Removing Label Residue On Bottles

How do I remove label glue from bottles?

By BLC from Elkhart, IN

Best Answer

I usually use WD-40; spray it on, let it sit, peel the label off, wipe any residue with a paper towel, then wash them all in soapy water. Looks like more steps than it is. I have even used it to successfully remove sticker residue inside pricey leather shoes with no ill aftereffects. Good luck!

Best Answer

You can try scraping off what you can with your fingernail, then using fingernail polish remover. Or, another trick I have learned is to use lighter fluid. Again, scrape off what you can, then rub the area with a cotton ball soaked in lighter fluid. Comes right off!

I always use a little cooking oil It works great for gum in the hair too. Just put a dab on the the label and keep rubbing until it is gone.

Put some cooking oil on the label and leave it over night. If any of the label is still attached reapply the oil.

Use lighter fluid or that stuff you put on charcoal to start it.

Mix up some Dawn dish wash liquid and rubbing alcohol in equal parts. Use a small brush or cotton ball to saturate the area of goo and rub well. It should all come off. Good luck

Try BBQ cleaner. Spray on, leave for about 5-10 minutes (depends on how sticky residue is), then wash off with steel wool kitchen scourer. Guaranteed effortless and effective!

SOS pad works great

Coconut oil and coarse salt! Soak the bottle in hot water to peel off as much label as possible. Cover the remnants witn a mix of coconut oil and coarse salt. Let it sit as long as merded and then use a sponge to wash off the mix. Rewash the bottle.

Heat the label with my hair dryer and then pull slowly from one corner. Any thing left I treat with thin layer of peanut butter. Let set 5-10 minutes and rub off.

February 23, 2010 Flag

I have lots of empty medicine bottles. I like to use them for all kinds of things like salad dressing in a lunch box, toothpick holder for purse, etc. The one problem I have is getting all the sticky stuff off of the bottle after I remove the label. I take the label off and soak the bottle in water. I've used Goo Gone and tried scraping gently with a knife, but the outside is still sticky. Is there a good way to remove the residue?

Grandma B from Coshocton, OH

Answers:

Removing Label Residue On Bottles

Try using eucalyptus oil. I saw it on "How Clean is Your House." It worked at removing stickers, etc. (10/13/2008)

By Sara

Removing Label Residue On Bottles

A great product called Goo Gone works like a charm! You can find it at Walmart, and just recently I found it at the Dollar Tree. It has a nice smell as well. It even takes off old tape and all kinds of sticky stuff. Good luck! (10/13/2008)

Removing Label Residue On Bottles

I have had luck with using your fingernail and loosening the short end of the label a bit all the way down until you can get a little bit of a grip on it. You want it where it pulls up clean without leaving paper or traces of residue. Really slowly pull the label off. If you do it too fast it will leave more of the sticky stuff behind. (Sorry, it's harder to describe than I thought.) Then if there are a few bits of sticky residue, I have used cooking oil on a cotton ball.

Sometimes on jars with hard to remove labels, I fill the inside of the jar with hot water to loosen the glue. Sometimes it loosens the glue easily, sometimes it makes it stickier. (10/14/2008)

By Kaelle

Removing Label Residue On Bottles

Use nail polish remover. It works great! (10/15/2008)

By my-secret

Removing Label Residue On Bottles

I wanted to share that I use a vegetable spray (Like Pam or Mazola, or any store brand) to remove the labels and sticky residue that is left. Just 'spritz' the label (mush around with your finger if you want, but just keep the label wet). Let sit about 10 min.

Scrape off the paper label, then 'spritz' again and let sit another few minutes. I've used this method many times on many things and it's much easier then the scraping. I have tried GOO GONE in the past but it never seemed to work for me. :( And the Pam spray is much cheaper and usually in the cabinet. (10/15/2008)

By Simply Joyful

Removing Label Residue On Bottles

I use a hair dryer to remove sticky labels. It usually leaves no residue. (10/15/2008)

By Pat

Removing Label Residue On Bottles

I usually use WD40; spray it on, let it sit, peel the label off, wipe any residue with a paper towel, then wash them all in soapy water. Looks like more steps than it is. I have even used it to successfully remove sticker residue inside pricey leather shoes with no ill after effects. Good luck! (10/15/2008)

By purrplekat

Removing Label Residue On Bottles

Lighter fluid works and has never let me down! (10/24/2008)

By Shell

Removing Label Residue On Bottles

Lighter fluid works every time. (12/11/2008)

By bestbiddy

Spaghetti Sauce Jar with Torn Label
Removing Labels from Glass Jars
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceFebruary 23, 2010
Old Perfume Bottle
Uses for Old Perfume Bottles
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Removing a bandaid and leaving behind some adhesive residue.
Removing Adhesive Residue on Skin
Empty Wine Bottles
Finding Empty Wine Bottles
🎉
🎄