soil that is dense can also be a healthy breeding spot for them. It is suggested to find the nest and get rid of it otherwise they will return. Use an insecticide and use mint sprays and oils to deter. They do not like mint or lemongrass. Hope this info helps. I know how stressful it has been for my folks, not even feeling comfy in your own home and embarrassed when people visit.

Been plagued by these little critters for a few years now, .....and like everyone else found that normal prevention mesh/net is useless due to their size.......so hunted out a DEET free child-friendly product and tested three or four and most were pretty much as 'useful' as mesh/net..........until we tried an amazing product from the Solid Bar Company and been using it on and off for the last two years........it does what it says on the tin....it works and keeps the little beggars at bay and my better half swears it is good on your skin too. Check 'em out at their website on the internet thing... ......recommended.

http://thesolidbarcompany.com/colle ... -bars/products/awesome-bug-repellent

March 3, 2014 Flag

My husband and I have tried everything, just about to rid our house of these mites. You can't see them, but you can feel them. They bite and you feel millions on you at once. They get worse at night. We have to wash our feet every time we come out of the kitchen or bathroom. We can't even sit on the living room furniture. Everything has to be thrown out. I tried pest controls and they could not help. One pest control company sent out someone and they told me they call them "can't see them mites" and they are more common in Texas. He did a fogging that didn't work for more than a day. I use household cleaners and sprays, still no help. I did 6 foggers last week; it only made them angry. We take at 15 to 20 baths a day and I wash covers 3 or more times a day. Please does somebody know how to kill these things? I really don't want to move because these things do follow on your shoes, clothes, hair, belongings, furniture, everything.

By Jenny

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Google "diatomaceous earth". It is a non toxic powder that can be used for all kinds of crawling insects. It works well for fleas, ants, etc. You can order it from Home Depot or other hardware stores. Be sure to ask for the "food grade" type., then you can use it around animals, children, etc. without any ill effects. You just sprinkle it around baseboards, on and under cushions on the couch, and even on the mattress on the bed. Leave it for a couple of days before you vacuum it up to give it a chance to work. We had a flea problem with our cat and this worked better than spraying her with chemicals. I hope it works for you.

"No See Um's" are tiny flying bugs in Alaska and the Yukon. These are more likely mites. This link will help you figure out what they are.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mic ... ;espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Hi, if you have any oak trees nearby they are most certainly the source of the tiny mites, close your windows nearest to the tree or trees, so that they can't gain entry so easily. You can put down sticky paper under the tree to catch them, old newspapers spread with grease, or even lining paper, the best grease is the stuff you put around fruit trees to stop the bugs that climb the trunk to get into the fruit, pin the paper down with stones.

For in house get a steamer and go for it in every room, start at the top of the house and work your way down, steam every nook and cranny, every surface, all of your mattresses and furniture, also steam all of your clothes and when you have done your washing iron everything, lastly get skin so soft oil from avon and spray your pets if you have any, this will stop them being attractive to various biting insects, do the same for yourselves and enjoy a peaceful nights sleep, Honey.x.

June 10, 2011 Flag

Does any one have a remedy to keep gnats off of you, especially the face? They are also referred as no-see-ums! This is needed information for someone in south Georgia. The gnats are very irritating and she needs something to keep them off her. Thanks for your help.

By Billie from Sharpsburg, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it is a problem while sitting around the lawn, try using citronella candles. You can get several metal buckets with citronella candle that lasts a long time at Family Dollar Store. Just place them around where the seating is and light up a few minutes before sitting down. Could hang a few from low tree branches if any are near the sitting location or set them on ledges, table or something that is head high, but not too close to the face. This will help control the majority in advance. You could spray the area with bug repellent before sitting down, but will probably have to repeat often. Remove any sweet smelling fragrances on your person prior to going outdoors.

Gnats do not like the odor of lemon or mint so perhaps your friend could spray herself and the area around where she sits with a mixture of fresh lemon juice and water or a mixture of mint listerine mouthwash and water. Neither are harmful to humans or plants or the environment.

Skin So Soft by Avon is great for all kinds of bugs! I even use it on my grandchildren and rub it on my 2 cats.

Baby Oil

What kind of Avon Skin So Soft Oil? The Original (the blue one) or the pink one?

June 25, 2013 Flag

Where can I buy the spray in Seneca, South Carolina?

By B.K. from Seneca, SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm not sure about spray for people, but baby oil can work to keep them from biting but it needs to be kind of a generous amount-oily ...yucky. There is that place in Greer (I think that is where the store is located) but they sell online also. Professional strength products, allegedly. I need to look them up again, but you may know what I'm talking about; they had commercials on last year (I've not watched local in months, not sure if they are still on). Hope you find relief. Good luck from Woodruff, SC.

June 2, 2009 Flag

I have these "no see ums" in my home and they bite. They fly and are almost impossible to see. I do see them but they disappear fast. I had the pest control people in and they sprayed the floor but that has not worked. These flying monsters don't affect my indoor cats. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cate from Knoxville, TN

Answers:

Getting Rid of "No See Ums"

I recently posted a suggestion for fruit flies, I wonder if the idea will work for your problem.

I placed a piece of cantaloupe in a glass jar, put a funnel on top, spout down and taped it around with masking tape to seal the funnel to the top of the jar. I did this for a few days, and the fruit flies seem to be gone. The fruit flies can fly in but they can't fly out. I took the jar outside far from the house and let them go. Most of them were dead already.

My daughter's boyfriend suggested putting apple cider in a jar, topping it with plastic wrap, and rubber band it tightly so the fruit flies can't get out. Using a toothpick, punch some holes in the top. I did try this method but there was only one fruit fly inside, the rest of them were in the other jar with the funnel.

If I ever have that problem again, I am going to try cider vinegar with the funnel. If it doesn't work, I'm going to add a piece of fruit to the vinegar. (09/11/2007)

By Laura

Getting Rid of "No See Ums"

I live in a hot country. I think I know what you're talking about. The only remedy I find that works is one of those cheap mosquito repellent machines that you put those little blue mats in. They're the only thing that works for me and I've tried all sorts. (09/12/2007)

By cett

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
A woman scratching at bug bites.
Keeping No-See-Ums from Biting
Home and Garden Pest Control BugsJune 2, 2009
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
iTunes icon on a phone
Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
🎉
🎄