Cleaning Faux Fur

I have a beautiful 30 year old brown faux fur chaise, quite a conversation piece of furniture. What type of cleaning solution is best for this piece of furniture? Please help. Thank you.

By Joyce from Bloomfield, CT

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

May 2, 2011 Flag

I use a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to clean my brown faux fur chaise lounge, which was purchased in 1975. Cleaning this piece of furniture with white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide brings it "back to life" each and every time I clean it. (without stripping the color) It's amazing! Try it and be prepared to grin!

By akiba37 from Bloomfield, CT

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 3, 2010 Flag

How to clean a discolored "borganna" faux fur jacket from the late 1950s, early 60s

Jane's Clean Up from Dallas, TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

February 22, 2010 Flag

Can someone tell me how to get stains out of faux fur?

By Linda from MI

Answers:

Cleaning Faux Fur

Sometimes you can clean faux fur or hair the way you clean suede. Put it in a bag with a small handful of baking powder. Seal the bag and shake long and well, but not really hard. Take it out of the bag and brush the remaining baking powder off of the item. This is also used for cleaning vintage stuffed animals. If you can get a baby's brush, it's much better than the hard plastic or boar's hair brushes for adults. A suede brush is perfect for suede, but could pull faux hair out of the fabric if it has copper wire, as well as horsehair.

It does depend on what the stain is, but you can steam clean faux fur, but not suede you'll ruin it if you steam clean it. Make sure it isn't in fragile condition. First, just steam it and use a cloth towel to pat and wipe it dry. If that takes the stain out, you're good to go, if not, use a tiny bit of Woolite in water in a spray bottle, squirt the stain, pat or gently wipe with a clean cloth towel and see if anything comes out.

If your faux fur is on a "camel hair" jacket, the jacket can also be cleaned by brushing baking soda on it.

If what you are trying to clean is water safe, and the stains are oil based, you can soak it in water softener (20 Mule Team or White King). Do not do this on suede, leather, real fur, or any oil based or natural product, it will take the oils out, make it brittle and ruin it.

I hope this helps you, and anyone else who comes looking for an answer. It might be more than you need, but I thought I'd put it out there, just in case. (01/07/2010)

By nekocat

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning ClothingFebruary 22, 2010
Cleaning Mink Fur
Cleaning Mink Fur
Bunny Losing Its Fur
Bunny Losing Its Fur
Faux Fur
Fixing Matted Faux Fur
White fake cake of boxes and bows
Faux Wedding Cake Ideas
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 8:03:02 AM on 10.0.0.82 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.