Cleaning a Popcorn Ceiling

I have dust from a ceiling fan on my popcorn ceiling. How do I clean it?

By rmewife from Enterprise, AL

Best Answer

Most popcorn ceilings contain asbestos. Anything containing asbestos should not be moved around - washed, removed, whatever. As you were washing your ceiling you might not notice tiny airborne pieces of asbestos flaking off, but if you inhaled any of it - you might be setting up a problem for your lungs. My husband has mesotheilioma - essentially lung cancer - from asbestos exposure. Please read about popcorn ceiling by googling for info. The recommendation is to have some of your ceilings' material tested for asbestos. Some of the popcorn ceilings do not contain asbestos (but very few). I hope you are lucky & yours is safe.

Anonymous

Hi! I know you posted this along time ago but I am concerned for my and my coworkers health. We have been renovating our office building and removed our popcorn ceiling and painted it. There is some little white flakes of something still coming off the ceiling onto our desks, floor, and copier. Do you think this may be asbestos? The building is over 60 years old.

Best Answer

I would lightly vacuum with the extension pole and re-paint with ceiling paint. They make a ceiling paint that goes on light blue and dries to white. It is easier to see where you have painted. Just don't wet it with water, you could have your ceiling coming down around your ears!

Best Answer

I bought one of the new Swiffer dusters, the one with the handle that can be made longer. That works real well for cleaning my popcorn ceiling that gets dirty from ceiling fan. The handle isn't as long as I would like, but this duster goes over it so lightly it doesn't make the wonderful popcorn break off, and it gets rid of the dust. My ceiling was really bad and I had to use two of fluffy duster things to get the job done, but I am satisfied.

Best Answer

If you want to get rid of the popcorn ceiling altogether, find a person who knows how to skim coat and they'll make it disappear. We did that in my daughter's bathroom and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. For now, though, I'll have to continue vacuuming the ceiling in my room.

Best Answer

Take a 6 inch putty knife and start where the ceiling meets the wall, Tilt blade between 15-45 degrees and firmly press the blade against the ceiling and drag it and, presto BAM, popcorn comes off super easy. If you master the six inch, go get the 12 inch or bigger to get it done faster. Textured or "stomped" ceiling will require a professional remove it, unless you have the big skimmer tool or a Tim Allen belt sander. But popcorn easy as pie.

Best Answer

I don't know about other countries, but asbestos was banned in the USA in 1977. Popcorn ceilings continued to be popular in home building, however, bits of styrofoam instead of asbestos were used. So you needn't worry about asbestos unless your home was built prior to 1977.

We bought a home built in 1992 that has popcorn ceilings throughout. They are a terrible pain to clean and seem to collect every bit of dust in the air.

I use one of those fluffy long-handled dusters to do iit but still manage to knock down "popcorn bits" every time.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Use a broom with a soft cloth secured over the bristles and gently brush the debris away. If you don't know the age of the popcorn ceiling be sure to wear a mask because the popcorn ceilings installed prior to the 1980's more than likely contain asbestos. Also be sure to clean up all droppings right after wiping the ceiling that might have fallen and wash the cloth used.

I keep a broom special for that purpose and sweep the area that is dusty.

It shouldn't be disturbed at all because most popcorn ceilings contain asbestos and asbestos is a known carcinogenic.

Hello, I use a webster. It is a dust stick you can buy at Lome depot/Lowes. Not all popcorn ceilings contain asbestos (we had ours tested for $60.00) so you might want to consider having that done.