Gnats in the House

I have fungus gnats (that do bite) and or biting midges, and they are wreaking havoc with biting me and my dog. My carpet was brand new 2 years ago and shampooed frequently and almost dry when finished. The gnats or other insects are also leaving larvae and gooey brown stuff and sticky runny stuff on my things. Everywhere.

What do I do and how do I get rid of them in my house and stop them from biting us? They are all over the place. I am not a dirty person either. My dog gets a bath regularly and is on all preventions. Thanks.

By Barbara from Richmond, VA

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Margie Cattouse 1 12/04/2010

I HAD a gnat problem that was escalating. I used the vinegar & dish soap remedy suggested and I did see a few dead gnats. But I was underwhelmed and really didn't want guest to see or smell the residue. So I went to Home Depot to check out what they had available. I purchased for trial Hot Shot No-Pest Strip, they are not like those ugly fly strips, where you see dead fly corpses, dust and anything stuck on the trap, eww. The strip is placed inside a plastic container with open slants. It can be hung or free standing. I placed one in the kitchen on top of my cabinet in the rear.

Holicowola, it was like the gnats packed up and left town. The efficacy of the strip last for approximately 4 months. I know, I know "Is it safe for my family and me to inhale the toxins?" I'll be on the lookout for any adverse reactions or extra appendages. However, I can't smell anything and the gnats were driving us absolutely crazy plus the embarrassment. It works thoroughly and quickly! May not be everyone's cup o' tea, but just another option that happens to provide relief.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sweet Spring Farmer 1 12/02/2011

Our gnat infestation came courtesy of the 7 cords of firewood we brought into our basement for this winter's heating. Even though the wood had been "drying" outside for almost five months, it had been a wet summer. We used a combination of apple cider vinegar and dish detergent placed throughout the basement and upstairs rooms, fly paper strips, and up close and personal squishing!

What seemed to work best was the fly strips hung in windows, with as many as six strips forming a curtain. (The gnats seem to favor light and would congregate during the day in sunlit windows; at night they'd flock to light bulbs.) Regarding Hot Shot Pest Strips (as with most chemicals): the instructions on the package are clear in their warnings about their danger to all living things and food; just because you can't smell it doesn't mean it's safe! Take the time to pursue pests with safe products.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Here are questions related to Gnats in the House.

Question: Getting Rid of Gnats in the House

We have gnats which are taking over. What is the safest way to get rid of them? They are in our bedroom, as well as the rest of our home, but mainly concentrated in the kitchen and our master bedroom.

By Heather from Smyrna, TN

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By JoesphSultan 1 10/10/2015

I have tried following methods and these work like a charm against gnats:
1. We have used Bleach with luke warm water it works superbly against fungus and other biting gnats.
2. We have also used a manning trap against them and it works.
3. Gnats hate the smell of Cloves, Citrus Fruits, Lavender so you could use them for keeping gnats away.

I have come across a detailed resource that enlists some other methods: http://www.getridoffliesguide.com/h ... -gnats-inside-house-kitchen-outside/

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: Gnats In My Home!

I have gnats lots of gnats in my kitchen it seems like they are coming out of my kitchen sink drain. I clean my kitchen every day. I don't leave dishes with food or standing water in my sink. I have tried ammonia and vegetable oil. It seemed to work for a minute but as soon as I stopped they came back. We only have one plant in the house but the gnats where in the house before the plant. I clean the litter boxes and animal cages twice a day. What am I doing wrong. I have even tried bleach,down all my drains.. If anyone has any advice please let me know.

Thank you,
Andrea from East Windsor, NJ

RE: Gnats In My Home!

To get rid of gnats, put 1/4 inch applecider vinegar in a quart jar, add a squirt of dawn dish soap. The cider attracts the gnats and the soap thickens the top and they cant fly back out. It works. Leave it in the corner of the counter and forget it, untill it gets ugly. It works. (10/27/2006)

By Ariela

RE: Gnats In My Home!

I had the same problem, what worked very well for me was to put a small container (I used a pretty white one the size of a custard cup) filled with 1/4 inch of apple cider vinegar and a couple drops of Dawn dish detergent in it, set it on my window sill over the sink, yes, they like vinegar and go for it but when they go to drink it they get the soap and fall in and die. (10/28/2006)

RE: Gnats In My Home!

You need to spend the $6 or so for Gulf or Hot Shot Pest Strips. Homemade mixes take to long to work and there are always two more gnats to breed. Believe me within 24 hours the gnats are gone. Product works for 4 months. Sincerely, Judith at judyajudy AT yahoo.com (10/28/2006)

By Judith Walker

Archive: Gnats In My Home! How do I get them to leave?

I need these gnats gone! They are driving me crazy and they are nasty! We left for a few days and when we came back they were everywhere and they only thing i can think of where they came from is we left a tomato sitting out while we were gone and it split open. I have gotten rid of all the fresh fruits and vegetables in the house and I have cleaned everything! But they are still here! Please any idea would be great! How do I get rid of them?

RE: Gnats In My Home! How do I get them to leave?

You have taken the first steps in getting rid of the gnats - getting rid of all food. Don't leave dirty dishes in the sink, either. Take a small bowl and pour some vinegar into it, then squirt some dishwashing liquid in it. Leave it on the counter and the gnats will come. You may have to change this out several times a day-depending on how many gnats you "collect". You may have to keep this up until a freeze comes along. I live in W. TX and right now the watermelons are being harvested and that always brings them on-the gnats. Also, be sure to keep the trash emptied. Good luck. (09/10/2004)

By Connie

You may need to clean down the drain on the kitchen sink, I think sometimes they live off the food down there. I would use baking soda and vinegar, after it bubbles for a while, rinse it down and then clean the garbage disposal if you have one by putting down some ice and salt and run the disposal. (09/10/2004)

By tcaruso

I work for a vending company and we have gnat problems in our syrup pop machines in the summer, I find by spraying the overflow bucket with bleach keeps them away, evidently they don't like the fumes! (09/18/2004)

By marroh

Vinegar is made from apples and will not kill gnats it just attracts them. The bleach OR ammonia does work. (10/16/2005)

By Melissa

Archive: Gnats In My Home!

Do gnats come out of the sink drains, if not, where do they come from?

Archive: Gnats In My Home!

Does anyone know how to keep gnats out of the house?

Archive: Gnats In the House

What can I do to get rid of gnats that are in my houseplants, flying all over the house, and getting into our food?

By Karen from Casper, WY

RE: Gnats In My Home!

I have found that gnats can be downed by spraying with hair spray. You can even use a pump and dilute it 1/2 and 1/2 with alcohol. The lacquer seem to stick their wings together. And an added bonus; nothing toxic, so you can use in the kitchen, and with kids and pets. (11/03/2009)

By pamphyila

RE: Gnats In My Home!

I'm assuming you don't want to get rid of your plants. I had this problem a few years ago. An employee at the local nursery told me the only way to get rid of them without harming your plants is to put sticky paper down. I put some strips down at the edges of the pots where the gnats were living. It took a few weeks for it to get rid of all of the gnats, but it really did work. The gnats came back once after that, probably a year later, and I put more paper down and they were gone quickly. (11/05/2009)

By jj007

RE: Gnats In My Home!

I've heard you need to wash your houseplants with dish detergent and water, and you just spray it onto the plant. I hope this works for you. I'd probably want to get rid of the plants and get new ones. (11/06/2009)

By Carol in PA

RE: Gnats In My Home!

I tried a fly strip. The gnats were not attracted to it. I tried the vinegar, with some results. Most of the gnats remained. I finally got out the vacuum cleaner and chased them with the hose attachment. This was highly effective. (11/19/2009)

By krisbf

Archive: Gnats in the House

Is there a home remedy for getting rid of little flies (gnats) around our house?

Archive: Gnats in the House

I would like to know where gnats come from. What causes gnats to come in your house?

Archive: Gnats in the House

I have a gnat problem; in my bedroom. I have not seen any in the kitchen. They come out in the evening when the lights are on, or on my computer.