Gift Ideas for an Ailing Friend

Category Friendship
Photo of a red rose.
When a friend or family member is ill, choosing the right gift can brighten their day and say how much you care. This is a guide about gift ideas for an ailing friend.

This is just a small tip, but I hope it will be helpful.

I have cancer and so many people have been so kind and sent me all kinds of cards to remember me: get well cards, I'm thinking of you, I'm praying for you - all lovely!

But I was keeping them bound together in a drawer. So one day I decided to use the cards as bookmarks. That way, when I felt low or sick, I could always re-read the cards and be reminded that although I felt alone that particular day, someone was thinking of me! And even though I would re-read the cards when I was having a bad day, now I had the card right in my hand.

If I could take one more minute for something really important. Please, if you know someone who is sick, please don't forget them! If you sent one card, throw in another postcard or a picture your child colored, throw it in the mail.

As a sick person, my world has become very small. I live for texts, mail, emails-anything. I can't participate on holidays, get-togethers, birthdays, etc., so when people write me about their lives, it's wonderful for me! I love to write back and tell them what's happening in my life too.

I have a good friend in another state. If we lived near each other I know we'd see each other. She would give the shirt off her back for me and I'd do the same for her. But when I got sick last year, things changed. I never got even a card from her. It hurt at first, but I know she's scared. I'm scared too sometimes! But my wish would be that she'd reach down deep, get past the fear and remember me more often.

Well, it's a tiny tip and one that I'm sure you heard before, but it was important to me, to remind myself that people loved me still and had not forgotten me.

If I could give you 100 thumbs up, I would. That is the kind of tips we need more of. Yours was heartfelt, meaningful, and simple. I hope more people will do just what you suggested.

My thoughts are with you, dear stranger. Please keep us up to date on your progress.

Sandi/Poor But Proud

Hello - you sound as though you have found a way to cope with your illness and that is better than some who are having trouble just learning to sort out their daily lives.

May God bless you in your time of need and I thank you for bringing reality to a few who read your message.

What a wonderful post. Thank you for the reminder. Sometimes we get so busy in our lives we often forget the simple things. Simple things that might mean a lot to someone and so often not the people you may think need it.

Stay strong my friend!

Anonymous

What a wonderful and uplifting tip and truly beautiful reminder to others to not forget (nor be afraid) of ill loved ones and even to neighbors or strangers!

Although my disease is not cancer I can completely empathize about a limited small world (four years now), of feeling forgotten or ignored by friends because of fear or of how they think they should act. I hope this will be of help to you; I've found if you broach the subject with them that it opens the door to talk about it and put them at ease. In my case having done so has turned things back to normal with them.

Am so sorry for your illness :-( Haven't seen anything posted here from you since last spring so at least now we know why and hope you will keep us posted as to what is going on in your life and how you're doing. I also hope you get better soon, soon, soon so you can take that trip to England that you've dreamed of!