Best Way To Store Tomatoes

By anna 1 2

What is the best way to store tomatoes? I have been told never to refrigerate because tomatoes lose their taste.

Showing: Answers Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

If they are green and you want to ripen them, put them in a brown paper bag. Or wrap them in news paper and lay in a single layer, keeping them in a cool dark place, depending on how long you want them to keep, but not direct sunlight. If you want them to ripen quickly, place them in a warm place, but not direct sunlight. I find this works better then putting them in the frig. I also just leave them out of the frig. if there already ripe.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I just bring them home from the store or in season in from the garden and lay them on the kitchen counter in a basket lined with paper towels top side down single layer and they are fine for several days. Check for bad spots now and then, but I have always done this and it works for me.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By lavonneann 6 214 Flag

In a basket on the counter.

If they seem to be getting too soft, dice them and freeze for cooking use.

NEVER refrigerate tomatoes. They will have no taste.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Debbie Dzurilla 28 1,125 Flag

Tomatoes lose their flavor when refrigerated. I always just leave mine on the counter or in the window sill if they still need a little ripening. The only time I refrigerate is if I am marinating them or have put some in a salad.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

I too, just store them on the counter in a paper towel lined bowl or basket. If I have green ones from the garden that I want to ripen quickly, I put an apple, especially a couple of crabapples from my tree (same season) in with the green tomatoes, and they ripen more quickly. If you have a lot of green tomatoes to ripen gradually, store them in a box or paper lined plastic tray. My grandmother stored them under the bed, but any cooler (not refrigerated) dry place would do. Do not put them in a sunny window. Off the vine, they do not need sun to ripen. It just leads to early spoilage.

Louise, SK Canada

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By D-Mc 42 Flag

Tomatoes can be frozen whole. Just wash and put in a paper bag. When you need to use one, just run it under cold water. The skin will come right off. Let it thaw out and use as any other tomato.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Storing Tomatoes
Storing Tomatoes
Food and Recipes StorageAugust 19, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Canned Tomatoes on White Background
Canning Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
Storing Tomatoes
Storing Tomatoes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 11:04:52 AM on 10.0.1.169 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings