Cleaning a Christening Dress

I'm trying to get my daughter's baptism dress whiter. Please help.

By Karen from Melrose, MN

How about washing with Boraxo?

Soak it in Oxy Clean.

which oxyxlean? the powder and to what ratio of oxyclean to water. material is a little worn at the yellow stains. I need to be careful. thank you not on facebook or a thriftifun user.

Yup, I agree with Bkvander, soak it in Oxyclean. My sister did one that was 70+ years old and it came out white as can be!

February 7, 2011 Flag

I want to used my old baptismal dress on a grandchild, but it is 40 years old and has turned yellow. How can I get it back to white?

By Wavey from Nova Scotia, Canada

Cleaning a Christening Dress

Believe it or not fill your sink and put in Dreft baby laundry soap, hot water and a 3/4 cup of bleach. Fill your sink full and mix the water well, add gown. Soak 10-15 minutes swishing gown and pulling up and down in water then letting sit in between. This gets all yellowing creases in gown. Check after ten minutes to see how white it is. If it needs a couple more minutes keep swishing. This way soap and bleach reach every part of gown. When satisfied drain sink, rinse thoroughly with warm water. Fill sink again with warm water and fabric softener only and repeat previous process. Soak and swish about 10 -15 minutes. Empty sink, wring out, and throw in dryer for 7 minutes on delicate then hang dry. When it is dry, iron as necessary. (01/12/2010)

Cleaning a Christening Dress

Soak it in OxiClean, it will look like new. (01/12/2010)

By RealtorRose

Cleaning a Christening Dress

Maybe vinegar will help, just soak it a few minutes. Check to see what's going on or call a dry cleaner to see what they suggest. Good luck. (01/13/2010)

By kffrmw88

Cleaning a Christening Dress

First check to see what the fabric is before treating it with anything. (01/17/2010)

By wasshrunk

Cleaning a Christening Dress

Orvus is what the pros would use. (01/17/2010)

By muttmom

Cleaning a Christening Dress

Don't take amateur advice on an heirloom dress. Take it to a good dry cleaner and get their advice. It depends on so many things; fabric, age, etc. (01/17/2010)

By Stngray

January 12, 2010 Flag

How do you clean a 30 year old christening dress?

JEAN from Philadelphia, PA

Cleaning a Christening Dress

We are expecting our very first grandchild in February. I was terrified to clean and whiten our family
heirloom christening dress which was hand made in 1935. I used a soaking solution of Clorox Oxygen Action, warm water, and a sprinkle of laundry soap, soaking for about 15 minutes. The soft batiste fabric is now beautifully white and clean, and I am very happy with the results. (09/16/2006)

By cindy

September 10, 2006 Flag

Can Oxi clean whiten 32 year old christening gown? I am afraid to use this listed way even though I know it may work. The 1 cup dishwasher detergent w/tide and one cup clorex use to work great on my daughter's white nurses uniforms and my sons white football/baseball pants. I use to soak them overnight, then put through wash cycle. then I would put thru another wash cycle.

Joan from Rutherford, NJ

Whitening a Christening Gown

A number of years ago, before Oxi clean was on the market, I had a similar problem. I used Biz and CloroxII (all fabric bleach) with great results. I would dissolve equal parts of each in a small amount of hot water and then add enough cold water to cover the clothing items. Add the clothing to the cooled down solution, not the hot. I think 1/2 cup of each to 1 or 1 1/2 gallon of water would work. I let this soak for several days and just checked it daily to see if the stains were gone yet. The dishwasher detergent works but I feel that it is a very strong bleach and might harm fragile fabrics. Dishwasher detergent also has a very fine abrasive ingredient in it to "scrub" the dirty dishes clean so I don't use it with any fabrics. My son's old baby clothes, and baptisimal outfit, were packed away clean, but 30 years later had ugly brown stains on them! I could only guess they were from old formula/spit up stains that appeared to be washed out but still remained in the fabric. I'm happy to report they all came out......much to my surprise and relief! (09/04/2006)

By Grandma Margie

Whitening a Christening Gown

If the Oxi-clean doesn't work, why not give old-fashioned laundry bluing a try?

It's recommended for delicate whites and can be used to soak and hand wash something like a Christening gown.

Here's the URL to some info on bluing:

Just a thought... (09/04/2006)

By sylviecyn

Whitening a Christening Gown

We had several family heirloom articles that needed whitening.
Because they were old and fragile mom did not want to use harsh detergents with chemicals.
Lather the aritcle really well with the ivory soap (the classic bar...).
Let the article sit with the soap in it. The soap lather will whiten the article gently.... it may be necessary to repeat the process depending on how yellowed the gown is... (09/04/2006)

By Miss Cris

Christening Gown
Cleaning a Old Christening Gown
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryFebruary 7, 2011
selecting a wedding dress
Selecting a Wedding Dress
Tablecloth Dress
Making a Tablecloth Dress
Baptism Gift Idea
Baptism Gift Ideas
Renewing Vows in a Wedding Dress
Choosing a Dress to Renew Your Vows