Getting Rid of Gnats

Category Gnats
Seeing spots zipping past your eyes? It could be the dreaded gnat. These tiny insects multiply rapidly and can become very annoying. This is a guide about getting rid of gnats.

I also have a gnat problem again this year. The only thing that worked for me was to take a 9 oz. or larger glass, make a funnel out of paper (computer or notebook) with a tiny opening at bottom. Make the top (opening for gnat entrance) large enough to fit in the glass and use tape to hold it in place. I found they will find a way out if the bottom funnel hole is too large and or if the top part isn't taped securely around the glass.

Pour enough apple cider vinegar in glass (before adding funnel), to get it as close as possible to bottom of funnel. The smell of vinegar attracts them to the funnel and in they go and can't get out. You'll see them walking around inside the glass trying every way possible to get out. They'll get tired and drown in the apple cider vinegar. Place these where you see them the most, in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, etc. They like moist areas. Remember to redo every couple days. I tried plastic cups, but for some reason, they go to the glass better. Good luck!

By adbdnc from NH

Recently our house has been overrun with gnats. I followed all your suggestions, nothing worked. I finally called an exterminator, he couldn't come but he told us to pour scalding water down every drain in our house and follow it up with bleach.

They said we may have to do it several times before we can see it is effective. We used 2 gallons of scalding hot water for each drain and followed up with a quart of bleach for each drain. I wanted to pass this along cause it is really a problem this year.

Source: This information came from an exterminator.

Gnats and fruit flies love sweet liquids. You don't have to use wine, although they do like it. Add a few drops of dishwashing liquid (only about 3) to wine and slowly stir this makes a film on the surface that the bugs get trapped in.

I noticed I had a small gnat or fruit fly problem a few weeks back. I tried everything. Eventually I gave up and tried to cope with small traps here and there. Then one week I had a can of monster energy drink. I had one sip out of it before about 25 gnats swarmed it and were all over me. They really like Monster...lol. So I put the Monster into a wine bottle added a bit of dish soap, swished it slowly to mix and set it next to the litter box. Caught about 50 in 10 mins. Best of all Monster doesn't seem to rot or stink, so just scoop the bugs out and reuse for bait.

Source: Tried it myself

Everyone knows how annoying gnats can be. Once they are there, it's very hard to get rid of. They nest in damp places, such as sink drains.

If you want to get rid of them pour a couple of tablespoons of white vinegar into a small bowl.

We has recently noticed gnats in the kitchen here and there. I walked into my daughter's room and her closet is infested with gnats, the master bathroom, and main bathroom are the same way just not as bad! I have the apple cider mixture sitting in each room, but it seems like they are getting worse instead of better. Are there any other suggestions for this problem or just continue with the apple cider?

Answers

Best Answer

You mentioned you had the apple cider vinegar but you didn't mention if you dropped the dish washing liquid in. This is essential to break the surface adhesion.

If not, they dive in, fuel up and keep on. If you don't see any dead ones in the bottom, you are missing this key ingredient. They should look like this in a day or two.

Best Answer

Be sure to put a capful of Clorox in your drains at night. They often breed in the wet areas.

Best Answer

If these gnats are fruit flies, you should do a search to see if there is some place that they are reproducing. If you can get rid of that, it will help immensely. (I have NEVER had any luck with those apple cider vinegar or red wine traps. All I ever got was drunken flies. With or without the dish soap.) I would suggest looking at your garbage cans, at recycle bins (fruit flies love the dregs in pop cans and juice boxes), compost pails, spills that you might have overlooked -- like juice, house plants that have been outside, new house plants, rotten forgotten lunches, dirty dishes, etc.

stashed about the house, and sometimes, sewage problems. I would start with your daughter's closet if that seems to be the worse place. Usually there is nothing in a closet to attract flies. If there is nothing, maybe it is some sort of sewage or plumbing problem.

How do you get rid of gnats?

By finis amend

Answers

Best Answer

You can set out a glass of apple cider vinegar, or red wine and they will be drawn to it and drown in the glass.

Best Answer

Yep, she is right. But, to keep the water adhesion down, drop in a few drops of dish washing liquid.
Works every time!

What can I spray or rub on the screen to keeps these gnats from coming into my bedroom?! I don't want a trap that lures them in and then kills them, I want something that repels and keeps them off my screens and out of my room. Please help.

By Nicole S.

Answers

Best Answer

I put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and spray the windows. The spray will kill the knats almost instantly. Using something like this can be an attaction to children so its best to store it where they can't get it. It looks like water in the spray bottle. Also this doesn't get to the root of the knat problem. My mom poured bleach down her drains when knats got in the house.

I noticed that I had gnats flying around in my room, 1 or 2 here and there. Then I saw something on my carpet trim and when I pulled the carpet back a little, I saw that there were at least 80 or more larvae. I assume that they are gnat larvae. Well I used a bleach water mixure and sprayed it on them, but they were still moving. I eventually made sure to kill them all, but I have never seen this before and was wondering what you knew about it and what I can do to prevent it.

Answers

Best Answer

Gnats flying around in homes are usually fungus gnats that lay their eggs in moist plant soil. The larvae you saw were not from fungus gnats. They could have been from silverfish, various beetles, earwigs, etc.

I am having problems with gnats in my basement. I don't know what they are attracted to. I don't have any live pants or food in the basement. They seem to be multiplying. How can I get rid of them?

Mary

Answers

Best Answer

I had that problem. The little buggers were in the drain line from our furnace/central air. Poured bleach down it and no more gnats. Also use the vinegar and dish soap solution to speed it up.

Load More