Getting Rid of No See Ums

Category Gnats
These tiny biting gnats are difficult to see even in the swarms in which they usually travel. There are products and techniques used to get rid of them discussed on this page. This is a guide about getting rid of no see ums.

Anyone here succeded so far in getting rid of those pesky noseeums from your house? I've tried many remedies and traps, but none has made a breakthough so far in the assault of a massive number of annoying bugs. Has anyone been successful in wiping them out from their homes? Because I can't seem to no matter what I do.

By Tiffany T

Best Answer

Are you talking about fruit flies? No-see-ums are a catchall name for many different kinds of small flies, many of which bite. Fruit flies are the most common tiny fly in homes, and you get them in rotten fruit, in pop cans and juice boxes, in potted plants, in compost pails, in garbage cans, etc. I have never found traps to be effective. The best way to keep them under control is to get rid of all the places that they reproduce. Clean up your garbage containers. Don't keep pop bottles, juice boxes, etc around - or if you do keep them for recycling, rinse them out before putting them in your containers. You may have to toss potted plants if they are in the soil, or, just spray them with an insecticide.

Best Answer

When I bought some new potting soil and repotted about 6 plants, I thought I was going to die from all the gnats! What worked for me (but it took 5 weeks because there was so many) was those sticky fly cylinders laying across the pots. Those caught many newly hatched gnats.

Then shallow little glass bowls of regular cooking oil. The adults would go in and not be able to fly off.

These two methods caught hundreds a day! Now, I bought some play sand (bleached) at the hardware and put 1/2 inch on top of plants. That is supposed to work. I will see when I ever transplant again.

Air conditioning is the only effective way - they do not like the cold !!!

Does any one have a remedy to keep gnats off of you, especially the face? They are also referred as no-see-ums! This is needed information for someone in south Georgia. The gnats are very irritating and she needs something to keep them off her. Thanks for your help.

By Billie from Sharpsburg, GA

Best Answer

If it is a problem while sitting around the lawn, try using citronella candles. You can get several metal buckets with citronella candle that lasts a long time at Family Dollar Store. Just place them around where the seating is and light up a few minutes before sitting down. Could hang a few from low tree branches if any are near the sitting location or set them on ledges, table or something that is head high, but not too close to the face. This will help control the majority in advance.

You could spray the area with bug repellent before sitting down, but will probably have to repeat often. Remove any sweet smelling fragrances on your person prior to going outdoors.

Best Answer

What kind of Avon Skin So Soft Oil? The Original (the blue one) or the pink one?

Anonymous

Gnats do not like the odor of lemon or mint so perhaps your friend could spray herself and the area around where she sits with a mixture of fresh lemon juice and water or a mixture of mint listerine mouthwash and water. Neither are harmful to humans or plants or the environment.

Skin So Soft by Avon is great for all kinds of bugs! I even use it on my grandchildren and rub it on my 2 cats.

Anonymous

Baby Oil

www.NaturalGinesis.com Mint Spray + Keen Green for bathing n cleaning. All natural not poisonous, kills all kinds of bugs and mites. U need nothing else, can clean the whole house, n even laundry. Saving me. I have skin grafts. Very gentle non drying of my skin.I would have given up if it weren't 4 this company n these products. Can't say enough good. Only bite at night and love cotton live in it.maxi pads,pee pads 4 my dog, pillows.

My daughter just moved to South Carolina. How do they stop the "No See Um" bugs from biting?

By copygail from SC

Best Answer

Reader's Digest's book "5-Minute Fixes" says to trap them: using a quart-sized jar, deposit some banana peel or apple or other fruit into the bottom of the jar. Make a paper funnel where the small end has about a 1/2-inch opening, and the large end so it will fit the top of the jar. Insert funnel, small end inside the jar, wide end completely closing off the mouth of the jar.

No-see-ums should fly in, lay eggs, and won't be able to get back out. Every few days, fill jar with hot tap water to kill flies and larvae. Dispose of the water & bugs. Then start over with new fruit and a new funnel.

I'm trying it today because I have them in the house (I have an indoor herb garden, and they're hanging out in there). I think I'm going to have to get rid of the herb garden, as no-see-ums attach to fruit and plants. Also, if you store fruit on the counter or table, consider storing it in the fridge, and be sure your trash has a tight-fitting lid.

Best Answer

My mum and dad have this problem in Victoria Australia. I have been doing a fair bit of reading on the no see um. They are attracted to water, so if you have a body of water (even as small as a bucket) or live by a creek or lake or coastal they can breed. They also love gutters as mulch or soil that is dense can also be a healthy breeding spot for them. It is suggested to find the nest and get rid of it otherwise they will return. Use an insecticide and use mint sprays and oils to deter. They do not like mint or lemongrass. Hope this info helps. I know how stressful it has been for my folks, not even feeling comfy in your own home and embarrassed when people visit.

I just read that a small amount of mouth wash & water sprayed on arms, legs, etc. will keep the bugs away.

Victoria's Secret Vanilla Lace body mist. I know it's not the most frugal, but it works wonders and it doesn't leave you smelling like a hazmat accident. Other vanilla scented body mists might work too, I've not tried them tho. We discovered this while working construction. Even the most manly man was borrowing it when they noticed they were being carried away and I wasn't.

Been plagued by these little critters for a few years now, .....and like everyone else found that normal prevention mesh/net is useless due to their size.......so hunted out a DEET free child-friendly product and tested three or four and most were pretty much as 'useful' as mesh/net..........until we tried an amazing product from the Solid Bar Company and been using it on and off for the last two years........it does what it says on the tin....it works and keeps the little beggars at bay and my better half swears it is good on your skin too. Check 'em out at their website on the internet thing... ......recommended.

http://thesolid  me-bug-repellent

My husband and I have tried everything, just about to rid our house of these mites. You can't see them, but you can feel them. They bite and you feel millions on you at once. They get worse at night. We have to wash our feet every time we come out of the kitchen or bathroom. We can't even sit on the living room furniture. Everything has to be thrown out. I tried pest controls and they could not help. One pest control company sent out someone and they told me they call them "can't see them mites" and they are more common in Texas. He did a fogging that didn't work for more than a day. I use household cleaners and sprays, still no help. I did 6 foggers last week; it only made them angry. We take at 15 to 20 baths a day and I wash covers 3 or more times a day. Please does somebody know how to kill these things? I really don't want to move because these things do follow on your shoes, clothes, hair, belongings, furniture, everything.

By Jenny

Google "diatomaceous earth". It is a non toxic powder that can be used for all kinds of crawling insects. It works well for fleas, ants, etc. You can order it from Home Depot or other hardware stores. Be sure to ask for the "food grade" type., then you can use it around animals, children, etc. without any ill effects. You just sprinkle it around baseboards, on and under cushions on the couch, and even on the mattress on the bed. Leave it for a couple of days before you vacuum it up to give it a chance to work. We had a flea problem with our cat and this worked better than spraying her with chemicals. I hope it works for you.

"No See Um's" are tiny flying bugs in Alaska and the Yukon. These are more likely mites. This link will help you figure out what they are.

https://www.goo  122&ie=UTF-8

Hi, if you have any oak trees nearby they are most certainly the source of the tiny mites, close your windows nearest to the tree or trees, so that they can't gain entry so easily. You can put down sticky paper under the tree to catch them, old newspapers spread with grease, or even lining paper, the best grease is the stuff you put around fruit trees to stop the bugs that climb the trunk to get into the fruit, pin the paper down with stones.

For in house get a steamer and go for it in every room, start at the top of the house and work your way down, steam every nook and cranny, every surface, all of your mattresses and furniture, also steam all of your clothes and when you have done your washing iron everything, lastly get skin so soft oil from avon and spray your pets if you have any, this will stop them being attractive to various biting insects, do the same for yourselves and enjoy a peaceful nights sleep, Honey.x.

Kleen Green. www.naturalginesis.com

They also have shampoo conditioner and make sure u buy the Mint spray. Its kept me from being comited 2 mental institution. Saved my life.

Mold Spores. U have mold somewhere.

This question is for the person who suggests turning the thermostat down to 62 degrees to kill the no see ums. I have been suffering so much from bites in my house for the past 2 months. Like you, I have tried everything - except bombing. I have a forest filled with oak trees behind my house, which I understand makes it worse.
Why does the cold temperature kill the bugs? Does it kill the eggs also? Does it kill the no see ums that might be on your clothing, bedding, etc.? How do you prevent more from coming inside your house?

I will try this method today. I'll give you feedback as to whether it works for me. Unfortunately I live in Florida where there isn't a freeze during the winter. Thank you so much. If anyone else has suggestions or feedback, please add to this discussion.

In answer to your specific questions about cold and no seeums:

**The insects only lay eggs outside in moist soil, a garden or surrounding vegetation, so a cold house will not affect the eggs.

**No seeums are very small so can crawl through most window and door screening used in homes. You can replace regular screening with very fine screens which will prevent ingress through windows, doors, etc. However, they can fly with you or on you through doors into your house.

**They are most active in the evening so avoid all outside areas in the evenings. Even just quickly opening/closing doors will bring them inside.

**You can bring them inside your house on your clothes so effective and frequent outside bug bombs will help.

**A cold house may slow them down but they revive quickly.

Where can I buy the spray in Seneca, South Carolina?

By B.K. from Seneca, SC

I'm not sure about spray for people, but baby oil can work to keep them from biting but it needs to be kind of a generous amount-oily ...yucky. There is that place in Greer (I think that is where the store is located) but they sell online also. Professional strength products, allegedly. I need to look them up again, but you may know what I'm talking about; they had commercials on last year (I've not watched local in months, not sure if they are still on). Hope you find relief. Good luck from Woodruff, SC.

I have these "no see ums" in my home and they bite. They fly and are almost impossible to see. I do see them but they disappear fast. I had the pest control people in and they sprayed the floor but that has not worked. These flying monsters don't affect my indoor cats. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cate from Knoxville, TN

Answers:

Getting Rid of "No See Ums"

I recently posted a suggestion for fruit flies, I wonder if the idea will work for your problem.

I placed a piece of cantaloupe in a glass jar, put a funnel on top, spout down and taped it around with masking tape to seal the funnel to the top of the jar. I did this for a few days, and the fruit flies seem to be gone. The fruit flies can fly in but they can't fly out. I took the jar outside far from the house and let them go. Most of them were dead already.

My daughter's boyfriend suggested putting apple cider in a jar, topping it with plastic wrap, and rubber band it tightly so the fruit flies can't get out. Using a toothpick, punch some holes in the top. I did try this method but there was only one fruit fly inside, the rest of them were in the other jar with the funnel.

If I ever have that problem again, I am going to try cider vinegar with the funnel. If it doesn't work, I'm going to add a piece of fruit to the vinegar. (09/11/2007)

By Laura

Getting Rid of "No See Ums"

I live in a hot country. I think I know what you're talking about. The only remedy I find that works is one of those cheap mosquito repellent machines that you put those little blue mats in. They're the only thing that works for me and I've tried all sorts. (09/12/2007)

By cett