Sympathy Gift for a Friend

When my husband's friend's mom passed away 2 months ago, we wanted to give him and his wife something special to remember her by. I phoned the local florist and they said that the smallest floral arrangement would be $35.00. I then phoned the local plant nursery and asked the prices of rose bushes. I wanted a rose bush that would be hardy to our area (Zone 3). For $20.00 I bought a hardy rose bush in a 2 gallon pot. The nursery even tied a big raffia bow on the pot and put a sympathy card on a clear plastic stick into the plant. Our friends were thrilled and even brought me into their back yard to find the best place to plant the rose bush. The rose will bloom each summer and last far longer than a flower arrangement.

In the future, if we wish to give someone special a sympathy gift in the wintertime when a rose bush cannot be purchased at a nursery (we live in Canada) I will purchase a single rose at a florist and give it to them with the promise of a rose bush to come in spring.

This is a nice idea, however, for me, roses don't like me (I love them but they die) and I live in Canada, so that doesn't always work.

You might want to fiind out first what there outdoor plant interest are first? Maybe a flowering vine? That comes back year after year? Or maybe a flowering dogwood or something.

Just an option. What a wonderful idea you had/have!

"roses don't like me...they die" This is why I did not choose a rose from Walmart or Superstore but rather I went to the local plant nursery and bought a rose bush that was called Winnipeg Parks (developed in Morden, Manitoba). A very very hardy rose that is about 18" to 2' tall and even after last year's hard winter it came back in my yard. A rose bush won't be the most ideal gift for some people but it will sure please a lot of others. Even if it only comes back for a few years in someone's back yard it still means more to them than the flower arrangement that died 10 days after they received it and cost me twice as much as the rose bush did. Someone in an apartment would get a floral arrangement from yard.

Hi, My idea doesn't have anything to do with roses, but great idea!! But when my sister in law's Dad passed on, I'd just had surgery & couldn't go out, I called to a favorite BBQ restaurant in their area & ordered a sizable gift certificate for them to send to my brother & sister in law to use at their convenience. She later wrote that she'd used the gift certificate to take the BBQ to where the family were going to gather after the funeral. She said the whole family got to benefit off our generous gesture. Sure made me feel good that we were able to do so much, even though I wasn't there to be able to hug her neck and offer our sympathy.

Sympathy Gift Ideas: Flowers in a Glass Vase
Sympathy Gift Ideas
Holidays and Parties Gifts AdviceNovember 14, 2004
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Best Friends
Gift Ideas for Your Best Friend
Friendship Gift Package
Making a Friendship Gift Package
Photo of a red rose.
Gift Ideas for an Ailing Friend